A Parkland shooting survivor says Harvard has rescinded his acceptance over racist remarks he made a couple of years ago, the BBC reports. Kyle Kashuv, an 18-year-old Republican and gun-rights advocate, said Tuesday the university took back its offer after discovering his nearly two-year-old texts and comments. In a thirteen-tweet thread, Kashuv says he made the comments "to be as extreme and shocking as possible" and recently issued an apology. Kashuv says in the apology that he was "embarrassed" by his words and saw "the world through different eyes" after the 2018 Florida shooting that left 17 students and staff members dead and injured 17 others. "I can and will do better moving forward," he adds.
Kashuv also sent apologies to Harvard, but the school wrote him earlier this month saying the Admissions Committee rescinded his admission after considering his "maturity and moral character." HuffPo has dug up a couple of Kashuv's offending remarks, including a Google doc in which he repeats the N-word eleven times—misspelling it twice—and adds, "like im really good at typing n----- ok like practice uhhhhhh makes perfect," as well as a text in which he says a female student "goes for n-----jocks." A former student says "everyone" knew Kashuv "as the vulgar kid that says stuff like that." Kashuv claims he gave up "huge scholarships" to get into Harvard and the deadline for those colleges has passed. (Alleged racism played a huge role in this $44 million decision.)