About an hour after his press conference Thursday morning with Polish President Andrzej Duda, President Trump headed over to Warsaw's Krasinski Square, where what the New York Times calls a "pro-Duda crowd" showed off their Polish and American flags and confronted reporters with cries of "fake news" (one of the themes in the earlier presser). "Poland will prevail," Trump assured his audience, referring to his host nation's long history of strife, occupation, and invasion. "Poland will always prevail." Other notable Trump quotes, per the Times, CBS News, the Washington Post, the BBC, and ABC News:
- More praise for Poland: "The triumph of the Polish spirit over centuries of hardship gives us all hope in which good conquers evil and peace achieves victory over war."
- On the future of the Western world: "The fundamental question of our time is whether the West has the will to survive. Do we have the confidence in our values to defend them at any cost? … I declare today for the world to hear the West will never, ever be broken, our values will prevail, our people will thrive, and our civilization will triumph."
- On cutting through government red tape: "On both sides of the Atlantic, our citizens are confronted by yet another danger, one firmly within our control … the steady creep of government bureaucracy that drains the vitality and wealth of the people."
- On Russia: "We urge Russia to cease its destabilizing activities in Ukraine and elsewhere, and its support for hostile regimes including Syria and Iran, and to join the community of responsible nations in our fight against common enemies and in defense of civilization itself."
- First lady Melania Trump, who also spoke: "People should be able to lead their lives without fear no matter what country they live in. That is my wish for all of us around the world."
(Read more President Trump