Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Kansas: We're Really
Sorry About This Show
Oct 5, 2019 5:00 PM CDT
Kansas: We're Really Sorry About This Show
The university's Late Night at the Phog event got wilder than expected
- The University of Kansas apologized for its risque Late Night at the Phog event in which rapper Snoop Dogg performed, stripper poles were wheeled onto the Allen Fieldhouse floor, and fake money was shot over the heads of prospective recruits, the AP reports. Athletic director Jeff Long said Friday night...
California's Seismic Decision
Could Reshape College Sports
Sep 30, 2019 10:00 AM CDT
California's Seismic Decision Could Reshape College Sports
State will let college athletes hire agents, make money from endorsements
- California will let college athletes hire agents and make money from endorsements, defying the NCAA and setting up a likely legal challenge that could reshape amateur sports in the US. Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom announced Monday he signed the law that would let athletes at California universities make money from...
Coach of National
Champs Declines Raise
Sep 17, 2019 12:36 PM CDT
Coach of National Champs Declines Raise
Move by University of Virginia's Tony Bennett is making waves
- University of Virginia men's basketball coach Tony Bennett has declined a pay raise offered by the school and instead asked school officials for additional compensation for his staff and program improvement, the AP reports. University officials said in a news release Monday that Bennett did sign a one-year contract...
Latest Team to
Turn Down WH
Invite: 'Difficult, If
Apr 27, 2019 6:30 AM CDT
Latest Team to Turn Down WH Invite: 'Difficult, If Not Impossible'
Tony Bennett, coach of Virginia Cavaliers, says it's a scheduling issue
- The Virginia Cavaliers won their first-ever NCAA men's basketball championship in early April by beating Texas Tech, and like many victors, the University of Virginia men's basketball team may have had a chance to visit the White House—except the team's coach says they're not going,...
Nobody Filling Out
an NCAA Bracket
Mar 26, 2019 7:42 AM CDT
Nobody Filling Out an NCAA Bracket Has Ever Done This
Gregg Nigl of Ohio is perfect through 48 games. And he had no idea
- Of the millions of people who have filled out March Madness brackets in major contests across the US, only one fan has gotten all 48 games right so far. Pretty impressive. Even more impressive? Nobody has ever done that before in the history of bracket contests, according to NCAA.com...
After FSU Victory, a
Heartbreaking Phone Call
Mar 22, 2019 8:00 AM CDT
After FSU Victory, a Heartbreaking Phone Call
Forward Phil Cofer learned his father, a former NFL player, had died after long illness
- March Madness joy followed by heartbreak: Florida State senior forward Phil Cofer watched his team take victory over Vermont on Thursday only to learn immediately after the game that his father had died. Media were enjoying an open locker room period following the 76-69 win in the first round of...
Players Take a Knee
Feb 23, 2019 6:30 PM CST
NCAA Basketball Players Take a Knee
It's in response to a Confederacy rally nearby
- Eight Mississippi players kneeled during the national anthem in response to a Confederacy rally near the arena before the Rebels' 72-71 victory over Georgia on Saturday, the AP reports. With the teams lined up across the court at the free throw lines, six players took a knee and bowed at...
Student Says MSU Protected
3 Athletes Who Raped Her
Apr 10, 2018 4:03 AM CDT
Student Says MSU Protected 3 Athletes Who Raped Her
The woman is suing, says she was told to 'just get yourself better'
- A former sports journalism major says she was raped by three Michigan State basketball players in one of several sexual assault allegations to come out of MSU's athletics program and the third brought against basketball players since 2010, the
Detroit Free Press
reports. The then-18-year-old woman says three unidentified...
Wildcats Rout Wolverines
for 2nd Title in 3 Years
Apr 3, 2018 12:11 AM CDT
Wildcats Rout Wolverines for 2nd Title in 3 Years
'Big Ragu' starred in epic Villanova win
- The Villanova Wildcats turned their second national title in three years into a rout with a 79-62 victory over Michigan in the national championship game of the NCAA Tournament Monday night. "I thought we played our best game in the championship game," Villanova coach Jay Wright says. Villanova...
It's the 'Most Surprising Upset
in College Basketball History'
Mar 17, 2018 5:36 AM CDT
It's the 'Most Surprising Upset in College Basketball History'
University of Maryland-Baltimore County trounced Virginia 74-54
- Jairus Lyles couldn't suppress a smile, knowing that a school known more for chess than hoops had finally made it happen—a 16 ousting a 1 in March Madness. The University of Maryland-Baltimore County stunned the sports world by pulling off the most surprising upset in college basketball history,...
NCAA Just Took Away
Louisville's 2013 Title
Feb 20, 2018 11:52 AM CST
NCAA Just Took Away Louisville's 2013 Title
Cardinals must forfeit championship over sex scandal
- Louisville must vacate its 2013 men's basketball title following an NCAA appeals panel's decision to uphold sanctions against the men's program in the sex scandal case. The Cardinals will have to vacate 123 victories including the championship, and return millions in conference revenue from the 2012-15 NCAA...
Source: UCLA Leaves Alleged
Shoplifting Players in China
Nov 11, 2017 4:25 PM CST
Source: UCLA Leaves Alleged Shoplifting Players in China
The rest of the team is due back in Los Angeles Saturday night
- The UCLA basketball team is heading back to Los Angeles without three players arrested on shoplifting charges in China, a person with knowledge of the situation told the AP on Saturday. Freshmen LiAngelo Ball, Jalen Hill, and Cody Riley were to remain in Hangzhou, China, while the rest of the...
Chinese Police Arrest
3 UCLA Basketball Players
Nov 7, 2017 6:58 PM CST
Chinese Police Arrest 3 UCLA Basketball Players
LiAngelo Ball, others allegedly shoplifted from Louis Vuitton store
- Three members of the UCLA men's basketball team were arrested Tuesday in China on suspicion of shoplifting from a Louis Vuitton store next to the team's hotel in Hangzhou, sources tell ESPN . The Bruins are set to open their season against Georgia Tech on Friday in Shanghai. The...
Ref Sues Radio Station After
Angry Fans Deluge Him
Oct 4, 2017 9:16 AM CDT
Ref Sues Radio Station After Angry Fans Deluge Him
John Higgins blames Kentucky station for death threats and lost business
- After North Carolina beat Kentucky on a buzzer-beater earlier this year in the NCAA tournament, Kentucky's coach and lots of fans blamed the refs. So, too, did the host of a call-in show on Kentucky Sports Radio, who directed most of his anger at referee John Higgins and read...
Hall of Fame Coach
Sep 27, 2017 12:35 PM CDT
Hall of Fame Coach 'Effectively Fired' From Louisville
Looks like Rick Pitino is out after recruiting scandal
- After 28 NCAA tournament wins and three trips to the Final Four, Rick Pitino has been "effectively fired" as the coach of the Louisville men's basketball team, his lawyer tells the AP . Pitino, a member of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, was technically put on administrative...
FBI Accuses 4 College
Coaches of Taking Bribes
Sep 26, 2017 11:55 AM CDT
FBI Accuses 4 College Coaches of Taking Bribes
Adidas marketing exec also implicated
- The director of global sports marketing for Adidas is among those charged in a bribe-paying scheme that federal authorities say was designed to match agents and advisers to players before they became NBA stars. James Gatto was arrested Tuesday along with nine others, including four assistant basketball coaches from the...
Tar Heels Take
Apr 4, 2017 12:12 AM CDT
Tar Heels Take NCAA Championship
71-65 win over Gonzaga erases year of heartache
- It's OK, Carolina, you can open your eyes. An unwatchable game turned into a beautiful night for the Tar Heels, who turned a free-throw contest into a championship they've been waiting an entire year to celebrate. Justin Jackson delivered the go-ahead three-point play with 1:40 left Monday...
Monday's Title Game
Should Be a Brawl
Apr 2, 2017 5:44 AM CDT
Monday's Title Game Should Be a Brawl
Powerhouses UNC, Gonzaga are stacked with giant, veteran players
- Their pedigrees are different, but both teams are loaded with veterans. Both have some heft in the middle. When Gonzaga meets North Carolina for the NCAA national championship on Monday night, it could be quite a brawl, reports the AP . "They're big just like us and they match...
First 1-Seed Bounced
From NCAA Tourney
Mar 18, 2017 4:53 PM CDT
First 1-Seed Bounced From NCAA Tourney
Wisconsin stuns Villanova
- Top-seeded Villanova was bounced from the NCAA Tournament by eighth-seeded Wisconsin, which overcame foul trouble for two of its stars in the second half Saturday to upset the defending champions 65-62 in the East region, the AP reports. Nigel Hayes scored 19 points, dropping a layup in traffic with 11....
Proud March Madness Mom:
Mar 17, 2017 7:42 AM CDT
Proud March Madness Mom: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Her son, Charlie, plays for Northwestern
- The fact that Julia Louis-Dreyfus' son helped her alma mater, Northwestern, make it into the NCAA March Madness bracket for the first time was a victory in itself. But then the No. 8 seed in the West actually won. Cameras caught Louis-Dreyfus, 56, looking awestruck and mouthing the words "...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
China Responds to Balloon Hit, but Its Options Are Limited
Missing Missouri Children Found in Florida Supermarket
Watch Fighter Jet Take Down China's Balloon
Hashtag 'Died Suddenly' Is Up 740% in 2 Months
US Downs Chinese Balloon Off South Carolina Coast
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.