Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
These Are the
Songs of the Decade
Dec 3, 2019 10:50 AM CST
These Are the Most-Streamed Songs of the Decade
Ed Sheeran, Drake come out on top
- As we approach the end of the 2010s, Spotify is out with the most-streamed songs and artists of the decade, per the BBC . The top five songs streamed around the world:
Ed Sheeran, "Shape of You"
Drake, Kyla, Wizkid, "One Dance"
Post Malone, "rockstar (feat. 21 Savage)"
John Legend's 'Baby,
It's Cold Outside' Redo
Not Going Over Well
Nov 5, 2019 10:25 AM CST
John Legend's 'Baby, It's Cold Outside' Redo Not Going Over Well
Legend changed the lyrics to make them less 'date-rapey,' not everyone is pleased
- "Baby It's Cold Outside" has become a bit controversial in the #MeToo era, so when John Legend recorded the 1944 holiday classic for the upcoming deluxe edition of his Christmas album, he decided to change the lyrics. That decision isn't going over well with some big names....
Lizzo's 'Truth Hurts'
Hit With Plagiarism Claim
Oct 16, 2019 7:21 AM CDT
Lizzo's 'Truth Hurts' Hit With Plagiarism Claim
Songwriting brothers say they're responsible for key line
- There's a battle raging over Lizzo's anthem "Truth Hurts"—the second longest-running No. 1 hit tied to a female rapper, with six weeks atop the Billboard's Hot 100 chart, per
. As the
New York Times
reports, two songwriting brothers lay claim to a signature...
This 3-Minute 1980s Song
Baffles Internet Sleuths
in case you missed it
Oct 12, 2019 1:45 PM CDT
This 3-Minute 1980s Song Baffles Internet Sleuths
Nobody can figure out the group
- If you took 3 minutes to listen to this song and then were somehow able to identify the group behind it, you'd make a lot of people happy all over the world. Why? As
explains, the song just happens to be nicknamed the "Most Mysterious Song...
Says He Was Fired Over Age
Aug 6, 2019 10:35 AM CDT
Composer Sues, Says He Was Fired Over Age
Alf Clausen, 78, is suing Fox
- Alf Clausen was fired from his role as composer for
in 2017 after 27 years on the job , and he says he was told the show was "taking the music in a different direction." But the real reason, the 78-year-old says in a lawsuit against Fox,...
Jul 30, 2019 7:40 AM CDT
A 'Rare Takedown' Over Katy Perry Song
9-person panel decides singer's 'Dark Horse' sounds too much like Christian tune 'Joyful Noise'
- A jury's verdict that Katy Perry's 2013 hit "Dark Horse" improperly copied a 2009 Christian rap song represents a rare takedown of a pop superstar and her elite producer by a relatively unknown artist, and sets up a battle over damages that will begin Tuesday. Monday's...
Long Battle Over a Famous
Song Is Finally Over
May 24, 2019 9:56 AM CDT
Long Battle Over a Famous Song Is Finally Over
Mick Jagger, Keith Richards relinquish royalties over 'Bitter Sweet Symphony' by the Verve
- You've surely heard the song " Bitter Sweet Symphony ," which made stars of the band the Verve in the 1990s. What you may not have known is that the song has since been embroiled in a copyright dispute involving none other than Mick Jagger and Keith Richards of...
Ticket Paid Thanks
to Song She Blasted
May 22, 2019 9:35 AM CDT
Driver's Speeding Ticket Paid Thanks to Song She Blasted
Singer Halsey heard fan was rocking out to 'Nightmare' when she was pulled over
- This writer is apparently not the only one convinced the foot gets heavier when a good song comes on the radio. A fan of singer Halsey confessed Tuesday to getting a first-ever speeding ticket while listening to the new single "Nightmare." "When asked why I was going...
This Might Be This
May 10, 2019 9:26 AM CDT
This Might Be This Summer's Earworm
'I Don't Care' features Justin Bieber and Ed Sheeran, and critics like it
- Ever felt socially awkward at a soiree? What the
calls the "most surefire pop hit of the year," featuring "two seismic stars, one super-producer, and a chorus that only leaves your head after surgery," may speak to you. The stars: Ed Sheeran and Justin Bieber....
Kids Song 'as Infectious as
Anthrax' Is Climbing the Charts
Jan 11, 2019 10:31 AM CST
Kids Song 'as Infectious as Anthrax' Is Climbing the Charts
You'll be hearing 'Baby Shark' in your head all weekend now
- If you're a fan of fins, or under the age of 5, you'll be pleased with one of the Billboard Hot 100's newest hits. Otherwise, you'll likely just be fascinated at how "Baby Shark," a children's song about sharks, is now making its...
One Book Was 'Obviously'
Obama's Favorite in 2018
Dec 28, 2018 1:43 PM CST
One Book Was 'Obviously' Obama's Favorite in 2018
Former president gives thumbs-up to his wife's 'Becoming,' plus other favorite books, songs, and films
- Barack Obama on Friday offered on Facebook what has become a tradition for him: a list of his favorite books, songs, and movies for the year. Obama not only includes picks that he found "most thought-provoking, inspiring, or just plain loved"—he also places a spotlight on "...
No. 1 Song
of Year: the
Dec 17, 2018 12:12 PM CST
No. 1 Song of Year: the 'Anthem 2018 Deserves'
According to Digg, Ariana Grande rules the roost with 'Thank U, Next'
- "Everyone" has weighed in, and they've told Digg what the best songs of 2018 are. The site confesses it didn't use a "super fancy algorithm" to figure out what tunes were resonating with the people at large. Instead, a "human Digg Editor" pored over a...
After 43 Years,
a New Honor for
Queen's Iconic Hit
Dec 11, 2018 12:58 PM CST
After 43 Years, a New Honor for Queen's Iconic Hit
'Bohemian Rhapsody' becomes most-streamed song out of 20th century
- Queen's " Bohemian Rhapsody " came out in 1975, but it just earned a new honor. The song passed 1.6 billion global streams, according to label Universal Music Group, making it the most streamed song out of the 20th century. The count includes streams on Spotify, Apple Music,...
'Baby, It's Cold Outside':
Dec 8, 2018 7:00 AM CST
Cosby 'Ruined' 'Baby, It's Cold Outside': Songwriter's Daughter
Susan Loesser says father Frank Loesser would've been 'furious' at the hubbub over his song
- A new person is weighing in on the controversy over a Christmas classic : the daughter of the man who wrote the song. Susan Loesser, 74, tells NBC News that songwriter Frank Loesser would've been "furious" at his tune being pulled from the radio, noting that it was a...
Student Performance of Disney
Song Called a 'Violating Ritual'
Dec 4, 2018 11:58 AM CST
Student Performance of Disney Song Called a 'Violating Ritual'
Princeton's Tigertones regret causing offense
- An all-male a cappella group at Princeton University has temporarily pulled
The Little Mermaid
's "Kiss the Girl" from its set list after its performance of the song was declared an "offensive and violating ritual." Sophomore Noa Wollstein argued in an op-ed in the
Popular Holiday Song
Cut in #MeToo Era
Dec 3, 2018 11:30 AM CST
Popular Holiday Song Cut in #MeToo Era
Cleveland's WDOK says 'Baby, It's Cold Outside' is 'inappropriate'
- A Cleveland radio station says it has stopped playing "Baby, It's Cold Outside" after listeners said the song heard on countless holiday playlists is inappropriate. They're certainly not the first to question the song's undertones and criticize the duet, in which one singer tries to persuade...
Mariah Carey Proves the
Christmas Creep Is Real
Nov 29, 2018 9:15 AM CST
Mariah Carey Proves the Christmas Creep Is Real
'All I Want for Christmas Is You' has already cracked Billboard Hot 100
- It's Nov. 29. If you've already had enough of the decorations and Christmas music, it's possible you're not a Scrooge—you're just suffering from overexposure. The "Christmas creep" appears to have begun earlier than usual this year, if Mariah Carey's "All I...
Auschwitz Inmates' Song Tells
of 'Most Beautiful Time of Life'
Nov 27, 2018 11:41 AM CST
Auschwitz Inmates' Song Tells of 'Most Beautiful Time of Life'
It's been recorded for first time since WWII
- Patricia Hall went to the Auschwitz-Birkenau Museum in 2016 hoping to learn more about the music performed by prisoners in World War II death camps. The University of Michigan music theory professor heard there were manuscripts, but she was "completely thrown" by what she found in the card catalogs:...
Marching Band Delivers Big
Game's Most Touching Moment
Nov 26, 2018 12:43 PM CST
Marching Band Delivers Big Game's Most Touching Moment
Washington State plays University of Washington's fight song after UW bus accident
- The Washington State University Cougars faced off Friday against the University of Washington's Huskies during their annual Apple Cup football matchup, but it was the Cougars' marching band that ended up generating the most buzz. That's because they played "Bow Down to Washington," the opposing team'...
Drake Just Broke an
Old Beatles Record
Oct 23, 2018 10:25 AM CDT
Drake Just Broke an Old Beatles Record
He notches his 12th top-10 hit of the year
- Drake is averaging more than one top-10 hit per month in 2018, and his remarkable roll just allowed him to surpass a long-standing milestone of the Beatles. Drake just notched his 12th top 10 in a single year, beating the 11 put up by the Beatles in 1964, reports
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
After Father's 14-Year Search, Abducted Boy Is Found
More Bad News for Chris Cuomo
'For 45 Years, We've Looked for This Young Man and This Car'
Scott Peterson Resentenced to Life Without Parole
Somebody Torched the Christmas Tree at Fox News HQ
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.