"I think we hit a home run," President Trump told a crowd of US service members at an Italian military base on Saturday as he wrapped up his whirlwind first trip abroad. "Maybe I'll stay down with you and celebrate together," he joked, per CNN, which notes that Trump called the trip "tremendously productive," "historic," and said of his peers on the world stage that "we made a lot of good friends this week." Air Force One touched down on US soil at 9pm Saturday night carrying the president and first lady, and the New York Times details some of the crises awaiting his attention, in particular reports that son-in-law Jared Kushner was in contact with Russians during the campaign. A look around the assessments of the trip:
- CNN compiles video highlights from the trip.
- The Washington Post calls him "alternately charming and boorish," but calls it "the role of a lifetime" for Trump.
- The AP delves into the disparity between the optics and imagery of the trip, which were conventional, and the rhetoric, which was not.
- The Hill has five takeaways from the trip, including the lecture he gave NATO.
- Politico also have five takeaways, and notes that the president seems more comfortable in one-on-one exchanges than in large summits.
(Read more President Trump