Sir Paul Denies Heart Surgery

On website, former Beatle says ticker tests, not angioplasty, was the call
By Caroline Zimmerman,  Newser Staff
Posted Jan 31, 2008 4:00 PM CST
Sir Paul Denies Heart Surgery
Paul McCartney gestures as he leaves the High Court in London, in this, March 1, 2007, file photo. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, file)   (Associated Press)

(Newser) – Sir Paul McCartney has publicly denied claims that he was hospitalized for heart surgery, NME reports. Earlier this month, the Sun reported that the legendary former Beatle had undergone a coronary angioplasty. But today, McCartney reassured fans and friends on his website that he had simply been tested for a "minor irregularity," and that he was in fine health.

An anonymous source told the Sun that McCartney's alleged surgery was "routine, but any work on your heart is a big deal." After a flood of concerned calls and texts, it was "time to put this rumour to rest," McCartney writes. But the false report had its upside: "I've secretly been enjoying all the sympathy," he claims. (Read more Paul McCartney stories.)

We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.
Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
X
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.

X