Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
late night talk show
Stories 1 - 20 |
Sep 18, 2023 12:13 PM CDT
Bill Maher Won't Return Amid Strike After All
HBO host cites possible progress in talks, will wait to see what happens
- Bill Maher is following the lead of Drew Barrymore —he has scrapped plans to resume his HBO talk show amid the Hollywood writers' strike, per the Hollywood Reporter . Maher cited apparent progress in negotiations. "My decision to return to work was made when it seemed nothing was happening...
Live in Fear of
'Bad Jimmy Days'
Sep 7, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Fallon Staffers Live in Fear of 'Bad Jimmy Days'
Article alleges a 'toxic' environment at 'Tonight Show'
magazine is out with a lengthy report that alleges a "toxic" environment on the set of the
Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
. It starts with the host himself, according to the report, which quotes 14 former staffers and two current ones to that effect. On what...
Fired by Fox, Carlson Gets
Skewered on Late Night
Apr 25, 2023 8:23 AM CDT
Fired by Fox, Carlson Gets Skewered on Late Night
After big-name media firings, late-night hosts go to town on Tucker Carlson, Don Lemon
- As Fox employees absorbed the news Monday of Tucker Carlson's ouster , late-night TV used the development as fodder for its own purposes. Show hosts dug into Carlson's seeming support for Russian President Vladimir Putin , takes on Jan. 6 , disgust over a recent M&Ms makeover , anti-LGBTQ views , and...
In One Week, Late Night
Could Take a Hard Hit
Apr 24, 2023 1:57 PM CDT
In One Week, Late Night Could Take a Hard Hit
Looming Hollywood writers strike will affect talk shows, 'SNL' first if deal isn't reached by May 1
- May 1 is the deadline for Hollywood writers, represented by the Writers Guild of America, to reach a contract agreement with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, and if no such deal is struck, the late-night TV arena will be the first to say goodbye to new episodes,...
Late Night on
Mar 31, 2023 7:56 AM CDT
Late Night on Trump Indictment: 'Arrested Developer'
'For the first time in 7 years, Melania is smiling at Mar-a-Lago'
- Stephen Colbert seems to have ignored Rep. Eric Swalwell's call for Americans to not " celebrate nor destroy " over former President Trump's indictment by a New York grand jury. The news was clearly "worth celebrating" for the
host, who opened his show on Thursday...
Jan 24, 2023 9:25 AM CST
Santos Reacts to Late-Night Impersonations of Him
NY congressman especially didn't seem to like Jon Lovitz's impersonation on Fallon's show
- Late night has definitely been going to town on George Santos , the rookie New York congressman who's played fast and loose with several facts both before, during, and after his campaign for the US House of Representatives. Comedian Bowen Yang channeled Santos on
Saturday Night Live
over the weekend,...
Dec 9, 2022 5:51 AM CST
A Parting Trevor Noah Thanks His Hate-Watchers
'We still got the ratings,' host joked as he bid farewell to 'Daily Show ' after 7 years
- "All right, people, let's do this—this is it!" That's how Trevor Noah opened what would be his final episode hosting
The Daily Show
, and it was an emotional one Thursday, with trademark Noah humor. The 38-year-old South African comedian's last night on the program,...
Trevor Noah Is Leaving.
Late Night Is 'as White' as Ever
Dec 8, 2022 1:51 PM CST
Trevor Noah Is Leaving. Late Night Is 'as White' as Ever
Diverse guests added to 'sly radicalism' of 'The Daily Show' under his tenure: Adrian Horton
- After more than seven years as host, Trevor Noah's final episode of
The Daily Show
airs Thursday. The South African comedian previously described his exit as "a joyous thing," noting the pandemic gave him a chance to consider what he'd "like to do differently,"...
Kimmel: I Had to Go After
Trump, Regardless of Cost
Nov 4, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
Kimmel: I Had to Go After Trump, Regardless of Cost
Late-night host said he lost half his audience over his jokes about Donald Trump
- Jimmy Kimmel says telling jokes about Donald Trump cost him half his audience, but he'd do it all again. According to ABC's research, "10 years ago, among Republicans I was the most popular talk show," the
Jimmy Kimmel Live!
host said on Thursday's episode of...
Late-Night Hosts Couldn't
Resist Poking at Ye
Oct 28, 2022 9:48 AM CDT
Late-Night Hosts Couldn't Resist Poking at Ye
Late-night hosts pick fun at 'desperate' Kanye West, Elon Musk's sink
- Late-night hosts had a field day with Kanye West and Elon Musk Thursday night, with Stephen Colbert announcing West wasn’t just restricted from social media platforms but was now banned from
The Late Show
. "I had to do it now because I was afraid that he would just...
Show Is No More
Jul 26, 2022 12:04 AM CDT
Samantha Bee's Show Is No More
'Full Frontal With Samantha Bee' gets the axe
- Samantha Bee's late night show is no more. TBS announced Monday that
will not return in the fall, reports
, which says the series, which ran for seven seasons, had become "a signature program" for the network. "As we continue to shape our new programming...
Had Some Advice
for Biden: Yell
Jun 9, 2022 12:08 AM CDT
Jimmy Kimmel Had Some Advice for Biden: Yell
President gives his first in-person appearance on a late night show
- There weren't a lot of laughs, but President Biden got some unsolicited advice from Jimmy Kimmel on Wednesday when the president sat down for his first in-person interview with a late-night host since taking office, the AP reports. The host of ABC's
Jimmy Kimmel Live!
expressed frustration about...
on Gun Rules:
'This Is Now
May 26, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Kimmel on Gun Rules: 'This Is Now Our Fault'
Late-night hosts tackle the mass shooting in Texas
- Late-night hosts dug into the Texas mass shooting during their Wednesday monologues, often with emotional pleas:
He said he knew when he started his show he'd have days in which he'd have to talk about school shootings before segueing into lighter fare. He added that he
COVID Revisits Late-Night TV
May 2, 2022 6:02 PM CDT
COVID Revisits Late-Night TV
Jimmy Kimmel says he's tested positive and picks a guest host
- No sooner does one late-night TV host return from a bout with COVID-19 than another has to take his leave. Jimmy Kimmel announced Monday that he's got the coronavirus, Deadline reports. "Our daughter brought us covid (even though we specifically asked her not to)," he tweeted , adding...
Kimmel, Fallon Pull Off
Ultimate April Fools' Joke
Apr 2, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
Kimmel, Fallon Pull Off Ultimate April Fools' Joke
The 2 Jimmys swapped coasts, and shows, on Friday night, to the surprise of their audiences
- For two years, Jimmy Fallon and Jimmy Kimmel have been cooking up an April Fools' Day scheme, and on Friday night, the late-night hosts pulled it off, in an epic way. Per
The Hollywood Reporter
, the comedians swapped shows, with Fallon heading to Los Angeles, and Kimmel heading to New...
Bob Saget Tribute
Jan 11, 2022 7:19 AM CST
Kimmel Cries Through Heartfelt Bob Saget Tribute
'He would write sometimes just to tell me he loved me'
- Jimmy Kimmel paid tribute to his friend Bob Saget on Monday night, though it was a struggle. As the Week reports, "he did not make it 20 seconds before choking back tears." The late night host, speaking before the audience had been allowed into the theater, summed up...
Cringe or Applaud, Madonna
Deftly Took Over
Oct 8, 2021 12:55 PM CDT
Cringe or Applaud, Madonna Deftly Took Over
Fallon appeared flustered during 'off the rails' interview
- Madonna did what she does best Thursday night on the
. Not singing, not dancing, but giving people something to argue about. How a person feels about her quoting writer and activist James Baldwin is likely to be how that person feels about Madonna altogether. "Artists are here...
Colbert Uses Willy Wonka
to Explain Congress
Sep 30, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
Colbert Uses Willy Wonka to Explain Congress
He sings about 'reconciliation' in a top hat
- Congress is nearing the end of a monumental week , one in which lawmakers are trying to avert a shutdown as they consider two huge pieces of legislation that could decide the fate of President Biden's legislative agenda. Stephen Colbert attempted to explain all this Wednesday night, in particular the...
She Called Out James Corden,
Is Now Getting Death Threats
in case you missed it
Jul 3, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
She Called Out James Corden, Is Now Getting Death Threats
Petition creator Kim Saira wants an apology for segment she sees as anti-Asian
Late Late Show
host James Corden has vowed to reform his occasional "Spill Your Guts or Fill Your Guts" segment, but that's not enough for critics who call it racist. Some 46,000 people have signed a Change.org petition demanding a public apology, a donation to Asian...
Jun 22, 2021 11:36 AM CDT
Paul Rudd Shows One Final Clip for Conan
And if you know their history, you already know what it is
- Conan O'Brien's TBS show is in its final week, and Mashable notes that Paul Rudd visited Monday night to cap a long-running gag. For roughly 20 years, every time Rudd came on O'Brien's show as a guest to plug a movie, he instead used a bizarre...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
He's Erasing a 2012 Murder, One Pitch at a Time
Motherhood May Bring On Interesting Quirk
Forget WFH. It's Time to WFG
'Open Secret' at Chicken Slaughterhouses: Kids at Work
She Just Broke Marathon Record by 2 Minutes
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.