Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Beach DiCaprio Made Famous
Reopens Years Later
Nov 17, 2021 2:13 PM CST
Beach DiCaprio Made Famous Reopens Years Later
Thailand's Maya Bay features in the 1998 film 'The Beach'
Nearly three years after the public was barred from the idyllic beach that featured in the Leonardo DiCaprio movie
tourists will once again be welcomed back. The closure of Thailand's Maya Bay was supposed to last just four months but was extended to achieve a rehabilitation...
Woman Allegedly Cut Rope
Holding Painters 30 Stories Up
Oct 27, 2021 1:52 PM CDT
Woman Allegedly Cut Rope Holding Painters 30 Stories Up
Incident happened in Thailand
- A resident of a high-rise condominium in Thailand cut the support rope for two painters, apparently angry she wasn't told they would be doing work, and left them hanging above the 26th floor until a couple rescued them, police said Wednesday. (See a photo here .) The woman is...
Thailand Urged Not to Deport
Transgender Beauty Tycoon
Sep 28, 2021 7:12 PM CDT
Thailand Urged Not to Deport Transgender Beauty Tycoon
Nur Sajat is wanted in Malaysia for 'insulting Islam'
- Authorities in Malaysia say they don't want to "punish" transgender businesswoman Nur Sajat, only to "educate" her. Advocates say the 36-year-old is likely to face serious mistreatment if Thailand deports her back to her homeland. Sajat, a cosmetics entrepreneur who starred in a reality show in 2018,...
Thai Man Lost Job, Said He
Killed Tourist for Her Money
Aug 9, 2021 3:35 PM CDT
Thai Man Lost Job, Said He Killed Tourist for Her Money
Thailand recently started allowing visitors to enter without quarantining
- Thailand wants tourists to come back, but a recent murder might make that a hard sell. A 27-year-old Thai man was charged Sunday in the death of a Swiss woman who was found dead near a waterfall in Phuket on Thursday. Nicole Sauvain-Weisskopf, 57, was found wearing only a shirt...
Player Sits Out
Toward Thai Team
Jun 10, 2021 4:40 PM CDT
Volleyball Player Sits Out After Gesture Toward Thai Team
Serbian player and foundation apologize
- A player on Serbia's national women's volleyball team will sit out her next two matches after making a racist gesture last week when playing Thailand. Sanja Djurdjevic will sit out when her team takes on Belgium and Canada as it prepares for the Tokyo Olympics, the BBC reports....
Thai Police Arrest
89 Foreigners for
Flouting COVID Rules
Jan 28, 2021 10:50 AM CST
Thai Police Arrest 89 Foreigners for Flouting COVID Rules
People from more than 10 countries arrested in raid on island bar
- Police and immigration officials raided a party at a bar on a popular resort island in southern Thailand and arrested 89 foreigners for violating coronavirus regulations, officials said Wednesday. The Tuesday night raid on the Three Sixty Bar on Koh Phangan also netted 22 Thais, including one identified as the...
the King. Now,
a Record 43-Year
Jan 20, 2021 9:54 AM CST
She Insulted the King. Now, a Record 43-Year Sentence
Thai ex-civil servant was originally supposed to get 87 years behind bars for violating lese-majeste law
- A court in Thailand on Tuesday sentenced a former civil servant to a record prison term of 43 years and six months for breaching the country's strict law on insulting or defaming the monarchy, lawyers said. The Bangkok Criminal Court found the woman guilty on 29 counts of violating...
Off-Duty Rescue Worker
Saves Baby Elephant
Dec 22, 2020 6:17 PM CST
Off-Duty Rescue Worker Saves Baby Elephant
He revived it with 10 minutes of CPR
- Using CPR to try to revive a road accident victim is nothing new for Thai rescue worker Mana Srivate—but the victims aren't usually elephants. Mana, who has been a rescue worker for 26 years, was off duty Sunday night when he arrived at the accident scene while on...
This Time It's
Dec 11, 2020 7:06 AM CST
Cher's Rescue Tour Continues. This Time It's a Gorilla
Star is begging for help to rehome Thailand's only gorilla from a department store zoo
- If you're thinking a department store zoo doesn't sound like a great place for a gorilla, Cher agrees. The singer, fresh off of her Pakistan trip to rescue the "world's loneliest elephant," is now making a plea to Thailand to free the country's last...
Here's What Iran Got for
Releasing an Australian
Nov 26, 2020 11:33 AM CST
Here's What Iran Got for Releasing an Australian
Thailand says it transferred home 3 men involved in botched 2012 bomb plot
- Thailand said Thursday it transferred three Iranians involved in a botched 2012 bomb plot back to Tehran, as Iran released an Australian academic who was imprisoned for more than two years on spying charges. While Thai officials declined to call it a swap and Iran referred to the men as...
Thailand: We Busted
$1B in Ketamine...
Oh, Wait a Second...
Nov 25, 2020 7:27 AM CST
Thailand: We Busted $1B in Ketamine... Oh, Wait a Second...
Turns out the cops busted a lot of trisodium phosphate
- Thailand's justice minister is walking back claims of the country's largest ever ketamine bust as it turns out the substance seized was actually an everyday product, appropriately labeled. About 475 bags of a white, granular substance were seized from a warehouse in Bang Pakong district, Chachoengsao province, on...
Hotel That Had American Jailed
Is Furious With Tripadvisor
Nov 11, 2020 12:48 PM CST
Hotel That Had American Jailed Is Furious With Tripadvisor
Sea View Resort and Spa given 'one-of-a-kind' warning label
- American Wesley Barnes was made to apologize for his unkind reviews of a Thai resort hotel so as to avoid years in jail . But if the Sea View Resort and Spa in Koh Chang celebrated a victory, it was premature. Now that charges have been dismissed and Barnes has left...
Thai Royal Motorcade Heckled
Oct 15, 2020 2:45 AM CDT
Consequences After Thai Royal Motorcade Heckled
Authorities declare strict new state of emergency for Bangkok
- Thai authorities declared a strict new state of emergency for the capital on Thursday, a day after a student-led protest against the country’s traditional establishment saw an extraordinary moment in which demonstrators heckled a royal motorcade. After the pre-dawn declaration, riot police moved in to clear out demonstrators who...
American Escapes Jail Time
After 'Stilted' Apology to Resort
Oct 9, 2020 11:23 AM CDT
American Escapes Jail Time After 'Stilted' Apology to Resort
Wesley Barnes had faced years behind bars for trashing Thai resort online, violating defamation law
- Looks like Wesley Barnes won't see jail time after all. The American living in Thailand had complained online , including on the Tripadvisor site, about the Sea View Koh Chang resort, airing grievances about his stay there over the "unfriendly staff" and accusing the resort of "modern-day slavery"...
Red Bull Heir
Oct 5, 2020 8:45 AM CDT
Interpol Issues Highest-Level Alert for Red Bull Heir
There's now a 'red notice' for Vorayuth Yoovidhya regarding charges over 2012 hit-and-run
- Last month, Thai officials warned they might tap into Interpol in their search for Vorayuth Yoovidhya, the Red Bull heir who fled the country in 2017 to avoid charges regarding a hit-and-run that left a Bangkok motorcycle cop dead. They've made good on that promise, per the
Tripadvisor Review Could
Land American in Jail
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Oct 3, 2020 2:00 PM CDT
Tripadvisor Review Could Land American in Jail
Thailand resort sues Wesley Barnes after he posts slams online
- Wesley Barnes did not enjoy his stay at the Sea View Resort in Thailand, as he made very clear in online reviews. Now the American faces two years in prison on defamation charges as a result, reports AFP . It appears the review that got Barnes into potentially deep trouble was...
That Plaque Didn't Last Long
Sep 21, 2020 1:54 AM CDT
That Plaque Didn't Last Long
Plaque re-installed by protesters in Thailand removed after less than a day
- A plaque honoring struggles for democracy in Thailand has been removed less than 24 hours after it was installed by anti-government protesters at a historic royal field in the capital, the AP reports. The plaque had been installed Sunday at Sanam Luang, the field where tens of thousands of people...
Protesters Replace a Plaque
That Vanished in 2017
Sep 20, 2020 9:17 AM CDT
Protesters Replace a Plaque That Vanished in 2017
Mass student-led rally in Thailand calls for reforms to the monarchy
- Anti-government demonstrators occupying a historic field in the Thai capital on Sunday installed a plaque symbolizing the country's transition to democracy to replace the original one that was mysteriously ripped out and stolen three years ago, as they vowed to press on with calls for new elections and reform...
Red Bull Heir Faces Charges,
If Police Can Find Him
Sep 18, 2020 12:00 PM CDT
Red Bull Heir Faces Charges, If Police Can Find Him
Vorayuth Yoovidhya faces new indictment over 2012 hit-and-run in Thailand
- Red Bull heir Vorayuth "Boss" Yoovidhya isn't free to return to Thailand after all. Two months after charges were dropped against the 38-year-old accused of killing a Bangkok motorcycle cop in a 2012 hit-and-run —a move critics called an example of impunity offered to the wealthy and...
National Park Mails
Trash Back to Tourists
Sep 18, 2020 9:46 AM CDT
National Park Mails Trash Back to Tourists
'You forget these things,' note to Thai campers says
- Some visitors to Thailand's beautiful Khao Yai National Park will be receiving a memento of their trip—all the trash they left behind. In a series of Facebook posts , Environment Minister Varawut Silpa-archa slammed campers who left garbage strewn around a campsite over the weekend and said officials should...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Offer From Germany Leaves Mayor in Ukraine 'Speechless'
After 24-Hour Treatment, Frogs Started Regrowing Lost Limbs
Mayor's Brother Sees Salary Cut From $210K to $1
Buffalo Bills Have Fans Arrested Over Their Vaccine Cards
Gunfire Hits Cori Bush's Car
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.