Junior Seau’s death is just the latest tragedy in the sad history of the 1994 San Diego Chargers. That team—the only Chargers team to make it to the Super Bowl—has seen seven other deaths. CNN has the rundown:
- 1995: Linebacker David Griggs, 28, dies in a car crash.
- 1996: Running back Rodney Culver, 26, dies in a plane crash.
- 1998: Linebacker Doug Miller, 28, dies after being struck by lightning.
- 2008: Center Curtis Whitley, 39, dies of a drug overdose.
- 2008: Defensive end Chris Mims, 38, dies of complications from an enlarged heart.
- 2011: Defensive tackle Shawn Lee, 44, dies of a heart attack.
- 2011: Linebacker Lew Bush, 42, dies of a heart attack.
Bobby Ross, who coached the 1994 Chargers, has called Seau, 43, the heart and soul of the team. "Junior, to me, was the epitome of what a football player was," he says. "Tremendous team player. Tremendous leader. Tremendous leader on our football team." One columnist believes Seau's death might finally convince us
to pay more attention to NFL head injuries. (Read more Junior Seau