Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
May 27, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Teen Has Heart Attack After Massive Horse Kick
'I'm not going to die today' a determined 16-year-old Dalton Bruton thought
- For 16-year-old Dalton Bruton, being around horses has always been a "calming experience." Not so much last week, when the Oklahoma teen got kicked so hard by one that he ended up having a heart attack. KFOR reports on the May 19 incident on the horse farm owned...
All Abortions Are Effectively
Outlawed in Oklahoma
May 26, 2022 12:22 PM CDT
All Abortions Are Effectively Outlawed in Oklahoma
Gov. Stitt signs into law measure that prohibits them starting at conception
Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt on Wednesday signed into law the nation’s strictest abortion ban, making the state the first in the nation to effectively end availability of the procedure, per the AP . The law takes effect immediately and prohibits all abortions starting at conception, allowing for only rare...
A Century Ago, They Lived
Through a Rampage. Now, $1M
May 20, 2022 6:50 AM CDT
A Century Ago, They Lived Through a Rampage. Now, $1M
3 centenarians who lived through 1921's Tulsa Race Massacre will split gift
- Only three survivors remain from the Tulsa Race Massacre , the 1921 attack in which a white mob descended upon the city's affluent Black neighborhood of Greenwood, torched more than 1,250 homes, and killed hundreds. That trio never received any reparations from either Tulsa or the state of Oklahoma,...
Woman Accused of 'Very
Disturbing' Plot to Gain Custody
May 13, 2022 9:38 AM CDT
Woman Accused of 'Very Disturbing' Plot to Gain Custody
Lacey Hucks, accomplice accused of planting child porn pics on Hucks' husband's phone
- Child custody battles can get heated, and it's not unusual for parties to pull out all the stops to win the fight, but one Oklahoma mom may have gone a step too far. KFOR reports that 33-year-old Lacey Hucks is now in custody and facing felony charges in Garvin...
Oklahoma, Texas Region
'Already in a Post-Roe World'
May 5, 2022 4:15 AM CDT
Oklahoma, Texas Region 'Already in a Post-Roe World'
Oklahoma governor signs abortion law inspired by neighbor
- Oklahoma joined Texas this week to form a region that parts of a nation divided over abortion care might look like if the US Supreme Court strikes down Roe v. Wade. While abortion providers across the country have been bracing for the possibility that the high court's new conservative...
Grim End to Stolen
Statue of Famed
May 3, 2022 1:10 PM CDT
Grim End to Stolen Statue of Famed Native American
Statue of ballerina Marjorie Tallchief appears to have been cut down, sold for scrap for $266
- A bronze statue of Native American ballerina Marjorie Tallchief, stolen last week from the Tulsa Historical Society & Museum, appears to have been cut into pieces and sold as scrap metal. Pieces of the statue—one of five outdoor statues depicting famous Native American ballerinas from Oklahoma known as the...
Judge: Tulsa Race
Lawsuit Can Proceed
May 3, 2022 12:05 AM CDT
Judge: Tulsa Race Massacre Reparations Lawsuit Can Proceed
Lawsuit seeks reparations for 1921 tragedy
- An Oklahoma judge ruled Monday that a lawsuit seeking reparations for the 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre can proceed, bringing new hope for some measure of justice for three survivors of the deadly racist rampage who are now over 100 years old and were in the courtroom for the decision. Tulsa...
Oklahoma Candidate Has to
Use Normal Name on Ballot
Apr 27, 2022 2:00 AM CDT
Oklahoma Candidate Has to Use Normal Name on Ballot
Sean 'The Patriot' Roberts won't fly, Oklahoma Election Board concludes
- A Republican lawmaker who wanted to refer to himself as "Sean 'The Patriot' Roberts" on the ballot can’t use that nickname, the Oklahoma Election Board has ruled. The board decided Monday that term-limited state Rep. Sean Roberts can still run for Oklahoma Labor Commissioner, but he can'...
Don't Do This
Apr 13, 2022 7:32 AM CDT
Really Want an Audi? Don't Do This
Randy Cantwell arrested for impersonating federal marshal, trying to steal car in Tulsa, Okla.
- A man in Oklahoma apparently had his heart set on an Audi, but his alleged scheme to acquire one didn't work out the way it was supposed to. KTUL reports that Randy Cantwell was arrested in Tulsa after police say he showed up at a car dealership in Tulsa,...
Oklahoma Law Makes It
a Felony to Perform Abortion
Apr 12, 2022 11:17 AM CDT
Oklahoma Law Makes It a Felony to Perform Abortion
Governor signs tough new law
Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt signed a bill into law on Tuesday that makes it a felony to perform an abortion, part of an aggressive push in Republican-led states across the country to scale back abortion rights. The bill, which takes effect 90 days after the Legislature adjourns next month,...
This Is the
State in America
Mar 28, 2022 11:20 AM CDT
This Is the Most Stressed State in America
Louisiana is one big stress ball, according to latest WalletHub rankings
- To say we've collectively and individually been stressed over the past two years is probably an understatement, but the stress levels are higher in some parts of the US than others. WalletHub looked at all 50 states, examining more than three dozen metrics in four categories: stress related to...
Cops Offer Update on 'Absolute
Travesty' That Killed 6 Teens
Mar 25, 2022 11:49 AM CDT
Cops Offer Update on 'Absolute Travesty' That Killed 6 Teens
Oklahoma Highway Patrol says car carrying Tishomingo girls didn't stop at stop sign
- The compact car that collided with a tractor-trailer in Oklahoma earlier this week, killing six teen girls, didn't yield to a stop sign before the accident, the Oklahoma Highway Patrol said Thursday. In a summary of its probe into the deadly crash in Tishomingo, the OHP said the semi-trailer...
House Candidate Attempted
Suicide After Sleepover Mess
Mar 25, 2022 1:45 AM CDT
House Candidate Attempted Suicide After Sleepover Mess
Abby Broyles drops out of race, gets frank about her situation
- The low point for Abby Broyles apparently wasn't when she mixed a sleeping pill and wine and blacked out while at the house of a friend who was hosting a sleepover for middle schoolers and verbally abused the girls. In a long and frank Medium essay posted Thursday, Broyles...
6 Teen Girls Killed in Crash
Were in Car That Seats 4
Mar 24, 2022 12:09 AM CDT
6 Teen Girls Killed in Crash Were in Car That Seats 4
All 6 were killed in Oklahoma tragedy
The six teen girls killed Tuesday in an Oklahoma crash were on their high school's lunch break, riding in a car that only seats four. Just the 16-year-old driver and the front-seat passenger were wearing seatbelts, the AP reports; Oklahoma is the only state that allows passengers older...
Professor of 41 Years Fired
After Hosting Gay Speaker
Mar 16, 2022 12:55 PM CDT
Professor of 41 Years Fired After Hosting Gay Speaker
Michael O'Keefe taught at Oklahoma Christian University for 41 years
- A tenured professor who taught at Oklahoma Christian University for 41 years claims he was fired March 7 for having an openly gay guest speaker address his class. A lawyer for Michael O'Keefe said in a statement to KFOR that the graphic design professor was terminated for his "...
Ladies, You Might
Want to Move Here
Feb 28, 2022 9:15 AM CST
Ladies, You Might Want to Move Here
WalletHub ranks the best, worst states for women, with Massachusetts coming out on top
- Whether it's the job market or political representation in DC, women often seem to come up with "the short end of the stick," notes WalletHub , which decided to figure out which parts of the country might offer the best opportunities for women. The personal finance site looked...
Girls: US House Candidate
Turned Our Sleepover Ugly
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Feb 26, 2022 12:55 PM CST
Girls: US House Candidate Turned Our Sleepover Ugly
Abby Broyles of Oklahoma says combination of wine, sleep medicine made her hallucinate
- It's not every day that you see a headline involving an adult apologizing for sleepover behavior, but today is that day. A Democratic candidate who is vying for a US House seat in Oklahoma says she has no recollection of what happened on the night of Feb. 11, but...
Feb 24, 2022 4:31 PM CST
Republican Senator Plans to Retire
Jim Inhofe's decision could prompt a special election in Oklahoma in the fall
- Republican Sen. Jim Inhofe plans to announce his retirement next week, Politico reports, probably putting his seat up for grabs in a special election in the fall. The 87-year-old Oklahoman, who already had said this would be his final term in the Senate, would serve out this congressional session. If...
DNA Tests Reveal Women
Were Switched at Birth in 1964
Feb 23, 2022 2:41 PM CST
DNA Tests Reveal Women Were Switched at Birth in 1964
'You know, you find out some interesting things on Ancestry'
- Two 57-year-old women in Oklahoma are trying to deal with the disturbing discovery that they are not who they thought they were. Tinna Ennis and Jill Lopez discovered they had apparently been switched at birth after Ennis' 26-year-old daughter asked her to take a DNA test in the hope of...
Her Boyfriend Killed Her Son.
But She's the One Behind Bars
in case you missed it
Feb 20, 2022 7:31 AM CST
Her Boyfriend Killed Her Son. But She's the One Behind Bars
Rebecca Hogue sentenced to 16 months under Oklahoma's failure to protect law
- An Oklahoma woman will ultimately spend more than a year in jail for the first-degree murder of her 2-year-old son, whom she never harmed. Rebecca Hogue, a 30-year-old Norman resident, had returned home from a 12-hour work shift in the early hours of Jan. 1, 2020, per the BBC . When...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
92 Tons of Popular Topping Recalled
Sentencing in Flight Attendant Assault a 'Very Strong Message'
The Clues Were Ingenious, but Staging the Hunt Would Kill Him
Trump Piles On Abbott, Other No-Shows at NRA Meeting
Once the Vatican's No. 2 Man, His Legacy Was Marred
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.