Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
International Space Station
Stories 1 - 20 |
on Test Do-Over
May 20, 2022 3:08 AM CDT
Boeing Launches Starliner Capsule on Test Do-Over
Crew capsule is taking test dummy to ISS
- Boeing’s crew capsule rocketed into orbit Thursday on a repeat test flight without astronauts, after years of being grounded by flaws that could have doomed the spacecraft. Only a test dummy was aboard. If the capsule reaches the International Space Station on Friday and everything else goes well, two...
4 ISS Astronauts
Splash Down in
Gulf of Mexico
May 6, 2022 4:19 AM CDT
4 ISS Astronauts Splash Down in Gulf of Mexico
It's been a busy month for SpaceX service
- SpaceX brought four astronauts home with a midnight splashdown in the Gulf of Mexico on Friday, capping the busiest month yet for Elon Musk’s taxi service. The three US astronauts and one German in the capsule were bobbing off the Florida coast, near Tampa, less than 24 hours after...
3 Blast Off for Space Station
Visit, Paying $55M Each
Apr 8, 2022 12:27 PM CDT
3 Blast Off for Space Station Visit, Paying $55M Each
SpaceX provides the ride for tourists shelling out big bucks to NASA
- SpaceX launched three rich businessmen and their astronaut escort to the International Space Station on Friday for more than a week’s stay, as NASA joins Russia in hosting guests at the world’s most expensive tourist destination. It’s SpaceX’s first private charter flight to the orbiting lab...
Cosmonauts 'Blindsided' by
Hubbub Over Spacesuits
Apr 6, 2022 6:20 AM CDT
Cosmonauts 'Blindsided' by Hubbub Over Spacesuits
Mark Vande Hei says Russians weren't wearing yellow as statement on Ukraine during ISS arrival
- Last month, three Russian astronauts showed up at the International Space Station sporting bright yellow flight suits with blue accents—Ukraine's colors, leaving some wondering if the cosmonauts were making a statement on Russia's invasion of that country. Wonder no more, because that simply wasn't the case,...
Russia: Sanctions Imperil
Future of Space Station
Apr 2, 2022 3:00 PM CDT
Russia: Sanctions Imperil Future of Space Station
US, other nations' agencies ignored a deadline for lifting penalties
- The head of Russia's space program said Saturday that the future of the International Space Station hangs in the balance after the US, the European Union, and Canadian space agencies missed a deadline to meet Russian demands for lifting sanctions on Russian enterprises and hardware. Dmitry Rogozin, the head...
Russian Astronauts Board
ISS Wearing Surprising Outfits
Mar 19, 2022 10:30 AM CDT
Russian Astronauts Board ISS Wearing Surprising Outfits
Were they wearing Ukraine's colors on purpose, or was it a coincidence?
- For the first time since Russia invaded Ukraine last month, a trio of Russian astronauts arrived at the International Space Station. But when the ISS hatch opened to let them in, their appearance raised some eyebrows, reports Space.com . Oleg Artemyev, Denis Matveyev, and Sergey Korsakov blasted off in their...
Space Station After
Mar 18, 2022 5:05 PM CDT
Cosmonauts Reach Space Station After Russian Warning
NASA administrator plays down comment about supplying rocket engines
- A trio of Russian cosmonauts arrived at the International Space Station on Friday, the first new faces in space since the start of the Russian war in Ukraine. Russian space corporation Roscosmos cosmonauts Oleg Artemyev, Denis Matveyev and Sergey Korsakov blasted off successfully from the Russia-leased Baikonur launch facility in...
International Space Station's
Final Resting Place: Point Nemo
Feb 1, 2022 1:56 PM CST
International Space Station's Final Resting Place: Point Nemo
NASA releases updated transition plan
- NASA on Tuesday provided an updated International Space Station transition plan —including what will happen when deorbit occurs in 2031. The report states that "based on the ISS structural health analysis performed to date, there is high confidence that ISS life can be further extended through 2030,"...
ISS About to
Open Doors to
a Rare Guest
Dec 8, 2021 6:21 AM CST
ISS About to Open Doors to a Rare Guest
Expect to hear from billionaire space tourist Yusaku Maezawa on YouTube, Twitter
- Japanese billionaire Yusaku Maezawa has been launched into space on what CNN calls “the first self-funded tourism mission to the International Space Station in a decade." "In total, seven self-funded individuals have visited the space station and Mr. Maezawa plans to be the 8th and the first...
ISS Takes Unexpected Ride
in 'Wake-Up Call for Mankind'
Dec 3, 2021 7:10 AM CST
ISS Takes Unexpected Ride in 'Wake-Up Call for Mankind'
International Space Station was forced to drop 1K feet to avoid collision with space junk
- Astronauts on the International Space Station took a 1,000-foot plunge on Friday after a piece of decades-old space junk threatened to collide with them. Dmitry Rogozin, who heads up Russia's Roscosmos space agency, says the unscheduled three-minute "evasion maneuver" was set in motion due to space debris,...
'A Pretty Glorious Sight':
SpaceX Delivers Crew to ISS
Nov 12, 2021 12:33 AM CST
'A Pretty Glorious Sight': SpaceX Delivers Crew to ISS
4 astronauts will remain there until spring
- A SpaceX capsule carrying four astronauts pulled up Thursday at the International Space Station, their new home until spring, the AP reports. It took 21 hours for the flight from NASA’s Kennedy Space Center to the glittering outpost. The one German and three US astronauts said it was an...
Nov 9, 2021 12:01 AM CST
SpaceX Crew Splashes Down
Toilet-less astronauts experienced a minor delay getting back to Earth
Following a brief delay, a SpaceX crew of four astronauts returned to Earth Monday, the AP reports. Their capsule streaked through the late night sky like a dazzling meteor before parachuting into the Gulf of Mexico off the coast of Pensacola, Florida. Recovery boats quickly moved in with spotlights,...
Crew Returning in
Nov 3, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
Crew Returning in SpaceX Capsule Must Wear Pee Pads
Toilet issue can't be fixed in Crew Dragon Endeavour capsule docked at the ISS
When four astronauts head home from the International Space Station this month, they'll have to relieve themselves on their person. CNN reports the crew reached the ISS in April, and the SpaceX Crew Dragon Endeavour capsule that has since been waiting to take them home is experiencing the...
Astronauts Dine on
'Best Space Tacos Yet!'
Nov 2, 2021 8:47 AM CDT
Astronauts Dine on 'Best Space Tacos Yet!'
Friday's meal featured ISS' first space-grown Hatch chiles
- NASA astronauts dined Friday on tacos with a star ingredient: some of the first chile peppers grown from seed to maturity in space. Astronaut Megan McArthur tweeted a photo of "my best space tacos yet" consisting of fajita beef, rehydrated tomatoes and artichokes and fresh Hatch chile peppers, which...
Crew Making First Movie
in Space Is Now in Orbit
Oct 5, 2021 2:51 PM CDT
Crew Making First Movie in Space Is Now in Orbit
Three cosmonauts will have parts in movie filmed on ISS
- A Russian actress and a film director rocketed to space Tuesday on a mission to make the world’s first movie in orbit , a project the Kremlin said will help burnish the nation’s space glory. Film star Yulia Peresild and director Klim Shipenko blasted off for the International Space...
Fire, Smoke Alarms
Sound at Space Station
Sep 9, 2021 8:46 AM CDT
Fire, Smoke Alarms Sound at Space Station
Issue may have been related to battery recharge
- Fire and smoke alarms sounded on a Russian segment of the International Space Station early Thursday as the smell of burnt plastic drifted into the US section. Russian space agency Roscosmos described an issue in the Zvezda module, which houses living quarters and has lately been dealing with an air...
Unwanted Space Station
Aug 31, 2021 1:09 PM CDT
Unwanted Space Station Discovery: Cracks
'This is bad and suggests that the fissures will begin to spread over time,' says engineer
- The first part of the International Space Station to arrive in space has developed cracks that experts fear are likely to spread. Russian cosmonauts discovered "superficial fissures … in some places on the Zarya module ," a Russian-built, US-funded section of the space station also known as the Functional...
'No One’s Ever Sent
Me a Spaceship for
My Birthday Before'
Aug 30, 2021 3:04 PM CDT
'No One’s Ever Sent Me a Spaceship for My Birthday Before'
Ice cream delivery arrives on astronaut Megan McArthur 50th birthday
- A space station astronaut is celebrating her 50th birthday with the coolest present ever—a supply ship bearing ice cream and other treats. SpaceX’s latest cargo delivery showed up Monday at the International Space Station after a day in transit. Overseeing the automated docking was NASA astronaut Megan McArthur....
Russian Module's Arrival
Triggers Emergency at ISS
Jul 30, 2021 8:47 AM CDT
Russian Module's Arrival Triggers Emergency at ISS
Surprise rocket firing moved space station out of position for nearly an hour
- Routine is definitely not a word with which to describe Russia's Thursday docking of a module at the International Space Station, its first in more than a decade. The long-delayed Nauka laboratory module, the largest space lab ever launched by Russia, reached ISS after several "hiccups in orbit"...
Astronauts Install Solar Panel
to Power Up Space Station
Jun 20, 2021 1:16 PM CDT
Astronauts Install Solar Panel to Power Up Space Station
More will be coming in plan to increase electrical capacity
- Spacewalking astronauts equipped the International Space Station with the first in a series of powerful new solar panels Sunday, overcoming suit problems and other obstacles with muscle and persistence. It took two spacewalks for French astronaut Thomas Pesquet and NASA astronaut Shane Kimbrough to install and unfurl the panel to...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
His Startup Is About to Go Public. He's Also a Killer
Finland Won't Pay Gas Company in Rubles. Russia Hits Back
Archbishop to Pelosi: No More Communion for You
Tech Bigwig Was on Call on How to Contest Trump's Loss
First, 'Loud Noises on Their Lanai.' Then, a Surprise Visitor
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.