A 91-year-old who lived life to the fullest and a 4-year-old who cheered up two hockey players make this week's list:
- 91-Year-Old Who Took Her Cancer on a Year's Adventure Dies: Just two days before her husband of 67 years died, Norma Jean Bauerschmidt was diagnosed with stage 4 uterine cancer. With the end in sight, the Michigan woman was told her two options were to have surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation, or to enter a nursing home where she'd receive end-of-life care. But Bauerschmidt decided on a third option, and it gave her "a new lease on life."
- Young Red Wings Fan Gets Photobombed From Penalty Box: Smiles are a rare sight for the hockey penalty box, but at a recent preseason game, two of the Detroit Red Wings were indeed smiling while photobombing a 4-year-old fan in a must-see picture.
- Town Rallies, Finds Toddler Lost in Cornfield for 20 Hours: Dyton Logalbo, 3, was playing outside near his home Saturday when his mom saw him wandering into the cornfield north of Antigo, Wis. She couldn't find him on her own. But, though he was missing 20 hours and the stalks reached 7-feet high, 500 locals came together to ensure a happy ending.
- Man Runs 401 Marathons to Help Bullied LGBT Kids: Ben Smith overcame years of bullying, depression, and two suicide attempts, so running 401 marathons in 401 days was no sweat. Along the way he spoke to more than 100 schools about bullying, sexuality, and mental health while raising more than $315,000 for charities who help kids bullied because of their sexuality. And he did it all despite a major setback along the way.
- Beached Whale Free After Calf Seen Nudging Her: Workers in Australia's Queensland Parks and Wildlife Services were responding to help an adult whale beached on a sandbar but found that she had managed to free herself before they got there. The incoming tide surely helped, but both the BBC and Australia's ABC report that her young calf appeared to be doing something extraordinary, too.
Click to read about more uplifting news
. (Read more uplifting news