Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Gulf of Mexico
Stories 1 - 20 |
Woman, Child Killed When
Plane Crashes in Gulf of Mexico
Dec 5, 2022 2:23 AM CST
Woman, Child Killed When Plane Crashes in Gulf of Mexico
Police are searching for 3rd person believed to have been on private plane
- A private airplane crashed into the Gulf of Mexico off the Florida coast Saturday night, with two people, including a child, confirmed dead as authorities searched for a third person believed to have been on the flight, police said. Authorities in Venice, Florida, initiated a search Sunday after 10am following...
Cruise Survivor Can't
Say How He Fell
Into the Gulf
Dec 2, 2022 5:10 PM CST
Cruise Survivor Can't Say How He Fell Into the Gulf
Survivor kept treading water because he didn't accept it was the end of the line
- James Michael Grimes remembers having drinks at a bar on the Carnival Valor with his sister the night before Thanksgiving. The next thing he knew, he was treading water in the Gulf of Mexico after regaining consciousness, with no memory of how he got there, CNN reports. "I came...
Cruise Passenger Found in
Gulf Was Seconds From Death
Nov 30, 2022 9:36 AM CST
Cruise Passenger Found in Gulf Was Seconds From Death
'The survivor had about 30 seconds to a minute left'
- One of the US Coast Guard officers who helped rescue the Carnival cruise ship passenger who went overboard last Wednesday night says the 28-year-old was moments from death when he was pulled from the water. Richard Hoefle tells CBS News he estimates "the survivor had about 30 seconds to...
Only Whaler Known to Go Down
in Gulf Found 190 Years Later
Mar 23, 2022 2:31 PM CDT
Only Whaler Known to Go Down in Gulf Found 190 Years Later
Find sheds light on 'how people of color succeeded as captains and crew members'
- Roughly 15 years before Herman Melville introduced the world to Moby Dick, a whaling ship from Massachusetts sank near the mouth of the Mississippi River. Nearly 190 years later, experts say, it’s still the only whaler known to have gone down in the Gulf of Mexico, where the threat...
For US Gulf Coast,
a Dire Warning
Mar 3, 2022 1:34 PM CST
For US Gulf Coast, a Dire Warning
UN report forecasts severe climate trouble in the coming years
- Hurricane Harvey dumped more than 50 inches of rain on parts of the Texas coast in 2017. Then in 2020, ferocious winds from Hurricane Laura destroyed homes across coastal Louisiana. Hurricane Ida hit in 2021, leaving the entire city of New Orleans without power for days. Such extreme weather is...
Judge Hands Green Advocates
Big Win on Offshore Drilling
Jan 28, 2022 1:00 AM CST
Judge Hands Green Advocates Big Win on Offshore Drilling
Scraps White House plan to sell oil and gas leases in Gulf of Mexico
- A federal court has rejected a plan to lease millions of acres in the Gulf of Mexico for offshore oil drilling, saying the Biden administration did not adequately take into account the lease sale's effect on planet-warming greenhouse gas emissions, per the AP . The decision Thursday by US District...
The Oil Started Spilling in 2004.
The Feds Finally Studied It
Dec 23, 2021 12:31 AM CST
The Oil Started Spilling in 2004. The Feds Finally Studied It
And now Taylor Energy is paying $43M
Taylor Energy will pay $43 million in civil penalties and damages over the longest-running oil spill in US history. The Department of Justice on Wednesday announced the settlement with the Louisiana-based company, which ceased production in 2008, the
New York Times
reports. Oil and gas has been seeping into...
Divers ID Source
of 'Miles-Long' Oil
Slick in Gulf
Sep 6, 2021 11:30 AM CDT
Divers ID Source of 'Miles-Long' Oil Slick in Gulf
No one knows yet, though, who the broken pipeline belongs to
- Divers at the site of an ongoing oil spill that appeared in the Gulf of Mexico after Hurricane Ida have identified the apparent source as a 1-foot-diameter pipeline displaced from a trench on the ocean floor and broken open. Talos Energy, the Houston-based company currently paying for the cleanup, said...
In Ida's Wake,
100 Say They're
Sep 1, 2021 10:06 AM CDT
In Ida's Wake, 100 Say They're Stranded Aboard Ship
Crew endured 80-foot waves as hurricane passed by
- More than 100 men on a drill ship in the Gulf of Mexico say they endured 80-foot waves as Hurricane Ida passed by and are now stranded, with no clue when they'll be rescued. The crew aboard Noble Corporation's
drill ship, about 100 miles off Louisiana,...
'Portal to Hell'
Gulf of Mexico
Jul 3, 2021 7:30 AM CDT
'Portal to Hell' Emerges in Gulf of Mexico
Blaze caused by Mexican state oil company's gas leak is now out, but not before internet frenzy
- If you happened to see "Sauron's eye " or "Cthulhu" trending Friday evening, it wasn't because some fictional entity was making headlines. It was something even more real and disturbing— a fire in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico, caused by a leak from an...
SpaceX Crew Makes
Safe, Rare Splashdown
May 2, 2021 10:00 AM CDT
SpaceX Crew Makes Safe, Rare Splashdown
4 astronauts are back after record-setting stay at International Space Station
- A four-member SpaceX crew returning from the International Space Station made a piloted landing in the Gulf of Mexico early Sunday, the first such nighttime landing in almost 54 years. After the gentle water landing just before 3am, aided by four parachutes, the Resilience capsule was lifted onto a recovery...
Search Ends With
8 Still Missing From
Apr 20, 2021 12:01 AM CDT
Search Ends With 8 Still Missing From Capsized Boat
Investigation into Seacor Power tragedy could take up to 2 years
- The search for survivors from a capsized lift boat in the Gulf of Mexico has closed and attention now turns to comforting the loved ones of the five known dead and eight missing, a grim hunt for bodies and a painstaking investigation that could take up to two years. Seven...
Marco Is a Hurricane,
and It's Not Alone
Aug 23, 2020 1:30 PM CDT
Marco Is a Hurricane, and It's Not Alone
Tropical Storm Laura is also headed for the US coast
- Marco became a hurricane over the Gulf of Mexico Sunday on a path toward the Louisiana coast. Tropical Storm Laura battered the Dominican Republic and Haiti and headed to the same part of the US coast, also as a potential hurricane, the AP reports. It would be the first time...
SpaceX Capsule Hits Water
Aug 2, 2020 1:40 PM CDT
SpaceX Capsule Hits Water
NASA astronauts make first aquatic landing since 1975
- Two NASA astronauts returned to Earth on Sunday in a dramatic, retro-style splashdown, their capsule parachuting into the Gulf of Mexico to close out an unprecedented test flight by Elon Musk's SpaceX company, the AP reports. It was the first splashdown by US astronauts in 45 years, with the...
Bad News for Huckabee
on His Private Beach
Apr 15, 2020 12:40 AM CDT
Bad News for Huckabee on His Private Beach
Emergency motion denied, and judge signals lawsuit won't fare much better
- Mike Huckabee still can't go to the beach. The former Arkansas governor and other owners of beachfront property near Pensacola, Florida, sued for access to their private beaches , but on Monday, a federal judge denied their emergency motion, NBC News reports. It would have exempted the plaintiffs from the...
Gulf Oil Spill Was
Than We Thought
Feb 13, 2020 11:44 AM CST
Gulf Oil Spill Was Bigger, Badder Than We Thought
Satellite imagery couldn't detect toxic oil beneath ocean surface: researchers
- The Deepwater Horizon spill was worse than thought, thanks to "invisible and toxic oil," say researchers. Ahead of the 10th anniversary of the Gulf of Mexico disaster, a study out of the University of Miami suggests the spread of the spill was 30% larger than satellite data indicated,...
Scientists Can't Predict
Barry's Lasting Damage
Jul 14, 2019 9:48 AM CDT
Scientists Can't Predict Barry's Lasting Damage
Region faces rare confluence of events
- Hurricane Barry could affect the environment of the Gulf coast and Lower Mississippi Valley in numerous ways, from accelerating runoff of farmland nutrients to toppling trees and damaging wildlife habitat and fisheries, scientists say. But the extent of the damage—and whether it will be at least partially offset by...
Dolphins Dying in Unusually
High Numbers in US
Jun 17, 2019 12:32 PM CDT
Dolphins Dying in Unusually High Numbers in US
More than 260, three times the normal amount in states bordering Gulf of Mexico
- It is, in the jargon of the NOAA , an "unusual mortality event" (UME). The government-ese refers to the deaths of more than 260 bottlenose dolphins since February in states bordering the Gulf of Mexico. While stranding deaths occur every year, the numbers this year are three times higher than...
Cruise Ship Rescues
23 Adrift for Days
in Gulf of Mexico
Apr 15, 2019 12:32 AM CDT
Cruise Ship Rescues 23 Adrift for Days in Gulf of Mexico
22 left Cuba in a wooden boat
- The US Coast Guard says it worked with a cruise ship to rescue 23 people adrift for days in the Gulf of Mexico. A Coast Guard statement issued Sunday says 22 Cubans started traveling on a wooden boat from Cuba to Mexico before losing power and drifting three days. A...
A Huge BP Find:
1B Barrels of Crude
Jan 9, 2019 12:40 PM CST
A Huge BP Find: 1B Barrels of Crude
Besides the oil find, company is also investing $1.3B in a new expansion process
- BP is investing a lot more money into the Gulf of Mexico, and into cutting-edge technology overall—and it looks like that investment is already paying off. CNBC and Reuters report the company just discovered two new oil fields, plus 1 billion barrels of crude oil at its existing Thunder...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
The 'Iconic' Kirstie Alley Is Dead at 71
Cancer That Kirstie Alley Battled Is Specified
Here's How Things Look Ahead of Georgia's Runoff
Trump Hid a Big Loan While President: Forbes
You Can Keep Procrastinating on That Real ID
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.