City officials in Reims say one of the terrorists responsible for attacks last week that killed 17 people was buried in the eastern French city over their objections and despite concerns that the grave could become a shrine for extremists. Said Kouachi, the elder of the two brothers who gunned down 12 people Jan. 7 in their attack on the satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo, was buried at the demand of the French government, said officials in Reims. "He was buried last night, in the most discrete, anonymous way possible," said Mayor Arnaud Robinet in an interview on French television channel BFM TV. Robinet said he didn't know where Kouachi was buried in the cemetery, which he didn't identify. The BBC reports that the grave is unmarked.
Earlier in the week, Robinet declared he would "categorically refuse" a request by Kouachi's family to bury him in Reims, about 90 miles east of Paris, where he lived before police killed him and his brother. "I don't want a grave that serves to attract fanatics," Robinet said on France Info radio. Speaking today, Robinet said he'd been forced to allow the burial by the government, which enforced a French law that grants a right to be buried in the town of last residence. Two others await burial: Cherif Kouachi will be buried in his hometown of Gennevilliers, outside Paris, but there has been no word on burial plans for Amedy Coulibaly, who killed hostages at a kosher market. (Read more Said Kouachi stories.)