Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Crane Operator Praised for
Dramatic High-Rise Rescue
Nov 23, 2023 8:00 PM CST
Crane Operator Praised for Dramatic High-Rise Rescue
He saved man from top of burning building
- A crane operator played down tributes paid to him on Thursday after he lifted a man to safety from a burning high-rise building in England. Video from the scene in the town of Reading in southern England showed a man being rescued by a crane cage from the roof of...
'3 Miracles' Saved
This Texas Hiker
Nov 15, 2023 9:45 AM CST
'3 Miracles' Saved This Texas Hiker
Jeff Hahn tells 'Texas Highways' of survival amid intense, often deadly heat
- A Texas man who spent 27 hours lost in the desert says he survived thanks to rescuers and "three miracles" that occurred before he met them. As Jeff Hahn tells
, he was hiking with his adult daughter at Big Bend Ranch State Park in...
Rescuers Spot 'Unusual' Rock:
It Was Their Lost Hiker
Nov 13, 2023 10:25 AM CST
Rescuers Spot 'Unusual' Rock: It Was Their Lost Hiker
Colorado rescue team saves a very cold adventurer on mountain
- A hiker clad in a cotton hoodie ended up in serious trouble last week when a snowstorm swept over Colorado's Mount Princeton. However, all ended well when members of Chaffee County Search and Rescue who were tracking footprints in the snow came across "an unusual looking rock at...
This Humpback Whale
Got a Much-Needed Rescue
Nov 6, 2023 10:35 AM CST
This Humpback Whale Got a Much-Needed Rescue
'Hog-tied' juvenile in Alaska had gotten caught up in a 300lb crab pot, and lines
- When Alaska fishermen dropped a 300lb crab pot in the waters close to Glacier Bay National Park, they were probably hoping to catch, well, crabs. What they got instead was a much bigger catch—though not in a good way. As NPR reports, the crab pot and its lines got...
The Coast Guard Called Off Its
Search. Then, a Lone Life Raft
Oct 28, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
The Coast Guard Called Off Its Search. Then, a Lone Life Raft
Sailor who went missing 2 weeks ago found alive in life raft off coast of Washington state
- On Oct. 12, two fishermen set out from Washington state's Grays Harbor in a 43-foot vessel called Evening, set to return three days later. They never came back, however, and were missing for two weeks—until Thursday, when one of the men, floating in a life raft, was rescued...
Her Apple Watch
Sep 20, 2023 6:10 PM CDT
Rescuers Pull Woman Hunting Her Apple Watch From Outhouse
There's a lesson in her story, Michigan state police say
- A woman was rescued Tuesday from an outhouse toilet in northern Michigan after she climbed in to retrieve her Apple Watch and became trapped. The woman, whose name was not released, lowered herself inside the toilet after dropping the watch at the Department of Natural Resources boat launch at Dixon...
Teen Rescued From
California's Tallest Bridge
Sep 20, 2023 3:57 PM CDT
Teen Rescued From California's Tallest Bridge
He was cited for trespassing after he was rescued from rope 700 feet above river
- Rescuers say a 19-year-old was "pretty shaken up" when he was brought to safety from California's tallest bridge, and it's easy to see why. The teen was stuck for more than an hour dangling from a rope around 700 feet above the North Fork of the American...
'Faint Yelps' From Rubble Lead
to Happy Ending in Morocco
Sep 15, 2023 12:12 PM CDT
'Faint Yelps' From Rubble Lead to Happy Ending in Morocco
CBS engineer to adopt one of 2 dogs found alive in debris this week
- The loss of life in Morocco following last week's 6.8 magnitude earthquake is hard to grasp. Luckily, signs of life have emerged from the rubble as well. The UK's Kent Fire and Rescue Service reported Wednesday that members had rescued a dog trapped among debris in the...
Boy Saves Drowning Man
With CPR Learned 'on TV'
Sep 13, 2023 9:55 AM CDT
Boy Saves Drowning Man With CPR Learned 'on TV'
12-year-old Austen MacMillan of Florida credited with saving the life of his behavioral therapist
- Twelve-year-old Austen MacMillan was swimming with his behavioral therapist in a backyard pool when the therapist decided to see how long he could hold his breath underwater. He didn't come back up. "It was like [five to six] minutes he was under the water and I was like,...
US Caver Is Safe
Sep 12, 2023 1:22 AM CDT
After Trickiest of Rescues, US Caver Is Safe
Mark Dickey is back above ground after getting sick in Turkey cave
- After what organizers say was one of the biggest and most complicated underground rescues of all time, US cave explorer Mark Dickey was brought back to the surface safely early Tuesday local time. Dickey, 40, fell ill while mapping unknown pathways in a cavern in Turkey more than a week...
They Had Sailed the World for
2 Years. Then Came the Sharks
in case you missed it
Sep 10, 2023 7:21 AM CDT
They Had Sailed the World for 2 Years. Then Came the Sharks
3 sailors rescued from their sinking catamaran
- It was an around-the-world trip that almost ended in death, possibly by drowning or at the hands of sharks. But "an emergency beacon absolutely saved their lives" says a manager at the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) of three men who were rescued Wednesday from their shark-battered inflatable catamaran....
Disaster Strikes for
US Cave Explorer
Sep 7, 2023 9:08 AM CDT
Disaster Strikes for US Cave Explorer
150 people work to free scientist Mark Dickey, who fell ill deep inside Turkey's Morca Cave
- Crews are desperately working to save an American cave explorer stuck some 4,000 feet underground in Turkey's third-deepest cavern. Mark Dickey, 40, a cave scientist and rescuer himself, was part of a team of 15 explorers who ventured into the Morca Cave in the remote Taurus mountain belt...
Man Stuck on
in case you missed it
Aug 26, 2023 10:19 AM CDT
Man Stuck on Uninhabited Island Is Rescued
He told the US Coast Guard he was stranded on Cay Sal for 3 days
- It's the stuff of movies, complete with a happy ending. A man who spent three days stranded on an uninhabited island in the Bahamas was rescued by the US Coast Guard on Friday. Coast Guard Sector Key West watchstanders credited the stranded sailor for having "the proper safety...
All 8 Rescued From
Dangling Cable Car
Aug 22, 2023 1:59 PM CDT
All 8 Rescued From Dangling Cable Car
'Everyone was praying for this moment'
- Six children and two adults have been rescued safely from a cable car that was dangling over a rive canyon in a remote area of Pakistan for more than 12 hours. Authorities say military commandos assisted by civilians used helicopters and a makeshift chairlift to rescue the group from more...
Coast Guard: We
Found 4 Missing Divers
Aug 14, 2023 9:08 AM CDT
Coast Guard: We Found 4 Missing Divers
Men rescued Sunday off coast of North Carolina in the 'graveyard of the Atlantic'
- The Coast Guard has an update on four divers who went missing over the weekend off the coast of North Carolina, and it's a good one: The men have been found alive, reports CNN . An early Monday post from USCG Mid-Atlantic on X, formerly known as Twitter, noted that...
Dog Rescues Woman
Two Days After Crash
Aug 11, 2023 2:48 PM CDT
Dog Rescues Woman Two Days After Crash
Police canine leads handler to woman in cornfield who was seriously injured in car accident
- A woman who was missing after being seriously injured in a car crash was discovered two days later by a police dog in a dense cornfield in southeastern Michigan, authorities said. "We knew she didn't have much longer in order to live," said state Trooper Jeff Schrieber,...
Polly Want a Mountain Rescue?
Jul 26, 2023 12:44 PM CDT
Polly Want a Mountain Rescue?
Woman and her bird got stranded on Welsh mountain
- The good news is that the woman was reunited with her pet parrot. The bad news is that in going in search of her lost bird, she ended up stranded on a Welsh mountain and in need of a rescue herself. The unidentified woman had set out with a group...
at Sea Tells
Jul 23, 2023 5:15 PM CDT
Sailor Stranded at Sea Tells His Tale
Tim Shaddock, adrift for months, relied on his dog, journaling, and meditation
- He quit his corporate job and moved to Mexico to pursue his dream of sailing solo across the ocean. Australian Timothy Shaddock, 54, bought his 30-foot catamaran two years ago in the Mexican Pacific resort of Puerto Vallarta. He needed a place to live and he liked the isolation. "...
Sailor—and His Dog—Survive
2 Months Adrift at Sea
Jul 17, 2023 3:30 PM CDT
Sailor—and His Dog—Survive 2 Months Adrift at Sea
Tim Haddock, 51, and Bella consumed rainwater and raw fish
- A 51-year-old Australian sailor kept himself and his dog alive for two months while adrift in the Pacific Ocean, reports 9News . Tim Shaddock and Bella set off from Mexico for French Polynesia three months ago, but a storm one month into the trip damaged the boat and wiped out its...
Man Falls Into Manhole, Is
Swept a Mile Through Sewers
Jul 8, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Man Falls Into Manhole, Is Swept a Mile Through Sewers
'Amazing' that he lived through it, city official says after rescue in Omaha, Nebraska
- Firefighters rescued two Nebraska men who fell into a manhole during heavy rain in downtown Omaha on Friday, including one who was washed about a mile through sewer pipes before getting trapped behind a metal grate, per the AP . The men, who were workers for a private contractor, Ace Pipe...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast Food Restaurant
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Kevin McCarthy to Exit the House at Month's End
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.