Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Students Threaten to Sue After
DeSantis Blocks AP Course
Jan 26, 2023 8:12 AM CST
Students Threaten to Sue After DeSantis Blocks AP Course
3 honors high schoolers want African-American studies class taught in Florida
- Earlier this month, Ron DeSantis' administration blocked an Advanced Placement African-American studies class from being taught in high schools around Florida, claiming the course managed by the College Board is "historically inaccurate" and "contrary" to state law. Now, a group of honors students is threatening to sue the...
Jan 20, 2023 5:30 PM CST
Court: DeSantis' Suspension Violated Two Constitutions
Judge says it's not in his power to give Andrew Warren his job back
- A federal judge ruled Friday that Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis violated the First Amendment and the Florida Constitution by removing an elected state prosecutor, but that the federal courts lack the power to reinstate him. In an order dismissing the case, US District Judge Robert Hinkle wrote that federal law...
Florida Blocks New
African American Studies Class
Jan 20, 2023 12:48 PM CST
Florida Blocks New African American Studies Class
Course is 'inexplicably contrary to Florida law,' board of education says
- The administration of Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has blocked a new Advanced Placement course on African American studies from state high schools, saying the pilot program's content is "historically inaccurate" and "inexplicably contrary to Florida law." A Jan. 12 letter from the Florida Department of Education...
DeSantis Wants to Permanently
Ban Mask, Vaccine Mandates
Jan 19, 2023 8:38 AM CST
DeSantis Wants to Permanently Ban Mask, Vaccine Mandates
He describes Florida as a 'refuge of sanity'
- If the COVID pandemic rebounds to the point where authorities seek to bring back mask and vaccine mandates, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis wants to make sure his state isn't affected by what he calls the "biomedical security state." The Republican is seeking to make Florida's ban...
Used Back Channel
in Migrant Flight Talks
Dec 28, 2022 12:18 PM CST
DeSantis Aide Used Back Channel in Migrant Flight Talks
Larry Keefe, Fla. governor's safety czar, was known as 'Clarice Starling' in messages to Vertol Systems
- A top aide to Ron DeSantis might be known as Larry Keefe in real life, but in a secret back channel he used with a contractor that was seeking a deal to transport migrants from Texas to Martha's Vineyard , he called himself by a more familiar name: "Clarice...
DeSantis Wants Grand Jury
to Probe COVID Vaccines
Dec 14, 2022 7:04 AM CST
DeSantis Wants Grand Jury to Probe COVID Vaccines
Governor asks the Florida Supreme Court to empanel one
- Ron DeSantis is taking his gripes with the COVID-19 vaccine to new heights. The Florida governor on Tuesday requested that the state Supreme Court convene a grand jury to investigate any "wrongdoing" related to the vaccines, saying the public wants "accountability," Politico reports. Not many details have...
Polls Sees Shift in GOP
Voters, Bad News for Trump
Dec 13, 2022 1:59 PM CST
Polls Sees Shift in GOP Voters, Bad News for Trump
Ron DeSantis is the new favorite, by a wide margin
- Republican voters may be looking forward to the 2024 election, but most do not want former President Trump on the ballot. According to the latest
/Suffolk University poll, 56% of Republican-leaning voters prefer Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, compared to 33% for Trump. Furthermore, 45% don’t want Trump to...
DeSantis Has Musk's Vote
Nov 26, 2022 11:35 AM CST
DeSantis Has Musk's Vote
Twitter owner has found Biden disappointing
- Whether he wants it or not, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis would seem to have the backing of Elon Musk in the 2024 presidential race. Musk proclaimed his endorsement in a "yes" tweet when asked if he would support DeSantis, NBC News reports. "My preference for the 2024 presidency...
DeSantis Speaks Out on
Leaves Trump's Name Out
Nov 16, 2022 12:22 AM CST
DeSantis Speaks Out on 'Underwhelming' Midterms, Leaves Trump's Name Out
Florida governor was no doubt referring to him, however
- He didn't actually mention Donald Trump by name, but Ron DeSantis offered what the
New York Times
calls a "not-so-subtle dig" at the former POTUS shortly before Trump's announcement that he will run for president again in 2024. Referring to the midterm elections, the Florida governor told...
Nov 11, 2022 12:30 AM CST
Trump Releases Anti-DeSantis Statement
Calls him an 'average' governor
- As Ron DeSantis was riding high on his massive re-election win and the fawning press that has followed , Donald Trump pooh-poohed all of that in an anti-DeSantis statement he released Thursday. "NewsCorp, which is Fox, the Wall Street Journal, and the no longer great New York Post (bring back...
Advisers to Trump: Delay 2024
Announcement or Risk 'Silence'
Nov 10, 2022 8:46 AM CST
Advisers to Trump: Delay 2024 Announcement or Risk 'Silence'
Disappointing results from some of his endorsed candidates look to have weakened his power
- Republicans are asking former President Trump to delay his announcement of a presumed third White House bid until next month after disappointing midterm results, particularly from the candidates he backed. His own advisers see the results as "wounding to his political future," the
reports, adding advisers...
A GOP Takeaway: 'DeSantis
in 2024 or Accept Total Defeat'
Nov 9, 2022 9:03 AM CST
A GOP Takeaway: 'DeSantis in 2024 or Accept Total Defeat'
His massive win in Florida has everyone talking
- Ron DeSantis was just elected to serve a second 4-year term as Florida's governor, but the Hill reports the crowd at his victory speech shouted "Two more years!" at him—voicing their hope that his term would be cut short so that he could run for president...
There Was No Red Wave,
'That's for Darn Sure'
Nov 9, 2022 7:03 AM CST
There Was No Red Wave, 'That's for Darn Sure'
GOP could still take House and Senate, but Democrats will be breathing easier Wednesday morning
- Was it a red wave? A bluenami? The consensus, it seems, is neither. As Lindsey Graham announced just before 11pm ET Tuesday on NBC News, it's "definitely not a Republican wave, that's for darn sure." Some reaction to early midterm results:
Ron DeSantis Easily Wins
Re-Election in Florida
Nov 8, 2022 7:11 PM CST
Ron DeSantis Easily Wins Re-Election in Florida
Governor and possible 2024 presidential nominee defeats Democrat Charlie Crist
- He may well run for president, but first Ron DeSantis had to make sure he didn't lose his governor's seat in Florida. On Tuesday, the Republican did just that by defeating Democrat Charlie Crist. The AP called the race about an hour after polls closed at 7. DeSantis...
Trump Has a New
Nickname for Ron DeSantis
Nov 8, 2022 10:05 AM CST
Trump Has a New Nickname for Ron DeSantis
'Ron DeSanctimonious' was Trump's swipe, after GOP senator's video appealing to core Trump base
- A new video from Ron DeSantis' campaign hints at national ambitions for the Florida governor—to the ire of Donald Trump, who's expected to announce his presidential campaign this month. Shared Friday on Twitter by DeSantis' wife, Casey DeSantis, "the 96-second video invokes God 10 times and suggests...
in My Sights
Oct 25, 2022 12:16 PM CDT
DeSantis: Only One 'Worn-Out Old Donkey' in My Sights
In debate with Crist, Florida governor and potential 2024 candidate won't commit to full term
- Gov. Ron DeSantis and Democratic challenger Charlie Crist had their only debate Monday night in the Florida gubernatorial race, and one subject in particular was getting a lot of attention in the aftermath—DeSantis' White House ambitions. The governor is considered to be a top 2024 presidential candidate, and Crist...
Texas Sheriff Lists
Migrants Shipped to
as Crime Victims
Oct 14, 2022 4:20 PM CDT
Texas Sheriff Lists Migrants Shipped to Martha's Vineyard as Crime Victims
Move could help keep group in US on special visas
- Migrants who were flown by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis to Massachusetts are victims of a crime, a sheriff has decreed. The finding could help the nearly 50 people sent from Texas to Martha's Vineyard receive a special visa allowing them to stay in the US, WGBH reports. "Based...
Records Raise Questions
on DeSantis' Migrant Flights
Oct 10, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
Records Raise Questions on DeSantis' Migrant Flights
Companies were asked to submit bids for flights out of Florida, not Texas
- New details have surfaced on Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis' decision to fly dozens of Venezuelan migrants to Martha's Vineyard last month, raising more questions about whether he violated state law. According to records released Friday, the Florida Department of Transportation asked companies in July to submit bids to "...
Biden Promises Florida
Oct 5, 2022 5:55 PM CDT
Biden Promises Florida Long-Lasting Help
DeSantis praises coordination among federal, state, and local agencies
- President Biden surveyed the devastation of hurricane-ravaged Florida on Wednesday, promising to marshal the power of the federal government to help rebuild as he comforted residents alongside Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis, a potential 2024 election foe. Both men declared they were putting politics aside for now, the AP reports. "...
Them Onto Planes:
'This Woman Lied to Us'
Oct 3, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
'Perla' Lured Them Onto Planes: 'This Woman Lied to Us'
Woman allegedly involved in Martha's Vineyard flights IDed as ex-counterintelligence agent
- As a class-action lawsuit proceeds against Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis for his role in transporting mostly Venezuelan asylum-seekers from Texas to Martha's Vineyard, apparently under false pretenses, media outlets are reporting more on the woman who supposedly lured them onto the planes that took them there. Attorneys for some...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cincy Mayor: Yeah, I Deserved Being Called a 'Jabroni'
M&M's Brouhaha Was Indeed a Super Bowl Ad Stunt
Some Think Twice About Wearing a Wetsuit in SF
Man's Body Found in SUV After It's Towed Away
US Population on Track for 'Historic' Swerve
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.