New features on our site
Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Helicopters Pull 200 From Wildfire
Rescues continue overnight in Sierra National Forest
- More than 200 people were airlifted to safety after a fast-moving wildfire trapped them in a popular camping area in California's Sierra National Forest. The California Office of Emergency Services said Black Hawk and Chinook helicopters were used for the rescues that began late Saturday and continued through the...
A Kayaker Fell Into the Lake. You'll Never Guess Who Saved Him
Pretty sure priests on a floating tiki bar wasn't your first guess
- A man from upstate New York was rescued on Lake George earlier this month, and he's got a bunch of partying priests to thank for it. WNYT reports that Jimmy Macdonald was kayaking on the lake with his wife and stepkids when he drifted far from shore, distracted by...
4-Year-Old on Unicorn Saved by Ferry Captain
Strong currents took Greek girl to open sea
- In a feat worthy of Greek mythology, a heroic sea captain rescued a young girl who had been taken to treacherous waters by a unicorn. The 4-year-old was playing on an inflatable unicorn pool toy when a strong current took her away from the beach at the town of Antirio...
In 'Scene From
,' Portugal President Makes a Big Save
Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa, in Algarve region to boost tourism, helped rescue 2 kayakers
- In normal nonpandemic years, guests flock to the Algarve in Portugal to holiday in the sun. One high-profile name's own recent trip there may have just given the region a little unexpected promotion. Local media reports that Portuguese President Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa has been spending his vacation heading...
Lobster Buoy, Smart Fisherman Save Lives of 2 Women
Paddleboarders were missing for 15 hours off the coast of Ireland
- Two women who went out paddleboarding on Ireland's Galway Bay are alive today thanks to two things: a lobster buoy and a fisherman determined to find them. The cousins, ages 17 and 23, were apparently swept out to sea in high winds Wednesday, reports the
. They spent 15...
Officer Saves Man on Tracks in the Nick of Time
Video shows Erika Urrea pull man from wheelchair with train barreling down
- It's a heart-stopping video : An officer's body camera captured the moment when she saved a man in a wheelchair from a train with no time to spare. The incident took place in Lodi, California, when officer Erika Urrea spotted a man whose wheelchair appeared to be stuck on...
9-Year-Old Boy Acts Fast, Saves Dad in Diving Accident
Pensacola's Asaih Williams, 9, pulled his father to the shore after a neck fracture
- "All I remember was that he said he broke his neck and he said he was scared," Asaih Williams tells the
Pensacola News Journal
. The 9-year-old was recounting the moments after his father, Joshua, fractured his neck while diving into shallow water. Joshua emerged from the bottom of...
SOS in the Sand Gets 3 Sailors Rescued
Men found stranded on Micronesian island
- Three sailors who went missing in the middle of the Pacific when they strayed off course and ran out of fuel were rescued Sunday using quite possibly the oldest trick in the book: writing SOS in the sand. It was spotted from the air by Australian and US military forces,...
Owl Is Well After Dramatic Rescue
Hooting was heard from bottom of well at old castle
- All's well that ends well—and a young owl is well after the end of its ordeal in a well in a ruined 12th-century castle in Germany. Authorities in Bad Segeberg say a 3.5-hour rescue operation involving around 20 people was launched Saturday after hoots of distress were...
16 Rescuers Carry 'Massive' St. Bernard Down Mountain
It took nearly 5 hours
- St. Bernards were bred to help rescue people in the Alps—but in England on Sunday, it was humans who had to rescue a St. Bernard from the country's highest mountain. The 121-pound dog, named Daisy, stopped moving and refused to go any further after showing signs of leg...
'What Mattered Was to Catch' Them
Brothers were unharmed by 33-foot fall
- Two young brothers were saved from an apartment fire in the southeastern French city of Grenoble when they dropped about 33 feet from a window and were caught by people below. The two, aged 10 and 3, were unharmed by the fall Tuesday but might have suffered from smoke inhalation,...
Man Fleeing Wild Dog Is Trapped in Well for 6 Days
Ukrainian man Roberts Jacob Matthews spent 6 days in it
- A Ukrainian man who fell into an abandoned well and broke his leg while being chased by a wild dog on Indonesia’s tourist island of Bali was rescued after being trapped for nearly a week, police said Monday. Roberts Jacob Matthews, 29, stumbled into the nearly empty 13-foot-deep concrete...
Search for Missing Hikers Went On for Week-Plus. Then, Smoke
Couple rescued after 19 days in New Zealand wilderness, with food to last just a week
- Two missing hikers have been found alive after 19 days in a New Zealand national forest. Kayak guide Jessica O'Connor and chef Dion Reynolds, both 23, were discovered in a tiny clearing in Kahurangi National Park at the north end of the South Island after a search helicopter spotted...
Teen Swims Length of 6 Football Fields to Save Dad, Sis
'I felt like it was the right thing to do,' Kiana French of Maine says after boat-flipping incident
- A 16-year-old Maine girl is being hailed as a hero for pulling off a major swim to save her dad and sister after their boat flipped in frigid waters. The
reports Kiana French was fishing Sunday on Parlin Pond in Somerset with her father, Gary, and her 14-year-old...
3-Year-Old's 'Keen Observation' Saves Elderly Neighbor
Boy noticed papers piling up on porch of NH woman who was trapped in her basement
- An elderly New Hampshire woman who was trapped in her basement is doing well after being saved by the most unlikely of rescuers. Per KWTX , police were called to a home in Hampton on Wednesday after a boy noticed something unusual on a neighbor's doorstep. CBS Boston identifies the...
Hiker Survives 200-Foot Fall on Mount Washington
Ashley Furness, 35, was rescued with the Cog Railway train's help
- A hiker descending Mount Washington who fell about 200 feet and got hurt was rescued with the help of the Cog Railway train that takes visitors up and down the summit during tourism season. New Hampshire Fish and Game conservation officers said the hiker, Ashley Furness, 35, of Bartlett, was...
They Heard a Yell, Then Saw the Snow-Covered Home
74-year-old man rescued after 5 days stuck in his house
- Amid a sea of stories about Americans being stuck in their homes, a different version out of Northern California. CBS Sacramento reports that after heavy snow in Calaveras County, a 74-year-old man became trapped in his home. He was reportedly stuck there with no food, power, or phone with which...
Trucker Rescued Moments Before Rig Explodes
NJ troopers pulled man to safety
- Two New Jersey state troopers pulled a trucker to safety just seconds before his burning tractor-trailer exploded, the AP reports. Trooper Robert Tarleton had stopped a vehicle on Interstate 287 on Monday when he saw the truck become engulfed in flames after it hit a guardrail and bridge abutment, state...
Allure of 'Magic Bus' Causes Emergency for 5 Tourists
5 Italian hikers rescued near site made famous by 'Into the Wild'
- Five tourists are lucky to be alive after trying to make a frigid trek to an Alaskan site made famous by
Into the Wild
. Tri-Valley Fire Chief Brad Randall tells the
Anchorage Daily News
that Alaska State Troopers and members of the Tri-Valley Fire Department responded on snowmobile to an...
Kayaker's Lost Phone Ends Up Saving Him
Mark Miele, 67, didn't return Jan. 29 as planned
- A kayaker who went missing during a solo trip in the Florida Everglades was found alive after his cell phone washed up on a riverbank and authorities were able to recover data showing where he'd been. A helicopter crew then spotted Mark Miele, 67, and led a marine unit...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cake Boss Star Hurt in Horrific Bowling Accident
Trump's Niece: I Want My Money Back
Refuse to Concede? Here's One Theory
Their 'Fish Story' Ended With Felony Convictions
Guy's Decision to Switch From Red Licorice to Black Was Fatal
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.