Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Hot Mic Picks Up Schumer's
Assessment of Senate Races
Oct 28, 2022 9:28 AM CDT
Hot Mic Picks Up Schumer's Assessment of Senate Races
'We're going downhill' in Georgia, he tells Biden
- After almost 50 years in politics, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer apparently still hasn't learned to be wary of hot mics. He was overheard delivering a candid, though mostly positive, assessment of Democrats' chances in Senate races to President Biden on the tarmac of Hancock Field Air National Guard...
Pelosi in New
Jan. 6 Footage:
Punch Him Out'
Oct 14, 2022 6:34 AM CDT
Pelosi in New Jan. 6 Footage: 'I'm Gonna Punch Him Out'
Never-before-seen video shot during riot shows House Speaker Pelosi's shock, anger at Trump
- The House Select Committee investigating the Jan. 6 riot on the US Capitol held its final public hearing before the midterms on Thursday, in which it resumed making its case against Donald Trump and even voted unanimously at the end of the hearing to subpoena the former president to testify....
Sinema Put Manchin
in Role of Protecting Bill
Aug 8, 2022 7:25 PM CDT
Sinema Put Manchin in Role of Protecting Bill
Differences on taxes were resolved, allowing passage, though it wasn't easy
- Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin and Majority Leader Chuck Schumer negotiated for months on the climate change, health care, and tax legislation that passed the Senate on Sunday. When they finally reached an agreement, they still weren't finished. Sen. Kyrsten Sinema had been left out of the talks, and she...
Rules Boss Cuts
Aug 6, 2022 2:10 PM CDT
Rules Boss Cuts Bill's Penalties for Drugmakers
Senate parliamentarian keeps much of Democrats' economic package intact
- The Senate parliamentarian on Saturday dealt a blow to Democrats' plan for curbing drug prices but left the rest of their sprawling economic bill largely intact. Party leaders prepared for first votes on a package containing many of President Biden's top domestic goals, the AP reports. Elizabeth MacDonough, the...
Jul 27, 2022 7:25 PM CDT
Manchin Unblocks Biden's Domestic Agenda
Holdout's deal with Schumer covers climate change provisions
- Sen. Joe Manchin reached agreement with Senate Democratic leaders to support President Biden's domestic spending plan, legislation addressing health care costs, climate change, and other priorities. The deal reverses Manchin's position of two weeks ago, when he said he couldn't commit to the bill before economic data...
Jul 11, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
Chuck Schumer Has COVID
Senate majority leader experiencing very mild symptoms
- Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer has tested positive for COVID-19 and reports experiencing very mild symptoms, his spokesman said Sunday night. Schumer, 71, is fully vaccinated and has received two booster shots, spokesman Justin Goodman said in a statement cited by the AP . The New York Democrat will follow federal...
Schumer: Senate Will Vote
on Changing Filibuster
Jan 3, 2022 1:50 PM CST
Schumer: Senate Will Vote on Changing Filibuster
He says vote will be held by MLK Day
- Unless Republicans change course and stop blocking voting rights legislation , the Senate will vote this month on changing filibuster rules, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer said Monday. In a letter to Democratic colleagues, Schumer said that if Republicans don't budge, "the Senate will debate and consider changes to...
Debt Crisis for NYC
Taxi Drivers Just Eased
Nov 4, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
Debt Crisis for NYC Taxi Drivers Just Eased
Relief deal will see medallion debt reduced to $170K per driver: 'NYT'
- A 14-day hunger strike may have helped rescue New York City's yellow taxi drivers from crushing debt . City officials announced Wednesday that a deal was reached with the largest holder of taxi loans in the city to reduce the amount owing for each owner of a medallion, a city...
Push to Legalize
Pot at Federal Level
Jul 14, 2021 11:36 AM CDT
Top Democrats Push to Legalize Pot at Federal Level
They're calling for an end to prohibition
- Top Senate Democrats have unveiled draft legislation to legalize marijuana, remove federal penalties, and erase nonviolent federal cannabis-related criminal records. The proposal from Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, Senate Finance Committee Chairman Ron Wyden, and Sen. Cory Booker, dubbed the Cannabis Administration and Opportunity Act, would remove marijiuana, now fully...
Lawmakers Agree to Deal
to Investigate Capitol Attack
May 14, 2021 11:19 AM CDT
Lawmakers Agree to Deal to Investigate Capitol Attack
House could vote on proposed bipartisan commission next week
- House lawmakers have reached a bipartisan deal to investigate the Jan. 6 attack on the US Capitol, and it does not include a look at violence alleged to have come from left-wing groups last summer, as some Republicans had hoped. The proposed 10-person commission would focus only on the attack...
McConnell Rips Trump, While
Pelosi Blames 'Cowardly' GOP
Feb 13, 2021 4:55 PM CST
McConnell Rips Trump, While Pelosi Blames 'Cowardly' GOP
Minority leader says former president could still be held accountable in the courts
- Minority Leader Mitch McConnell delivered a stinging indictment of former President Trump from the Senate floor on Saturday, but not until minutes after the impeachment trial ended in acquittal . Trump was charged with inciting an insurrection in connection with the attack on the US Capitol on Jan. 6. "Former...
Senate Standoff Ends With
'Democrats Holding the Gavels'
Feb 3, 2021 11:50 AM CST
Senate Standoff Ends With 'Democrats Holding the Gavels'
Schumer, McConnell reach deal on 50-50 Senate
- Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer announced an agreement Wednesday with Republicans to organize the evenly split chamber, ending a weekslong standoff, reports the AP . Schumer said that he and Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell had agreed on committee ratios and other details in the 50-50 chamber, where Democrats have the...
to Delay Trump's
Jan 21, 2021 5:20 PM CST
McConnell Wants to Delay Trump's Impeachment Trial
GOP leader wants February start, but Schumer hasn't answered
- Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell is in no hurry for the Senate impeachment trial of former President Trump to begin. He's told Democrats he wants the trial to begin sometime in February, which would allow both sides at least a week to prepare for the proceeding, CBS reports. That'...
a Deal on Filibusters
Jan 21, 2021 4:13 PM CST
McConnell Wants a Deal on Filibusters
Issue keeps negotiations over Senate control stalled
- Republicans and Democrats are negotiating how to split control of the Senate for the next two years, and there's one custom that Mitch McConnell wants to protect: the filibuster. His rivals aren't buying it, the Hill reports. "We're not going to give him what he wishes,...
VP Harris Swears
in 3 New Senators
Jan 20, 2021 5:59 PM CST
VP Harris Swears in 3 New Senators
Chuck Schumer is now Senate Majority Leader
- Vice President Kamala Harris is now also president of the Senate—and Sen. Chuck Schumer is now Senate Majority Leader. Democrats regained control of the chamber Wednesday after Harris swore in three new Democratic senators: Sens. Raphael Warnock and Jon Ossoff, whose Georgia election wins were certified Tuesday , and Sen....
Dec 28, 2020 6:20 PM CST
House Approves $2K Payments. Senate Is Up Next
Schumer plans to bring the bill up Tuesday, but one senator could stop it
- The House voted Monday to send Americans who qualify $2,000, agreeing with President Trump that the $600 called for in the recently approved pandemic stimulus package is inadequate. Trump had threatened to veto that legislation, which included money to keep the government operating, before signing it Sunday night. The...
Political Odd Couple May Have
Paved Way for COVID Relief
Dec 20, 2020 5:30 AM CST
Political Odd Couple May Have Paved Way for COVID Relief
Meanwhile, a government shutdown loomed
- Top congressional lawmakers struck a late-night agreement on the last major obstacle to a COVID-19 economic relief package costing nearly $1 trillion, clearing the way for votes as early as Sunday. Per the AP , a Democratic aide said that an agreement had been reached late Saturday and that compromise language...
Schumer: GOP Is Ready
to Talk Coronavirus Relief
Nov 19, 2020 6:15 PM CST
Schumer: GOP Is Ready to Talk Coronavirus Relief
Congressional aides figure avoiding a government shutdown will come first
- Republicans are willing to restart negotiations on a coronavirus relief package, Sen. Chuck Schumer said Thursday. "They've agreed to sit down, and the staffs are going to sit down today or tomorrow to try to begin to see if we can get a real good COVID relief bill,...
Obama Has a Message for
Republican Senators on RBG
Sep 19, 2020 5:30 AM CDT
Obama Has a Message for Republican Senators on RBG
Dems remind GOP of their remarks in 2016 on filling an empty SCOTUS seat during election year
- Mitch McConnell vowed late Friday that a vote will be held on President Trump's nominee to replace Ruth Bader Ginsburg on the Supreme Court, who died Friday at 87. But prominent Democrats, including Barack Obama, are pushing back, digging up the remarks of McConnell and other GOP senators from...
Democrats: DeJoy May
Have Broken the Law—Twice
Sep 8, 2020 6:27 AM CDT
Democrats: DeJoy May Have Broken the Law—Twice
He's accused of campaign finance violations, lying under oath
- House Democrats are calling for the immediate suspension of Postmaster General Louis DeJoy as they investigate alleged campaign finance violations . The USPS "never should have hired (him) in the first place," Rep. Carolyn Maloney, chair of the House Committee on Oversight and Reform, said late Monday, per the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
The 'Iconic' Kirstie Alley Is Dead at 71
What We Know About the Power Station Sabotage in NC
Here's How Things Look Ahead of Georgia's Runoff
You Can Keep Procrastinating on That Real ID
Recent Storms Leave Mystery Debris Protruding from Beach
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.