Another loss for Alex Jones: The Infowars host must sit for a five-hour deposition by lawyers representing the families of Sandy Hook victims, who allege defamation over his claims that the 2012 school shooting in Newtown, Conn., was a hoax. Bridgeport Superior Court Judge Barbara Bellis issued the blow on Wednesday while ruling that three other figures "critical to Infowars' business operations" could be deposed for up to 14 hours combined, CNN reports. The families are "entitled to conduct discovery likely to lead to admissible evidence for the purposes of opposing the motions to dismiss," Bellis said, per the Hartford Courant.
"It is far beyond time that [Jones] be held accountable for the pain his false narratives have caused so many and [this] ruling brings us one step closer to doing that," says Mark Barden, whose son died in the shooting, per CNN. The suit argues Jones worked with others "to create and propagate loathsome, false narratives about the Sandy Hook shooting and its victims, and promote their harassment and abuse," with the goal to "make money." Jones' lawyer, Jay Wolman, has filed a motion to dismiss, arguing his client is protected under the First Amendment. (Jones was ordered to turn over internal documents last month.)