Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Wealth Inequality Grows, With
10% Owning 89% of Stocks
Oct 18, 2021 7:05 PM CDT
Wealth Inequality Grows, With 10% Owning 89% of Stocks
Gap has increased during the pandemic, helped by the market
- Stock ownership is more concentrated than ever, Federal Reserve data show, with the wealthiest 10% of households owning 89% of US stocks. The stocks differential is reflected in the growing wealth inequity, CNBC reports, with 1% of Americans holding 32% of wealth, also a record. "The top 1% own...
Bezos Leaves CEO Post With
a Pretty Penny in His Pocket
Jul 5, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
Bezos Leaves CEO Post With a Pretty Penny in His Pocket
Amazon founder is worth $201.8B—about 740,000 times median net worth of an American at age 65
- Jeff Bezos may be giving up his CEO title , but he'll hold onto world's richest man honors, at least for now. The Amazon chief officially hands over the reins Monday to Andy Jassy, the head of the company's web services, but not before amassing a net worth...
It's a Very
Good Day for
Nov 17, 2020 7:37 AM CST
It's a Very Good Day for Elon Musk
Tesla CEO is about to become 3rd-richest person on the planet as his company joins S&P 500
- Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk is set to overtake Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg as the world's third-richest person on Tuesday. Tesla's stock closed just above $408 on Monday but jumped 14% in after-hours trading following news that the company will join the S&P 500 index on...
Well Behind Boomers
in Amassing Wealth
Oct 9, 2020 5:15 PM CDT
Millennials Lag Well Behind Boomers in Amassing Wealth
Generation controls only 4.6% of US wealth, while boomers have 53%
- Millennials are better educated than earlier generations and represent the biggest chunk of the workforce. But the financial rewards have not yet come to them. Federal Reserve data show the generation held 4.6% of the nation's wealth in the first half of the year, CNBC reports. The silent...
Joins an Elite Club
Aug 27, 2020 1:08 PM CDT
Elon Musk Joins an Elite Club
He is now one of 4 'centibillionaires' on the planet
- MacKenzie Scott may just become the world's richest woman after all . Her ex-husband, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos, should be celebrating, too. Bezos' wealth topped $200 billion on Wednesday as shares in the e-commerce giant hit a record. As Bloomberg reports, the climb brings Scott "to the brink of...
Wallet Just Had a
Jul 21, 2020 7:24 AM CDT
Jeff Bezos' Wallet Just Had a Record-Setting Day
Amazon founder added $13B to his net worth on Monday
- How do you treat yourself when you make $13 billion in one day? We'll have to ask Jeff Bezos, who, per Bloomberg , saw that amount added to his net worth Monday, the largest single-day boost to one person's wealth since the Bloomberg Billionaires Index began in 2012. A...
May 15, 2020 6:25 AM CDT
As Bezos Heads Toward Trillionaire, Outrage
Analysis suggests he could be first trillionaire by 2026
- Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos found himself the target of attacks from Sen. Elizabeth Warren, Rep. Bonnie Watson Coleman, and a lot of social media users on Thursday as outlets highlighted an analysis suggesting he'll become the first ever trillionaire. Business website Comparisun determined the 56-year-old—with a current net...
Laurene Powell Jobs
on Family Wealth:
'It Ends With Me'
Feb 29, 2020 12:00 PM CST
Laurene Powell Jobs on Family Wealth: 'It Ends With Me'
Steve Job's widow says she wants her $24B to be spread around
- The world's 35-richest person says her children aren't likely to inherit very much, Business Insider reports. Laurene Powell Jobs, widow of the late Steve Jobs, says she wants to distribute the former Apple CEO's money "in ways that lift up individuals and communities in a sustainable...
It's Not the Stuff That
Makes the Rich Happier
Nov 28, 2019 4:00 PM CST
It's Not the Stuff That Makes the Rich Happier
Researchers find differences in how we spend our leisure time and work autonomy
- Being wealthy must have its stresses. You might have to choose between a Rolls-Royce Dawn and Phantom. And did you see the Wraith? Still — Chin up! — the evidence is that they manage to be happier than the rest of us, Forge reports. But it's not the new...
Sanders Just One-Upped
Warren on a Signature Issue
Sep 24, 2019 10:45 AM CDT
Sanders Just One-Upped Warren on a Signature Issue
Sanders' wealth tax proposal would affect more households, raise more revenue: economists
- Elizabeth Warren is suddenly facing competition on the signature issue of her presidential campaign. Enter Bernie Sanders, who on Tuesday unveiled his plan to "substantially reduce wealth inequality in America and stop our democracy from turning into a corrupt oligarchy." Whereas Warren backs a 2% wealth tax on...
Buy Has Jaws
Dec 16, 2018 1:33 PM CST
Pastor's Lavish Buy Has Jaws Dropping
Pastor John Gray got his wife a Lamborghini
- "You light my fire, let this Lamborghini light your fire, baby." So said Pastor John Gray when he gave his wife a Lamborghini Urus last Sunday—a gesture that sparked some criticism of his spending habits, the
reports. But Gray, an associate pastor at Joel Osteen'...
NYC No Longer Has the
Most Super-Rich People
Sep 6, 2018 9:00 AM CDT
NYC No Longer Has the Most Super-Rich People
That honor transfers to Hong Kong
- Looking to hobnob with the rich but not necessarily famous? Although New York City used to be where you'd be find the largest population of super-rich people in the world, Hong Kong has taken over the top spot this year, CNNMoney notes. That's per a new report from...
'Gambling Mecca' Is About to
Become Richest Place on Earth
Aug 10, 2018 7:08 AM CDT
'Gambling Mecca' Is About to Become Richest Place on Earth
Macau is set to surpass Qatar, per a new IMF ranking
- A "gambling mecca" is set to oust Qatar as the richest place on Earth, per the International Monetary Fund's newest stats. Bloomberg reports that the IMF's World Economic Outlook database has pegged Macau as the planet's wealthiest place, with its economy on track to reach the...
Kylie Jenner on Track
to Beat Billionaire Record
Jul 12, 2018 2:59 AM CDT
Kylie Jenner on Track to Beat Billionaire Record
20-year-old is sole owner of $800B company
- Kylie Jenner is known as a reality TV star and a model. But the
Keeping Up With the Kardashians
star is, at, 20, also an extremely successful businesswoman and is on course to become the youngest self-made billionaire ever, reports
, which estimates her current fortune at $900 million. Most...
A Midlife 'Wealth Shock'
May Lead to Your Death
Apr 4, 2018 6:58 AM CDT
A Midlife 'Wealth Shock' May Lead to Your Death
Study finds Americans who suffered a financial blow were more likely to die
- A big financial loss may shorten your life, a new study suggests. Middle-aged Americans who experienced a sudden, large economic blow were more likely to die during the following years than those who didn't. The heightened danger of death after a devastating loss, which researchers called a "wealth...
Trump Still a Multi-Billionaire,
but His Ranking Tumbles
Mar 6, 2018 11:51 AM CST
Trump Still a Multi-Billionaire, but His Ranking Tumbles
He falls to No. 766 in newest ranking by 'Forbes'
- President Trump probably won't be happy to see
' 2018 ranking of the world's richest people—he has fallen from No. 544 to No. 766. The list pegs Trump's fortune at $3.1 billion, $400 million less than in 2017.
notes that New York City'...
Why a Tech Pioneer's $59B
Fortune May Be Fleeting
Jan 5, 2018 8:04 AM CST
Why a Tech Pioneer's $59B Fortune May Be Fleeting
Ripple CEO Chris Larsen's riches may just be part of cryptocurrency 'hysteria,' analyst says
- Chris Larsen may not be the household name that Mark Zuckerberg is, but with the amount of wealth he has (at least on paper), he may not care.
notes Larsen has in his personal holdings 5.19 billion XRP tokens from his virtual-currency company, Ripple, in addition to a...
One US Representative Is
Worth More than $476M
Nov 24, 2017 4:25 PM CST
One US Representative Is Worth More than $476M
Jared Polis tops list of wealthiest members of Congress
- Most members of Congress are millionaires, but which ones are the millionaire-iest? That's the question 24/7 Wall St. set out to answer, compiling a list of the 25 wealthiest members of Congress based on data from the nonprofit Center for Responsive Politics' Opensecrets.org. Eighteen of the lawmakers on...
Richest 1% Now Control
Record 50.1% of Global Wealth
Nov 14, 2017 4:54 PM CST
Richest 1% Now Control Record 50.1% of Global Wealth
According to a new report
- Good news: Global wealth rose by 6.4% in 2017 in the fastest yearly increase since 2012, the
reports. Bad news: The distribution of that new wealth was as uneven as ever. According to Credit Suisse's 2017
Global Wealth Report
, the richest 1% now account for a...
The Earth Has a New
Jul 27, 2017 10:45 AM CDT
The Earth Has a New 'Richest Person'
With a net worth of $90.9 billion, Jeff Bezos just surpassed Bill Gates
- A strong morning for shares of Amazon has resulted in bragging rights for CEO Jeff Bezos: He is now the richest person on the planet. Bezos' net worth climbed to $90.9 billion about 10am EDT Thursday, putting him ahead of Gates at $90.7 billion, per Bloomberg . It's...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cruise Cancels at Sea, Stranding Passengers
Transportation CEO Steps In Front of Train to His Death
DeSantis: Wish I'd Been 'Much Louder' Against Trump's COVID Move
University President Fired For 'Inappropriate Relationship'
Bob Saget Widow Breaks Silence After Star's Death
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.