Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 1,859,000+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
Stories 1 - 20 |
American Figure Skater in Bizarre Controversy
Mariah Bell was accused of deliberately slashing rival
- American figure skater Mariah Bell has been cleared of wrongdoing after a bizarre incident during warm-ups for the world championship in Japan on Wednesday. The agency that represents 16-year-old South Korean skater Lim Eun-Soo accused the 22-year-old Bell of deliberately kicking her with her skate, cutting her calf, the
US Olympic Cyclist Dies by Suicide
Kelly Catlin was 23
- USA Cycling says it has suffered a "devastating loss" with the death of Kelly Catlin, a track cyclist who helped the women's pursuit team win silver at the 2016 Rio Games. Relatives say the 23-year-old died by suicide at her Stanford University campus residence Friday night, Reuters reports....
To World's Surprise, America Takes Gold in Curling
Team USA upsets Sweden, after beating Canada
- Team USA has pulled off one of its biggest surprises of these Olympics: curling gold. The American men scored a decisive upset of Sweden as John Shuster skipped the United States to a 10-7 victory on Saturday. It's only the second curling medal in US history. Shuster was part...
US Curler's Shoes 'Look Like They Were in a Dumpster Fire'
Tyler George loves his Skechers anyway
- Looks can be deceiving. Just ask Team USA curler Tyler George, owner of what may be the ugliest pair of shoes to grace the Olympics. George admits his tattered white Skechers—purchased eight years ago at a mall in Duluth, Minn., where he lives and owns a liquor store—"...
Team USA Enters Olympics to 'Gangnam Style'
The Games are underway in South Korea
- Well that was fun. Team USA made a splash at the opening ceremonies of the Pyeongchang Winter Olympics in South Korea on Friday, marching in the Parade of Nations to "Gangnam Style," the 2012 hit from Korean artist PSY. (See a clip here .) Though several other countries...
Abuse Fallout Widens for USA Gymnastics
3 top board members resign as testimony continues against Larry Nassar
- More gymnasts told their stories of sexual abuse in court on Monday as the fallout over the scandal widened. Three top members of the USA Gymnastics board of directors resigned as testimony continued in the trial of former sports doctor Larry Nassar , reports
. “We support their decisions...
This Might Be the Worst Loss in US Sports History
Team USA's men's soccer team fails to qualify for World Cup for first time since 1986
- The short version is easy enough: Trinidad and Tobago upset the US Mens National Team in soccer Tuesday night, and the 2-1 loss means that the Americans won't qualify for the World Cup for the first time since 1986. But just how bad a loss is this? The defeat...
3 Elite Gymnasts Now Accuse Doctor of Sex Abuse
They're the latest to accuse Larry Nassar
- Three former elite US gymnasts, including 2000 Olympian Jamie Dantzscher, have come forward saying they were sexually abused by a former doctor facing trial on separate abuse charges. Dantzscher, three-time US rhythmic gymnastics champion Jessica Howard, and former national team member Jeanette Antolin appeared on
on Sunday, detailing...
Ex-USA Gymnastics Doc Denies Abuse Charges
Cops say there have been 50 more complaints
- A former USA Gymnastics doctor pleaded not guilty Tuesday to three counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct in his home with a girl under 13, charges that Michigan's attorney general said are the "tip of the iceberg" as authorities investigate roughly 50 complaints, the AP reports. Larry Nassar,...
Gymnasts Say Former Team USA Doc Abused Them
One accuser is a medal-winning Olympian
- There was an ugly secret at the heart of Team USA Gymnastics for many years, according to two women who accuse a longtime team doctor of abusing them as teens. In separate legal complaints, the women say Larry Nassar groped and fondled them during multiple treatments in the 1990s and...
Thanks to Women, Team USA Dominates Rio Medal Haul
America ends up 51 medals ahead of second-place China
- The US Olympic men's basketball team won its third straight gold medal and did it easily, beating Serbia 96-66 on Sunday. With the win, the Americans claim the final medal of the Rio Games and cap a dominant medal performance by Team USA overall, reports AP . The Americans—with...
US Women's Basketball Keeps Historic Gold Medal Streak Alive
Team USA defeats Spain 101-72 in Rio
- The USA women's basketball team won Olympic gold for a historically impressive sixth time in a row Saturday, defeating Spain 101-72 in Rio,
reports. The team has now won 49 games in a row. And only once has an opponent come within 10 points of Team USA...
Phelps Takes Another Gold, Busts an Ancient Record
Move over, Leonidas of Rhodes
- Michael Phelps continued his habit of winning Olympic gold Thursday night by cruising to an easy victory in the 200-meter individual-medley. It's his fourth gold at the Rio Games and his 22nd gold overall, reports AP . It's also his 13th gold in an individual event, which breaks a...
US Women's Gymnastics Dominates for Gold Medal
Team USA was more than 8 points ahead of 2nd-place Russia
- The US women's gymnastics team won gold and gave retiring national team coordinator Martha Karolyi a fitting sendoff in the Olympic finals Tuesday, putting on a two-hour display of precision and class, the AP reports. Their score of 184.897 was more than eight points points clear of silver...
Lilly King Settles Russian Feud, Wins Gold
She defeats Yulia Efimova
- This one will surely be seen as a victory for clean athletes over the dopers. No doubt that was Lilly King's take, reports the AP . The feisty American swimmer stared down Yulia Efimova, a rival at the center of Russia's doping scandal, and then beat her in the...
No, Those Aren't Hickeys on Olympic Athletes
They're bruises from 'cupping therapy'
- If you watched Michael Phelps snag his 19th gold medal in Rio Sunday, you might also have noticed he had several red dots on his upper body like "a Gatorade bottle had given him a hickey," per Fox Sports . That's essentially what happened, but instead of a...
Fencer in Hijab Makes History for Team USA
Ibtihaj Muhammad hopes to inspire change
- At age 12, Ibtihaj Muhammad chose to learn fencing because she considered it the easiest sport in which she could compete while wearing a hijab. Eighteen years later, she's made history as Team USA's first hijab-wearing Olympian, reports the BBC . The 30-year-old former world champion, ranked eighth in...
Team USA's Most-Decorated Athlete Will Be Its Flag-Bearer
Star swimmer will be Team USA's flag-bearer at Friday's opening ceremony
- "King of the Olympic Rings" Michael Phelps already has more medals than any other athlete in history, Fox Sports notes. Now he's going to add a flag to the mix as Team USA's flag-bearer at the opening ceremony in Rio on Friday, the Olympic National Committee announced...
Team USA Revels in a Rare American Honor
Lloyd, Wambach, and Co. celebrated in New York City's Canyon of Heroes
- Throngs of young girls and other fans of the US women's soccer team filled lower Manhattan this morning for a ticker-tape parade celebrating its Women's World Cup victory. The parade-goers started gathering at 3:30am along the Canyon of Heroes, a stretch of Broadway where the nation's...
USA Routs Japan to Win World Cup, 5-2
Carli Lloyd scores hat trick in first half en route to 5-2 victory
- So much for drama. The US women's soccer team beat Japan for the World Cup tonight by a score of 5-2—and four of those goals came in the first 16 minutes, three of them courtesy of Carli Lloyd. Lloyd made it 1-0 at the three-minute mark, 2-0 at...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Last Pension Tied to Civil War Has Been Paid Out
Ben & Jerry's 'Just Put All Corporate Statements to Shame'
It Was a Major COVID Study. Now, Something Fishy?
Here's How Much a Mask Reduces Coronavirus Transmission
Trump Responds to Mattis' Scathing Rebuke
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.