Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'Operation Boo Dat' Ends
With Sex-Offender Arrests
Jan 3, 2022 9:10 AM CST
'Operation Boo Dat' Ends With Sex-Offender Arrests
Monthslong effort also tracks down 5 missing teens in Louisiana
- For most of the fall season, the US Marshals Service was hard at work in Louisiana, scoping out the New Orleans area in an annual crime-fighting operation that paid off big time this year. In a report issued in 2021's final days, the agency announced that thanks to "...
Oldest US WWII Vet Celebrates
112th With Drive-By Party
Sep 13, 2021 7:10 PM CDT
Oldest US WWII Vet Celebrates 112th With Drive-By Party
New Orleans honors Lawrence Brooks with music and a parade
- A Louisiana man who is the oldest living World War II veteran in the United States has marked his 112th birthday. Lawrence Brooks celebrated Sunday with a drive-by party at his New Orleans home hosted by the National World War II Museum, The Times-Picayune/The New Orleans Advocate reported. He also...
5 Die in New Orleans'
Sep 6, 2021 4:30 PM CDT
5 Die in New Orleans' Senior Apartments
City forms teams to search hot buildings after some residents were trapped
- Officials in New Orleans are thoroughly inspecting senior living apartments in the city in the aftermath of Hurricane Ida after finding people living in buildings without working generators, trapping residents in wheelchairs in dark, sweltering upper floors. Five people died in the private buildings Sunday, and hundreds have already been...
New Orleans Swelters
in Hurricane's Aftermath
Aug 31, 2021 5:02 PM CDT
New Orleans Swelters in Hurricane's Aftermath
Residents are under a heat advisory, and there's no power for air-con
- In New Orleans, the levees held during Hurricane Ida—but the entire city was left without power, as were hundreds of thousands of homes elsewhere in Louisiana and Mississippi, and those without generators will now have to swelter in dangerous heat without air-con. The National Weather Service issued a heat...
of Ida's Damage
Aug 30, 2021 1:56 PM CDT
Images Emerge of Ida's Damage
Hurricane 'came in and did everything that was advertised, unfortunately'
- Hurricane Ida "came in and did everything that was advertised, unfortunately," Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards said Monday as images of damage caused by one of the most powerful hurricanes ever to hit the US mainland emerged. Rescuers set out in hundreds of boats and helicopters to reach...
Aug 30, 2021 6:51 AM CDT
Al Roker Defends His Hurricane Coverage
Viewers say 67-year-old is too old to be out in such storms, and he responds, 'try to keep up'
- One of the reporters out in the storm as Ida pummeled Louisiana on Sunday was 67-year-old weatherman Al Roker. As Mashable notes, social media clips of Roker, including one from NBC all but boasting that he was being "pummeled by waves" as the storm bore down on New Orleans,...
All of New Orleans Loses
Power as Ida Rolls Through
Aug 30, 2021 6:49 AM CDT
All of New Orleans Loses Power as Ida Rolls Through
Power is out as hurricane is downgraded to a tropical storm
- The entire city of New Orleans was without power Monday morning thanks to Hurricane Ida. The weather system is now over Mississippi, having been downgraded to a tropical storm 16 hours after making landfall in Louisiana, reports the AP . Despite the downgrade, storm surges, winds, and heavy rain pose a...
Hurricane Ida Storm Surge
Will Be 'Unsurvivable'
Aug 29, 2021 9:00 AM CDT
Hurricane Ida Storm Surge Will Be 'Unsurvivable'
Now a category 4 as Gulf Coast landfall imminent
- As predicted, Hurricane Ida has strengthened to a devastating category 4 storm as it makes its inevitable march toward the Gulf Coast early Sunday, the 16th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina's landfall. Per CNN , the storm now has sustained winds of 150mph, which puts it just under a catastrophic category...
for a Major
Aug 27, 2021 2:21 PM CDT
New Orleans Prepares for a Major Hurricane
Ida makes landfall in Cuba and is forecast to reach Louisiana on Sunday
- Now a hurricane, Ida made landfall in Cuba on Friday and was on track to cross the Gulf and hit Louisiana hard Sunday as a Category 3 storm. "The forecast track has it headed straight towards New Orleans. Not good," said a senior scientist with the Climate Service,...
'Ida Certainly Has the
Potential to Be Very Bad'
Aug 27, 2021 12:20 AM CDT
'Ida Certainly Has the Potential to Be Very Bad'
Louisiana declares emergency as tropical storm approaches
- Tropical Storm Ida prompted a hurricane watch for New Orleans and an emergency declaration for the state of Louisiana as it pushed across the Caribbean toward an anticipated strike on Cuba Friday. Ida could be near major hurricane strength by the time it reaches the northern Gulf Coast, which forecasters...
DHS Seizes 'Low-Quality'
Fake Vaccination Cards
Aug 14, 2021 2:25 PM CDT
DHS Seizes 'Low-Quality' Fake Vaccination Cards
Sellers advertise bogus documents openly online
- On Thursday, New Orleans announced that anyone wanting to enter a bar, restaurant, gym, or concert will have to show proof of a COVID-19 vaccination or a recent negative coronavirus test, WDSU reports. On Friday, customs officers said they had intercepted a shipment of fake cards on their way to...
10 Most, Least
Stressed US Cities
Jul 12, 2021 11:45 AM CDT
10 Most, Least Stressed US Cities
Per WalletHub, Cleveland needs a chill pill, while S. Burlington in Vermont is kicking back just fine
- It's been a tough 16 months, and stress levels have been high—though in some cities across the country, that stress has been tougher to contend with than in others. WalletHub wanted to see which places have been dealing with things best (and which not so much), so it...
Vaxxed and Ready to Relax?
These US Cities Are Waiting
Jun 21, 2021 11:12 AM CDT
Vaxxed and Ready to Relax? These US Cities Are Waiting
San Francisco tops LawnStarter's list of best places for the vaccinated to enjoy summer vacation
- Summer is here, and if you're cautiously starting to reemerge from the pandemic, you may wonder if it's possible to contemplate some well-deserved holiday time. LawnStarter answers that question for the fully vaccinated with its ranking of US cities ideal for "vaxcations." The site looked at...
He Stole 2 Shirts From Saks,
Spent 20 Years in Prison
Apr 12, 2021 4:22 PM CDT
He Stole 2 Shirts From Saks, Spent 20 Years in Prison
Guy Frank was sentenced as a multiple offender
- Guy Frank walked out of a Saks Fifth Avenue with two shirts he hadn't paid for in September 2000. On Friday, he walked out of a New Orleans prison a free man, having served 20 years for the crime. WDSU reports an arm of the Innocence Project New Orleans...
Suit: For Months,
Cop Gained Teen's
He Raped Her
Mar 6, 2021 9:00 AM CST
Suit: For Months, Cop Gained Teen's Trust. Then He Raped Her
Complaint filed by mom says Rodney Vicknair was officer originally sent to take girl for a rape exam
- A New Orleans cop is now a former one after accusations that he groomed and raped a 14-year-old girl he'd taken for a rape evaluation. The allegations against Rodney Vicknair are detailed in a lawsuit by the teen's mother, which says that Vicknair was the police officer dispatched...
'Moral Concerns' Hover
Over J&J Vaccine
in case you missed it
Mar 6, 2021 7:00 AM CST
'Moral Concerns' Hover Over J&J Vaccine
Archdiocese of New Orleans, Diocese of Baton Rouge slam it for using cell lines from abortions
- As health experts continue to plead with the public to accept any vaccine currently offered—be it one from Pfizer, Moderna, or Johnson & Johnson —a new wrinkle has emerged for the latter shot in Louisiana. That's because on Friday, the Archdiocese of New Orleans implored Catholics to,...
Officer Working Security
at High School Game Killed
Feb 27, 2021 10:07 AM CST
Officer Working Security at High School Game Killed
It may have stemmed from an argument over masks
- A suspect has been arrested in connection with the death of a police officer, who was shot and killed Friday night during a high school basketball game in New Orleans, ABC reports. Martinus Mitchum, a 38-year-old Tulane University police officer, was working security at the game at George Washington Carver...
Mardi Gras Canceled?
New Orleans Wasn't Having It
Feb 16, 2021 6:37 AM CST
Mardi Gras Canceled? New Orleans Wasn't Having It
Thousands of house floats have been set up for locals to safely stroll by
- Thanks to the pandemic, there won't be any Mardi Gras parades this year in New Orleans—but what there will be is the Krewe of House Floats. That's the name of the initiative created by Megan Boudreaux in November when the city announced the parades had been canceled,...
41 People Test
Dec 1, 2020 4:20 PM CST
41 People Test Positive After Swingers Event
'I wouldn’t do it again,' New Orleans organizer says
- Bob Hannaford said coronavirus protocols were in place when a swingers event began this month in New Orleans. There were masks, social distancing, and virus and antibody tests. Still, NOLA.com reports, at least 41 of the attendees have tested positive for the coronavirus. "If I could go back...
Mom Walked Her Daughter
to School—and Into History
Nov 11, 2020 7:27 AM CST
Mom Walked Her Daughter to School—and Into History
Lucille Bridges, 'a Mother of the Civil Rights Movement,' dies at 86
- Lucille Bridges, the mother of civil rights activist Ruby Bridges, who walked with her then-6-year-old daughter past crowds screaming racist slurs as she became the first Black student at her all-white New Orleans elementary school, has died at the age of 86, per the AP . "Today our country lost...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
After 24-Hour Treatment, Frogs Started Regrowing Lost Limbs
After Bridge Collapses, a Human Chain Forms
Retrieval of Sunken F35 Is 'Vitally Important' for US
Buffalo Bills Have Fans Arrested Over Their Vaccine Cards
Michael Madsen: Son's Death Is 'Mind-Blowing'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.