Want to be a fabulously wealthy author? Loosen up those fingers. The route to riches seems to be with a series of related books rather than a one-off blockbluster. Forbes rounds up the top 10 highest-earning authors from June 2012 to June 2013. The top five:
- EL James, $95 million: Her three Fifty Shades of Grey books are the only books she's written (so far).
- James Patterson, $91 million: How's this for a stat: "One of every 17 hardcovers sold in the US is his," says Forbes. That includes adult thrillers as well as books for young adults.
- Suzanne Collins, $55 million: The Hunger Games has been her gold mine.
- Bill O'Reilly, $28 million: The Fox host's non-fiction books Killing Lincoln and Killing Kennedy were best-sellers; next up: Killing Jesus.
- Danielle Steel, $26 million: She's reaping the rewards of a four-decade career.
Click for the full list
, which includes the Diary of a Wimpy Kid
author and a certain well-known horror writer. (Read more EL James