Michelle Obama today unveiled the findings of her childhood obesity task force, laying out a “road map” to healthier kids. “For the first time, the nation will have goals, benchmarks, and measurable outcomes that will help us tackle the childhood obesity epidemic,” she declared, and if we meet those goals, “we will reverse a 30-year trend.” Right now, about one in every three kids is obese, but Obama thinks we can reduce that to 5% by 2030, reports ABC News.
The report lays out 70 recommendations, including:
- Improving prenatal care for parents and providing “support for breastfeeding.”
- Improving nutrition labels on food and in menus, and reducing the marketing of unhealthy products to kids.
- Providing healthier food in schools.
- Lowering the price of healthy food.
- Encouraging exercise, and improving access to playgrounds and recreational facilities.
(Read more Michelle Obama