If you want your seed of genius to grow, plant it in the right soil. CNNMoney finds the most small-business-friendly states:
- South Dakota: No tax personal income, capital gains, corporate income, or corporate capital gains and low energy costs.
- Nevada: No income, capital gains, corporate income, or corporate capital gains tax and some of the country's lowest property taxes.
- Wyoming: Low energy costs and no personal income, capital gains, corporate income, or corporate capital gains tax.
- Washington: Low taxes and electricity costs.
- Florida: No personal, capital gains, or death taxes.
- Michigan: Low taxes all round with the exception of onerous property taxes.
- Texas: No personal or capital gains taxes, and low corporate income and corporate capital gains taxes.
- South Carolina: Personal income tax is high, but other taxes, electricity and gas are low.
- Virginia: Proximity to the federal government, highly educated and affluent households, and a great policy climate.
- Alabama: Low taxes across the board.
(Read more South Dakota