Sterling: Clippers Sale Is Off

'I must fight to protect my rights,' he says
By Rob Quinn,  Newser Staff
Posted Jun 10, 2014 12:33 AM CDT
Sterling: Clippers Sale is Off
Sterling has "unsold his club several times over the years," NBA Commissioner Adam Silver noted during an interview yesterday.   (AP Photo/Kathy Willens, File)

(Newser) – Looks like Donald Sterling has decided he wants a fight after all. The $2 billion sale of the Los Angeles Clippers he agreed to last week is off and his $1 billion lawsuit against the NBA is back on, Sterling's lawyer tells ESPN. "I have decided that I must fight to protect my rights," Sterling said in a letter yesterday. "While my position may not be popular, I believe that my rights to privacy and the preservation of my rights to due process should not be trampled." His lawyer declined to comment on whether the U-turn was the result of the NBA refusing to drop the lifetime ban and $2.5 million fine it levied over racist remarks made by the owner.

After first agreeing to sell the team to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer, Sterling said he was ready to move on and felt "fabulous," but in yesterday's letter, he said he never wanted to sell the team and the NBA's actions constitute "a violation of my rights and fly in the face of the freedoms that are afforded to all Americans." Sterling's wife, Shelly, finalized the sale as sole trustee after Sterling was declared mentally unfit, and insiders say the owner's erratic stance on selling the team could be presented in court as further evidence of unfitness, reports the Los Angeles Times. (Read more Donald Sterling stories.)

We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.
Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
X
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.

X