Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Apple Music Reveals
No. 1 Song of the Year
Nov 29, 2022 11:16 AM CST
Apple Music Reveals No. 1 Song of the Year
'Stay' by The Kid Laroi and Justin Bieber tops the list
- "Stay," the smash hit by The Kid Laroi and Justin Bieber, topped Apple Music's global songs chart in 2022 as the giant music streamer released its end-of-year lists and provided listeners with data on their own most listened-to tunes. Some details, per the AP :
Lana Del Rey
Begs Fans Not
to Listen to
Oct 20, 2022 8:09 AM CDT
Lana Del Rey Begs Fans Not to Listen to Stolen Songs
Singer says devices—including one with 200 pages of book she was penning—were lifted from her car
- Celebrities—they're just like us! They, too, leave important items in their car that can get lifted when someone breaks in, as Lana Del Rey recently found out. Deadline reports that the 37-year-old
singer revealed on Wednesday in a series of Instagram videos that earlier this year,...
His Songwriting Resume
Aug 9, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
His Songwriting Resume Is Astonishing
Lamont Dozier, who helped write some of Motown's biggest hits, dies at 81
- Lamont Dozier, the middle name of the celebrated Holland-Dozier-Holland team that wrote and produced dozens of hits and helped make Motown an essential record company of the 1960s and beyond, has died at age 81, per the AP . In Motown’s historic rise, Holland-Dozier-Holland stood out even compared to such...
Another Beyonce Song Takes
a Hit, This Time From Lewinsky
Aug 3, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
Another Beyonce Song Takes a Hit, This Time From Lewinsky
Anti-bullying advocate wants her name removed from 2013's 'Partition'
- Since Beyonce will follow Lizzo in removing the word "spaz" from a song on her new record, Monica Lewinsky figures it's a good time to push for the removal of her name from another of the artist's tracks. In response to Monday's news that the singer...
During Traffic Stop
Aug 2, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
Officer, 24, Gunned Down During Traffic Stop
Suspect with a history of shooting at cops vowed to kill officers in song: police
- A man accused of fatally shooting a police officer in the head during a traffic stop recorded a song in which he stated he would kill any police officer who "caught" him, according to Indiana State Police. Carl Roy Webb Boards II, 42, released from parole a year ago,...
You've Sung It
Plenty in Bars.
Now, This Song
Gets Its Own Film
Jul 19, 2022 9:09 AM CDT
You've Sung It Plenty in Bars. Now, This Song Gets Its Own Film
Paramount+ documentary on Don McLean's 'American Pie' is 'mandatory viewing' for fans
- Don McLean has listened for decades as people belted out his classic song "American Pie" at last call or at karaoke—and applauds you for the effort. "I've heard whole bars burst into this song when I've been across the room," McLean told the AP...
After 'Ableist' Song Lyric,
Lizzo Makes Amends
Jun 14, 2022 7:18 AM CDT
After 'Ableist' Song Lyric, Lizzo Makes Amends
In new single 'Grrrls,' singer used the word 'spaz,' which didn't go over well with disabled community
- Lizzo has a new album coming out, and one of the singles from it is already drawing backlash. "Grrrls" was released Friday, off of the upcoming
, and the 34-year-old singer and rapper posted on Tuesday how she made the decision to change one of the lyrics after it...
to Rock Us With
'Little Gem' From
Jun 7, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
Queen About to Rock Us With 'Little Gem' From Freddie Mercury
Band to share previously unreleased song 'Face It Alone' in September
- We're still allowed to have nice things. At least if you're a Queen fan, based on news from founding members Brian May and Roger Taylor.
reports that the two recently sat down with BBC Radio 2 and made a revelation sure to please devotees of the band:...
Alicia Keys, Wu-Tang Clan
Albums Claim a Major Honor
Apr 13, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Alicia Keys, Wu-Tang Clan Albums Claim a Major Honor
25 songs, albums, and even a podcast are added into National Recording Registry
- Critically acclaimed debut albums by Wu-Tang Clan and Alicia Keys, Ricky Martin's Latin pop megahit "Livin' La Vida Loca," and Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" are among the recordings being inducted this year into the National Recording Registry. The Library of Congress announced on Wednesday the 25...
Not-So-Great Vibrations for
Brian Wilson, Ex Lead to Suit
Mar 31, 2022 3:50 PM CDT
Not-So-Great Vibrations for Brian Wilson, Ex Lead to Suit
Marilyn Wilson-Rutherford says she's entitled to more cash after Wilson sold song rights to UMPG
- Marilyn Wilson-Rutherford was married to Brian Wilson from 1964 to 1978, a 14-year stretch during which the Beach Boys co-founder helped write some of the group's biggest hits, including "Good Vibrations," "California Girls," and "Wouldn't It Be Nice." Now, a year after...
It Took 59 Weeks, but
This Song Is Now No. 1
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Mar 12, 2022 5:05 PM CST
It Took 59 Weeks, but This Song Is Now No. 1
Glass Animals' "Heat Waves" breaks record for longest time to reach top spot on Billboard Hot 100
- "Heat Waves" has been simmering on the Billboard Hot 100 chart for 59 long weeks, but the mercury finally bubbled over for Glass Animals, who hit No. 1 this week and set a record for the longest climb to the top of the rankings,
reports. The song...
Universal Picks Up Another
Huge Music Catalog
Feb 28, 2022 10:30 AM CST
Universal Picks Up Another Huge Music Catalog
Music group just bought the rights to Neil Diamond's song collection, including 'Sweet Caroline'
- Universal Music Group has been on a shopping spree. First it scooped up the rights to Bob Dylan's lyrics and compositions , then Sting's song catalog , and now it's got a new acquisition to brag about. The music corporation has purchased the rights to Neil Diamond's entire...
Jan 29, 2022 8:45 AM CST
Spotify Loses Another Big Name Over 'Irresponsible People'
Singer Joni Mitchell joins Neil Young in pushing back against Joe Rogan podcast, COVID misinfo
- Spotify has agreed to remove Neil Young's songs from its music-streaming platform—at Young's request, in protest of Joe Rogan's podcast and other COVID misinformation—and now it's got another famous name following suit. On Friday, singer-songwriter Joni Mitchell announced she, too, would be yanking her...
Takes on Blur
'F---ed Up' Claim
Jan 25, 2022 10:20 AM CST
Taylor Swift Takes on Blur Singer's 'Really 'F---ed Up' Claim
Damon Albarn said in a recent interview that Swift doesn't write her own songs
- Say what you will about Taylor Swift's music, but don't ever accuse her of not writing her own tunes. Damon Albarn could've used that advice before he did a recent interview with the
Los Angeles Times
, in which he claimed just that. The 32-year-old "Trouble" singer...
Heidi Klum Teams Up With
Snoop Dogg on New Song
Jan 19, 2022 10:15 AM CST
Heidi Klum Teams Up With Snoop Dogg on New Song
'This is like [the] dream of all dreams for me,' says supermodel
- Heidi Klum has traveled the world, stunned on runways and magazine covers, appeared in movies and TV shows, hosted and produced TV shows of her own, and won an Emmy. But the supermodel and businesswoman has apparently only just achieved her topmost goal: making a song with Snoop Dogg. The...
The Boss Might've
Just Made Biggest
Music Deal Ever
Dec 16, 2021 6:26 AM CST
The Boss Might've Just Made Biggest Single-Artist Music Deal Ever
Bruce Springsteen reportedly just sold his entire music, publishing catalogs to Sony for $500M
- They don't call him The Boss for nothing.
is the first to come in with a report that Bruce Springsteen has inked what may be the largest single-artist music deal ever, selling both his entire music catalog and publishing catalog to Sony for $500 million. The 72-year-old artist...
Logic's Song About Suicide May
Have Saved Hundreds of Lives
Dec 14, 2021 9:50 AM CST
Logic's Song About Suicide May Have Saved Hundreds of Lives
Reduction in suicides, increase in lifeline calls followed interest in hip-hop artist's '1-800-273-8255'
- A hit 2017 song describing suicidal ideation, whose title is the number of the US National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, may have saved hundreds of lives, according to a new study. Hip-hop artist Logic penned "1-800-273-8255" in response to his own feelings of depression, as well as his conversations with...
Grimes Wrote a Song, and
Everyone's Looking at Elon
Dec 7, 2021 10:50 AM CST
Grimes Wrote a Song, and Everyone's Looking at Elon
The lyrics are telling
- Elon Musk is learning what happens when you break up with a singer —everyone starts parsing lyrics for messy details. Such is the case with the new song from Grimes, called "Player of Games." (The pair have a child together named X Æ A-Xii .) Samples from...
Lennon Tape Not Heard for
50 Years Hits Auction Block
Sep 29, 2021 11:50 AM CDT
Lennon Tape Not Heard for 50 Years Hits Auction Block
Includes never-released 'Radio Peace,' performed during John and Yoko's 1970 Denmark visit
- Think you've heard every John Lennon bootleg, remaster, and import? There's a new tape in the mix, unheard for more than 50 years, though you'll have to convince the person who just bought it for $58,300 at auction to play it. The 33-minute recording made in...
List of Best Songs Ever
Sep 16, 2021 2:17 PM CDT
Revises List of Best Songs Ever
Aretha is at No. 1
- A lot has changed since
published its "500 Greatest Songs" list in 2004, "when the iPod was relatively new and Billie Eilish was three years old," the magazine notes . So, with that in mind, "we've decided to give the list a total reboot,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Trump Suggests Suspending the Constitution
Parliament Nears Outlawing Adultery and Insulting President
Troops Seal Off Town, Looking for Gang Members
Scans Show How Pandemic Changed Teenage Brains
Gravel Racing Was on the Rise. Then, a Murder
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.