Girl, 11, Dies After Choking on Marshmallow at Birthday Party

She was unconscious for nearly a week
By Michael Harthorne,  Newser Staff
Posted Apr 22, 2016 4:53 PM CDT
Girl, 11, Dies After Choking on Marshmallow at Birthday Party

An 11-year-old Massachusetts girl died early Friday after choking on a marshmallow at a friend's birthday party, NBC 10 News reports. According to WCVB, Iris Estabrooks dropped off her daughter Azriel at the party in Somerset last Saturday. An hour later, she got a call that Azriel was unconscious. A number of party guests performed CPR on the girl before she was transported to the hospital, where a large marshmallow was found lodged in her throat. Azriel died without ever regaining consciousness. She had hit her head when she passed out, severely injuring her head, WPXI reports.

Estabrooks blames the party's hosts for her daughter's death, claiming they were negligent in not keeping an eye on Azriel. "They didn’t find her in time," she tells WCVB. "Someone didn't realize she was choking on a marshmallow. She was already on the floor passed out by the time anyone found her." Doctors believe oxygen had already been cut off to Azriel's brain before any aid was given. Estabrooks told NBC 10 News on Wednesday that the hosts of the party never called to check on Azriel while she was in the hospital. Azriel's family has set up a GoFundMe page to raise money for her funeral. "The family is grieving the loss of their beautiful little girl," the page states. "She will always be with them in their hearts and watching over them and especially her younger brother and sister." (A man was arrested after a small octopus was found stuck in a 2-year-old's throat.)

Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.