Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Fugitive of 30 Years Surrenders
Because Pandemic Life Sucks
Sep 15, 2021 9:10 AM CDT
Fugitive of 30 Years Surrenders Because Pandemic Life Sucks
Homeless and jobless, Darko Desic was done sleeping on an Australian beach
- An unfortunate consequence of the COVID-19 pandemic is that many people have been turned out of their homes. Fortunately for Australian authorities, one of those people is a 29-year fugitive who decided he'd rather have a roof over his head, even if it was in prison. Darko Desic had...
Prison Break Is First
of Its Kind in Decades
Sep 7, 2021 12:37 AM CDT
Prison Break Is First of Its Kind in Decades
Manhunt has been launched in Israel
- For the first time in years, Palestinian prisoners have broken out of an Israeli jail. Six men escaped around 1am Monday, the
New York Times
reports. Five of them are Islamist militants, according to the prison service, while the sixth is said to be the former commander of another militant...
His Spectacular Prison Escapes
Are the Stuff of Legend
May 1, 2021 3:05 PM CDT
His Spectacular Prison Escapes Are the Stuff of Legend
Inside the wild exploits of Redoine Faid
- His prison escapes were audacious and cinematic—meaning they went according to plan. In a lengthy piece for
, Adam Leith Gollner dives into the exploits of Redoine Faid, who answered his questions from prison via an intermediary and also supplied Gollner with an unpublished autobiography. Faid has managed two...
Peter Madsen Gets
Another 21 Months
Feb 9, 2021 12:09 PM CST
Macabre Killer Peter Madsen Gets Another 21 Months
He is sentenced over his escape from prison after Kim Wall's submarine murder
- He was already serving life for one of Denmark's most notorious murders , but Peter Madsen just got another 21 months tacked on to his sentence. A court on Tuesday handed down the additional time for Madsen's stunning, if short-lived, escape from a prison in suburban Copenhagen last year,...
Just Before Midnight, a Cell
Check—and 6 Men Missing
Jan 11, 2021 8:44 AM CST
Just Before Midnight, a Cell Check—and 6 Men Missing
Authorities on the hunt for 6 inmates who broke out of California jail
- Cell check just before midnight Saturday at a California jail yielded an alarming find: six men missing, and now on the run. ABC News reports the inmates, all between the ages of 19 and 22, made their break over the weekend from the Merced County Downtown Jail by getting up...
Killer Peter Madsen
Oct 20, 2020 9:05 AM CDT
Killer Peter Madsen Escapes Prison
Inventor convicted in journalist's brutal murder is apprehended a short distance away on Tuesday
- A Danish man convicted of killing a journalist aboard his homemade submarine in a case that shocked Scandinavia managed to escape from prison on Tuesday—though he was apprehended soon after. Peter Madsen, serving life in prison for the 2017 murder of Kim Wall, escaped from Herstedvester Prison near Copenhagen...
She Was a Rule Follower—Until
Helping a Murderer Escape
Sep 18, 2020 1:10 PM CDT
She Was a Rule Follower—Until Helping a Murderer Escape
Toby Dorr smuggled inmate out of prison in a dog crate
- As far as prison escapes go, it was ingenious in its simplicity. In 2006, 48-year-old Toby Dorr drove away from the gates of a prison in Lansing, Kansas, with dogs from her prison foster program loaded in the back of her van. Inside a box in one of the crates...
Man Who 'Terrorized Rome' for
Years Escapes Jail a 4th Time
Sep 8, 2020 4:33 AM CDT
Man Who 'Terrorized Rome' for Years Escapes Jail a 4th Time
Giuseppe Mastini has been convicted of multiple murders
- Giuseppe Mastini has been convicted of multiple murders—and he just escaped from jail for the fourth time. Mastini, 60, who "terrorized Rome," per the
, in the 1970s and 1980s, was on day release from a high-security Italian prison and failed to return at the appointed time...
14 Jumped the Fence.
6 Are Still on the Loose
Mar 24, 2020 11:00 AM CDT
14 Jumped the Fence. 6 Are Still on the Loose
Jail, shelter-in-place order couldn't hold these inmates in Washington state
- Fourteen inmates escaped a jail in Washington state on Monday, and six were still on the loose by Tuesday morning. Residents of Yakima were told to stay inside as authorities reported the escape from Yakima County Jail in the city's downtown, per NBC News . At one point, authorities said...
Convict Comes Up With
Weird Escape Plan, It Works
Feb 27, 2020 12:34 AM CST
Convict Comes Up With Weird Escape Plan, It Works
Somehow convinces another inmate to help him impersonate that inmate
- A California man convicted of mail fraud escaped from a Utah jail Tuesday night by posing as a fellow inmate whose time had come to be released, authorities said Wednesday. Kaleb Wiewandt was allowed to leave the jail in Ogden, Utah, because staff thought he was inmate Matthew Belnap, said...
Inmate Climbed Into Ceiling.
It Didn't End Well
Feb 21, 2020 11:20 AM CST
Inmate Climbed Into Ceiling. It Didn't End Well
Ohio inmate's prison escape plan foiled after ceiling gives way
- WOIO calls it a botched prison escape in Ohio that ended in "embarrassing fashion." ABC7 calls it an "epic fail"—or should it be "epic fall"? It was all of these things for Jessica Boomershine, who was caught on surveillance camera determinedly trying...
Fugitive on the Run 40 Years
Busted, Done In by His Prints
Jan 3, 2020 12:53 PM CST
Fugitive on the Run 40 Years Busted, Done In by His Prints
Jose Romero escaped from SC in 1979; he was nabbed in Delaware last month
- In 1979, Pink Floyd's
was released, Margaret Thatcher was elected prime minister of the UK, and Jose Romero escaped from a South Carolina prison. Almost 40 years to the day of his jailbreak, however, the sexagenarian (he's said to be 63 or 64) was arrested in...
Brick Wall Couldn't Stop
Inmate. His Dad Finally Did
Dec 27, 2019 1:38 PM CST
Brick Wall Couldn't Stop Inmate. His Dad Finally Did
Jace Martin Laws' Texas prison escape didn't last long after his father spotted him
- A Texas inmate who authorities say carved his way through a brick wall to escape prison has been recaptured. Per KLTV , the Gregg County Sheriff's Office first made the announcement Thursday on 34-year-old Jace Martin Laws' prison break from the county's South Jail in Longview. In a Facebook...
Come Back With Whiskey
Oct 14, 2019 12:05 PM CDT
Inmates Escape, Come Back With Whiskey
It apparently wasn't the first time in Beaumont, Texas
- These four inmates didn't want their freedom, apparently, but they did want their incarceration to be a little more tolerable. Authorities in Beaumont, Texas, say they caught inmates from the local Federal Correctional Complex who had escaped and were returning with whiskey, cell phones, and other goodies, reports
Locals on Edge as Prisoner
Oct 1, 2019 7:06 AM CDT
Locals on Edge as Prisoner Goes Missing—Again
Calvin Adams escaped an Arkansas prison in 2009 and may have just done so again
- "We'll get him." That's the determined response of a spokeswoman for the Arkansas Department of Corrections, which has pulled out all the stops to look for a convicted murderer who either managed to bust out of a state prison or is hiding very well somewhere on...
Aug 11, 2019 1:05 PM CDT
Escaped Convict Captured After Killing
Corrections official was found dead in her home
- An escaped convict suspected in the killing of a Tennessee corrections administrator was captured Sunday, four days after he apparently slipped away from a work detail. A resident of Hennings, about 10 miles from the prison, had spotted Curtis Watson, 44, on his property in home surveillance video Sunday morning....
Inmate's Plan: Dress Up as
Daughter, Leave Her in Prison
Aug 5, 2019 4:40 AM CDT
Inmate's Plan: Dress Up as Daughter, Leave Her in Prison
Brazil gang leader Clauvino da Silva's nervousness apparently gave him away
- A Brazilian gang leader tried to escape from prison by dressing up as his daughter when she visited him behind bars and walking out the penitentiary's main door in her place, authorities said Sunday. But prison officials said the nervousness displayed by Clauvino da Silva, also known as "...
Prison Can't Hold Mafia Boss
Jun 24, 2019 7:17 PM CDT
Prison Can't Hold Mafia Boss
Italian drug kingpin escapes in Uruguay
- An Italian mafia boss and three other inmates broke out of a prison in Uruguay through a hole in the roof, the government said. The escapees robbed the owners of a farmhouse nearby before vanishing, per CNN . Rocco Morabito, who was arrested in 2017 after being a fugitive for more...
Seamstress Who Helped Cons
Escape Hears Parole Fate
Jun 14, 2019 9:01 AM CDT
Seamstress Who Helped Cons Escape Hears Parole Fate
It's a no for Joyce Mitchell, who aided Richard Matt and David Sweat in Dannemora breakout
- The upstate New York prison break that Joyce Mitchell played a role in four years ago captivated the nation, but her recent attempts to make her own way out from behind bars apparently didn't captivate the parole board. The
New York Daily News
reports the 55-year-old seamstress—who famously...
Girlfriend Pays Big Price
in Unusual Prison Escape
May 17, 2019 8:47 AM CDT
Girlfriend Pays Big Price in Unusual Prison Escape
Maxine Feldstein posed as a sheriff's deputy, is sentenced to 15 years
- It was a surprisingly simple plan as far as prison escapes go, but it worked like a charm. For a while. Maxine Feldstein, 30, posed as a sheriff's deputy to free Nicholas Lowe from the Washington County Detention Center in Arkansas, reports KFSM . She showed up at the prison...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Crazy Homecoming Scandal May Result in Serious Jail Time
Food Prices May Spike Again, Thanks to a New Shortage
Fauci Says US Could Face 'Fifth Wave' as Omicron Spreads
Stowaway Endures Over 2-Hour Flight Inside Plane Landing Gear
Smash and Grab Turns Deadly for Former Officer
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.