No More Free News Online: Murdoch

Mogul steps up plans to charge for all News Corp's web offerings
By Rob Quinn,  Newser Staff
Posted Aug 6, 2009 2:17 AM CDT
No More Free News Online: Murdoch
News Corporation chairman Rupert Murdoch addresses a press conference in Mumbai.   (AP Photo/Rajanish Kakade)

(Newser) – Rupert Murdoch says the days of News Corp.'s giving away news from its newspapers and TV stations on the Internet are numbered, the Financial Times reports. Murdoch, who earlier this year said he planned to test pay-to-read models, now says he plans to start charging for access to all news sites in his media empire. The mogul says the success of the Wall Street Journal's subscription plan proves consumers are willing to pay for quality content.

"The digital revolution has opened many new and inexpensive distribution channels but it has not made content free," said Murdoch, whose company posted a $3.4 billion loss for the year to June yesterday. Murdoch acknowledged that News Corp. will face stiff competition from outlets offering free online news, but he predicted other media outlets would soon follow his lead. "Our policy is to win," he said.
(Read more News Corp stories.)

Get breaking news in your inbox.
What you need to know, as soon as we know it.
Sign up
We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.
Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
X
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.

X