Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Ex-TikTok Workers: 85 Hours
of Meetings Is the Norm
May 15, 2022 6:45 PM CDT
Ex-TikTok Workers: 85 Hours of Meetings Is the Norm
To say it sounds like employees work a lot is an understatement
- "Relentless productivity and secrecy" seem like two things that might be common to plenty of tech companies. But in the telling of a number of TikTok employees, who came to the social media behemoth from elsewhere in tech, the degree to which those are demanded at TikTok is "...
Love for Taco Bell
May 10, 2022 8:38 AM CDT
Dolly Parton's Love for Taco Bell Just Reached New Heights
Country music icon will star in TikTok production about fast-food chain's revived Mexican Pizza
- Never did we think we'd be writing "Dolly Parton," "Taco Bell's Mexican Pizza," "TikTok," and "musical" in one sentence, but here we are, explaining just exactly how all those words are coming together. On the heels of the announcement that the...
Electrocution Kills 2 Making
Art That's a TikTok Trend
Apr 24, 2022 1:50 PM CDT
Electrocution Kills 2 Making Art That's a TikTok Trend
Experts caution woodburning process isn't safe at home
- The deaths of two people in Wisconsin are being blamed on electrocution caused by a woodburning technique that's popular on TikTok but banned by a trade group. The bodies of Tanya Rodriguez, 44, and James Carolfi, 52, were found after a house fire, but the Marathon County Sheriff's...
Taliban: No More TikTok
Apr 22, 2022 2:50 PM CDT
Taliban: No More TikTok
Afghanistan's rulers say young people are being led astray
- The Taliban has been outlawing various products and activities since taking power in Afghanistan. TV shows with women in them were banned last fall, per CNN . Wine fell out of favor earlier this month. The latest prohibition reaches young people, the BBC reports: The use of TikTok and PUBG is...
A Teen TikTok Star,
an Obsessed Fan.
One Ended Up Dead
Feb 19, 2022 1:25 PM CST
A Teen TikTok Star, an Obsessed Fan. One Ended Up Dead
The 'New York Times' speaks with Ava Majury and her family
- "We chose what’s best for our family. We know there are going to be two sides, and some people won’t understand." The
New York Times
lays out the sides in the story of Ava Majury, a then-13-year-old who downloaded TikTok during the pandemic and quickly established...
Moderator Sues TikTok Over
'Extreme' Videos She Watched
Dec 28, 2021 10:10 AM CST
Moderator Sues TikTok Over 'Extreme' Videos She Watched
Candie Frazier says she suffered psychological trauma over 'graphic' content she had to view
- As part of her job for Canadian tech company TELUS International, Candie Frazier sifted through videos for TikTok, serving as a third-party moderator to make sure the most disturbing content didn't stay online. Now Frazier is suing, with a complaint she hopes will go class action, accusing the social...
It Began With a
Bobby Pin. Now She
Has a New Home
Dec 15, 2021 12:33 PM CST
It Began With a Bobby Pin. Now She Has a New Home
TikTokker Demi Skipper describes 'surreal' trading spree that nabbed her a Nashville abode
- A few months into the coronavirus pandemic, Demi Skipper offered up a bobby pin for trade. She's been trading up ever since, acquiring an Xbox, a diamond necklace, and several cars. But the 30-year-old San Francisco resident, who amassed 5 million followers while documenting her trades with strangers on...
Teen Brand Quits Social Media:
'Something Has to Change'
Nov 24, 2021 10:15 AM CST
Teen Brand Quits Social Media: 'Something Has to Change'
Lush will shutter IG, FB, TikTok, Snapchat on Black Friday, won't come back til user safety is improved
- While most brands are revving up their social media for Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and the rest of the holiday shopping season, one teen favorite just made a shocking announcement: It's shuttering its social media entirely on the day after Thanksgiving. At least for now, says Lush Cosmetics—known...
After 22 Years in Jail,
Dance Goes Viral
Oct 27, 2021 7:27 AM CDT
After 22 Years in Jail, Dad-Daughter TikTok Dance Goes Viral
Justine Tuckett reunites with dad Bill Lorance
- Justine Tuckett was 5 years old when her father was sent to prison for murdering his stepfather in 1999. Over the next 22 years, Bill Lorance would miss her many dance recitals and her wedding. "When I was younger every time I blew out my birthday candles, I would...
Teen Girls With Tics
Had One Thing in Common
Oct 23, 2021 11:00 AM CDT
Teen Girls With Tics Had One Thing in Common
They watched a lot of TikTok videos
- About a decade ago in upstate New York, a group of teen girls inexplicably developed tics—verbal outbursts, twitches, etc.—for no apparent reason. The phenomenon in Le Roy was diagnosed as a case of "mass psychogenic illness." The incident is cited by both the
Why Everyone Is Watching
a 13-Year-Old Pug on TikTok
Oct 20, 2021 11:42 AM CDT
Why Everyone Is Watching a 13-Year-Old Pug on TikTok
For one thing, Noodle approves of laying around most of the time
- Thousands if not millions of people are apparently deciding what to do on any given day based on whether an old pug decides to use his legs or not. For years, New York City's Jonathan Graziano has been playing a game with his 13-year-old pug, Noodle, called "bones...
'Slap a Teacher' Challenge
Pulls in More Victims
Oct 8, 2021 7:00 AM CDT
'Slap a Teacher' Challenge Pulls in More Victims
But TikTok insists the challenge didn't originate on its platform
- Teachers' groups , local authorities , and law enforcement continue to warn against the newest supposed TikTok challenge— one that involves hitting teachers —but the social media platform is now saying it doesn't think the dare originated on TikTok. Teachers in Missouri and South Carolina are among those who'...
Latest TikTok Challenge
Sees Teachers Assaulted
Oct 6, 2021 1:15 PM CDT
Latest TikTok Challenge Sees Teachers Assaulted
Connecticut AG says platform must reform
- TikTok users have been compelled to set themselves on fire and choke themselves until they pass out or die . Now, the trend of dangerous social media challenges continues with a new call to abuse teachers. "Educators beware!" the California Teachers Association warned Tuesday, noting a challenge spreading on...
Teen's Video Inadvertently
Affects Thousands of Studies
in case you missed it
Oct 2, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
Teen's Video Inadvertently Affects Thousands of Studies
Sarah Frank's tips on 'side hustles' led to a deluge at site used by social scientists
- The Verge has a strange tale about how a well-meaning teenager inadvertently messed up more than 4,000 social science studies. In July, Sarah Frank posted a video on TikTok giving advice on how to make extra cash through "side hustles." In one of her tips, she suggested...
It's a Huge Milestone for TikTok
Sep 28, 2021 11:19 AM CDT
It's a Huge Milestone for TikTok
App reaches 1 billion monthly active users, for 45% growth since July 2020
- TikTok is celebrating a huge accomplishment: recruiting one in 7.5 people on the planet to tune in to its videos each month. The company announced it had reached 1 billion monthly active users in a Monday blog post , while Chief Operating Officer Vanessa Pappas thanked users in—what else?—...
Web Host Terminates Site
for Reporting Abortions
Sep 4, 2021 11:30 AM CDT
Web Host Terminates Site for Reporting Abortions
GoDaddy says Texas Right to Life violated privacy rules
- People incensed by a Texas Right to Life website for anonymously reporting women who had sought abortions asked to speak to the manager, and it worked. While TikTok users and Redditors flooded the site with fake tips, other people went straight to the top. The site’s host, GoDaddy, has...
Doctors Across the US: Please
Don't Do Milk Crate Challenge
Aug 26, 2021 5:07 PM CDT
Doctors Across the US: Please Don't Do Milk Crate Challenge
Viral videos show people wiping out while trying to ascend towers of milk crates
- If you were wondering if August might come to a close without a stupid , silly , or downright dangerous social-media-driven fad making the rounds, put those fears to rest—the "milk crate challenge" is here. And it's a combination of all three (stupid, silly,
dangerous), with some platforms...
TikTok Personality Dies
After Shooting in Theater
Aug 1, 2021 10:00 AM CDT
TikTok Personality Dies After Shooting in Theater
Anthony Barajas and Rylee Goodrich, who died last week, were watching 'The Forever Purge'
- Anthony Barajas, a TikTok personality who was shot last week at a movie theater in California, died Saturday. He had been on life support since the attack Monday night, BuzzFeed reports. Barajas, 19, and Rylee Goodrich, 18, were found shot in the head after a screening of
The Forever Purge
4th Child's Death Blamed
on TikTok Challenge
Jul 23, 2021 10:19 AM CDT
4th Child's Death Blamed on TikTok Challenge
Latest is a 12-year-old boy in Oklahoma
- A 12-year-old boy has died in Oklahoma after reportedly taking part in a TikTok challenge in which participants choke themselves until they pass out. Police officers were called just before midnight Monday to an apartment building in Bethany, where they found the boy unconscious and not breathing, with ligature marks...
Call to Fire Dept.:
'I Am Stuck in
a Metal Chair'
Jun 18, 2021 10:57 AM CDT
Embarrassing Call to Fire Dept.: 'I Am Stuck in a Metal Chair'
27-year-old Sydney Jo of Ann Arbor, Mich., got in over her head while filming a video earlier this month
- A Michigan woman with a rather unusual vocation recently found herself in quite the predicament when content she was trying to create ended with a humiliating call to the fire department. It seems that 27-year-old Sydney Jo of Ann Arbor is a Houdini of sorts, often recording herself trying to...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Planned Fix for Sinking Tower Hits Big Snag
Dubya Makes 'Freudian Slip of the Century'
Terrified Buffalo Store Worker Called 911. She Says Dispatcher Hung Up
Man Marks 50 Years of Eating Big Macs Daily
'Payton, You're a Coward!'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.