This election has been all about image—not just for the candidates, but for media personalities who have jumped into the fray. Scott Collins chooses its biggest success stories and failures in the Los Angeles Times:
- Rachel Maddow, MSNBC's new commentator, is brainy, funny, and capable.
- John King, CNN’s "Magic Map" guy, is a demographics whiz.
- Charlie Gibson of ABC took a beating over a “featherweight” Democratic debate.
- Elizabeth Hasselbeck, The View’s lone conservative, has become an “Oprah for the Weekly Standard crowd.”
- Katie Couric's chat with Sarah Palin was “the year’s interview coup.”
- Chuck Norris began the year calling John McCain too old for the presidency; now he backs him.
- David Letterman took the spotlight when he slammed McCain for ditching his show.
- Tina Fey. For obvious reasons.
(Read more American media