An unusual element made this week's list of weird crimes: deer carcasses:
- 41 Charged in Massive Deer Collision Insurance Scam: Insurance companies must have thought deer were overrunning the city of Philadelphia based on the number of accidents being reported. Turns out, those "accidents" were the work of a criminally imaginative body shop owner, say prosecutors. How far did 63-year-old Ron Galati allegedly take his scheme? He kept deer blood and carcasses at his shop, says the DA.
- How an 89-Year-Old Widow Fended Off Robber: Strange enough that a would-be robber of a small-town store in Washington state used a sword as his weapon of choice and a bicycle as his getaway vehicle. But what truly elevates the story is that the store's owner, an 89-year-old widow, just wasn't having it.
- Cops: Man Holds Breath, Causes 3-Car Crash: Police say a 19-year-old man caused a three-car crash when he fainted while holding his breath as he drove through a tunnel near Portland, Oregon. It's not clear why he was holding his breath, but the best guess is that it was part of a game or a superstition.
- Guy Says He's Jared Leto's Stylist, Tricks Top Shops: A pricey New York menswear shop generally asks for ID when phone orders are picked up. If you're a celebrity's assistant, however, you can sometimes get by without getting carded. Or, apparently, if you just pretend to be a celebrity's assistant.
- Cops: Woman Breaks Into Shelter to Get Cats Back: A Wisconsin woman lost her 17 cats to a Humane Society shelter after her unsanitary apartment was condemned earlier this month. Police say Lee Ann Shore, 46, broke into that shelter to steal her cats back—but that's not all she allegedly took.
Click to read about more weird crimes
, including one involving a lasso
. (Read more weird crimes