It looks like Superstorm Sandy had one last kick to the stomach to give New Jersey. Investigators say faulty wiring probably caused last week's devastating boardwalk fire—and it was faulty because it had been exposed to salt water thanks to Sandy, reports the Star-Ledger. The conclusion is more of a best guess than a certainty, but investigators say anyone with property damaged near the coast should pay heed, reports AP.
"I'm sure on every boardwalk everywhere (at the Jersey shore), there may be compromised wiring," says an Ocean County official. "We don't want to start a panic mode. We just want to be reasonable. If you're a property owner and you think your electrical work came in contact with water and sand, we strongly recommend you have it inspected." (Read more Hurricane Sandy stories.)