Teen Electrocuted While Using Cellphone in Bath

Madison Coe was 14
By Kate Seamons,  Newser Staff
Posted Jul 11, 2017 10:30 AM CDT
Teen Electrocuted While Using Cellphone in Bath
Madison Coe.   (GoFundMe)

A cautionary tale out of Lovington, NM, where a 14-year-old girl died while using her cellphone in the bathtub. KCBD reports it's unclear exactly how Madison Coe was electrocuted: It may have occurred as she was plugging the phone into a bathroom outlet or in the course of reaching for her plugged-in phone. Some reports, including the Houston Chronicle's, suggest the phone may have fallen in the tub in the process.

"There was a burn mark on her hand, the hand that would have grabbed the phone," says her grandmother, Donna O'Guinn. "And that was just very obvious that that’s what had happened." The rising freshman was to attend school this fall in Houston, where her family was moving. The family is now trying to spread awareness of the potentially fatal dangers of electrocution on Facebook. "We need to teach our children that electricity and water do not mix," says O'Guinn. A GoFundMe campaign to raise funds for medical and memorial costs has raised $6,000 as of this writing. (This teen was electrocuted after jumping in a lake.)

Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.