Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
She Ran a Marathon Every
Day Until She Caught COVID
Nov 15, 2021 6:40 PM CST
She Ran a Marathon Every Day Until She Caught COVID
Alyssa Clark ran 26.2 miles every day for 95 days
- Like a lot of people, Alyssa Clark needed a quarantine project. And, as she wound up the project, she "just felt like running." Her husband is in the military and stationed in Naples, Italy, so she started running on a treadmill indoors while there. She had been training...
One in 8
Started the Race
Ended Up Dying
Oct 17, 2021 10:55 AM CDT
One in 8 Runners Who Started the Race Ended Up Dying
The 'WSJ' digs into the deadly ultramarathon in China
- Running 60 miles would feel like death for most of us. For 21 runners in China, it actually was deadly . Writing for the
Wall Street Journal
, Wenxin Fan takes a deep dive into just what went wrong during the May 22 ultramarathon , which saw 172 runners set off at 9am—...
I Was So Hungry
I Stole Food
Oct 13, 2021 11:31 AM CDT
Runner Sues Coach, Nike: I Was So Hungry I Stole Food
Mary Cain says she was so underfed she stole Clif Bars
- In 2015, Newser summarized a
New York Times Magazine
profile of Mary Cain. Our headline: " This Teen Runner May Be the Best Ever, Someday ." That's not what happened, and now Cain is suing. On Monday, the now-25-year-old filed a $20 million lawsuit against her former distance running...
My Stalker Posted
He Was Coming
to Kill Me
Jul 31, 2021 4:00 PM CDT
Olympic Runner: My Stalker Posted He Was Coming to Kill Me
Inside Emily Infeld's chilling ordeal
- Emily Infeld competed in the 2016 Olympics; she failed to qualify to run the 10,000 meters in Tokyo. What transpired during the years between the two Games is the subject of a lengthy and at times chilling piece for ESPN —she was stalked. Infeld, a bronze medalist at...
Mass Runs Resume
Jul 24, 2021 1:50 PM CDT
Mass Runs Resume
Before the pandemic, hundreds of thousands were joining inclusive event that began in England
- After 16 months of solo jogging, Saturday's return of the weekly 5-kilometer mass runs in England's parks was met with widespread jubilation. Days after all remaining lockdown restrictions were lifted in England, the organized 5K runs were allowed to resume for the first time since the pandemic struck...
She Decided to Exit 2020
by Running—for 24 Hours
Jan 6, 2021 11:20 AM CST
She Decided to Exit 2020 by Running—for 24 Hours
Jen A. Miller describes a day spent running, walking, sleeping in misery and joy
- However you welcomed 2021, it almost certainly wasn't like Jen A. Miller did: by running and walking. For 24 hours. In a piece for the
New York Times
, Miller explains that she signed up for the Hainesport Hundred and 24 Hour Endurance Run in Hainesport Township, NJ, "because...
High School Runner's
Sweet Move Is Praised
Nov 3, 2020 12:55 PM CST
High School Runner's Sweet Move Is Praised
Ben Boardley of Indianapolis helps a fallen rival to the finish line
- A classy move by a high school runner is getting some national attention. As the
reports, it happened Saturday during a state cross-country meet in Terre Haute. As Ben Boardley approached the finish line, he noticed a fellow runner from another school, Faizan Khan, had fallen and was...
Gives Up on the Spring
Oct 29, 2020 9:40 AM CDT
Boston Marathon Gives Up on the Spring
Organizers hope it will happen in fall 2021
- This year, Boston Marathon organizers postponed the event until the fall before deciding to cancel the race for the first time in its 124-year history and replace it with a virtual event. Organizers say they hope to hold the race again in 2021, but the traditional date of the third...
Sep 1, 2020 11:22 AM CDT
Runners Should Stop Focusing on Mileage
Researchers say it presents an incomplete picture in terms of injury risk and training
- GPS devices make it easier than ever for runners to gauge that all-important number: the number of miles clocked. But in a new paper , researchers make the case that tracking mileage by itself presents too misleading of a picture. To better prevent injury and to improve training, runners need to...
That 6-Foot Rule May Not
Work for Runners
Apr 16, 2020 4:05 PM CDT
That 6-Foot Rule May Not Work for Runners
Studies suggest respiratory droplets travel much farther
- The 6 feet of separation touted by the CDC might not be enough to prevent the spread of the coronavirus, particularly among runners. A new study described in the
New York Times
suggests air carries respiratory droplets up to 30 feet behind runners and up to 15 feet behind fast...
He Broke the 2-Hour Marathon
'Barrier.' How? There's No Secret
Apr 5, 2020 12:20 PM CDT
He Broke the 2-Hour Marathon 'Barrier.' How? There's No Secret
Eliud Kipchoge did what many believed couldn't be done
- For decades, it was believed to be impossible to run a marathon in less than two hours. Then, in October, Eliud Kipchoge became the first person to do it. How? Knox Robinson spent time with Kipchoge at his rural training camp in Kenya, and in an extensive piece for
Britney Spears Causes
Confusion With Running Claim
Mar 27, 2020 6:29 AM CDT
Britney Spears Causes Confusion With Running Claim
She later clarified she was joking
- The world's fastest land mammal is the cheetah, but Britney Spears is a very close second, according to Britney Spears. The singer caused quite a bit of confusion on Instagram Wednesday when she claimed to have run the 100-meter dash in less than six seconds, smashing Usain Bolt's...
More Nike Athletes Speak
Out on Weight 'Obsession'
Nov 8, 2019 9:10 AM CST
More Nike Athletes Speak Out on Weight 'Obsession'
Amy Yoder Begley says she was told she had 'the biggest butt on the starting line'
- Nike says it had no prior knowledge of elite runner Mary Cain's claims that she developed osteoporosis, broke five bones, missed her period for three years, and began having suicidal thoughts as Oregon Project coach Alberto Salazar pushed her to lose weight, per the
. But it says it...
'Triathlete' Suspect Flees
by Foot, Bike, and Water
Nov 2, 2019 9:30 AM CDT
'Triathlete' Suspect Flees by Foot, Bike, and Water
But Gary Francis Molloy was eventually caught
- Can't catch this guy—until you can. That might be the lesson after Gary Francis Molloy fled Florida sheriff's deputies last week by biking, running, and swimming, MSN reports. It began when a deputy spotted identified the cyclist in Lane Hill on Oct. 24 as a wanted felony...
He Just Did What No Runner
Has Ever Done Before
Oct 12, 2019 7:30 AM CDT
He Just Did What No Runner Has Ever Done Before
'I am the happiest man,' says Eliud Kipchoge, the first person to run marathon in under 2 hours
- With 20 seconds to spare, Eliud Kipchoge has just done what elite marathon runners have tried to do for years. "I am the happiest man," the Kenyan athlete said Saturday in Austria after completing Vienna's Prater Park marathon in less than two hours—1 hour, 59 minutes,...
Now, a Coaching
Oct 2, 2019 8:05 AM CDT
Athletes With 'Courage' Talked. Now, a Coaching Legend Banned
Alberto Salazar booted from track and field for 4 years over Nike-bankrolled doping experiments
- Alberto Salazar was so excited in 2011 about the performance-enhancing supplement L-carnitine that he sent an email to none other than Lance Armstrong. "Lance, call me asap!" Salazar wrote. "We have tested it, and it's amazing." Salazar was prepping to infuse the supplement into his...
'One in a Million': Runner Killed
by Lightning Near Finish Line
Oct 1, 2019 1:24 AM CDT
'One in a Million': Runner Killed by Lightning Near Finish Line
Organizers say storm blew in without warning
- A 33-year-old distance runner in Kansas was less than a quarter mile from the finish line in a 31-mile ultramarathon when he was killed by lightning. Carolyn Robinson, director of the FlatRock trail race, says Thomas Stanley was struck around 2:15pm Saturday after a small storm blew in "...
Runner Who Missed Drug
Tests Wins 100 at Worlds
Sep 28, 2019 4:00 PM CDT
Runner Who Missed Drug Tests Wins 100 at Worlds
Christian Coleman of the US becomes the sixth-fastest man in history
- Christian Coleman of the US won the world championship gold medal in the men's 100 meters Saturday in Qatar, three weeks after avoiding a ban for missed drug tests, the AP reports. Coleman started well and extended his lead down the stretch to win in 9.76 seconds. Defending...
Record Run at LA Marathon
Was Actually 'Impossible'
Jul 3, 2019 9:50 AM CDT
Record Run at LA Marathon Was Actually 'Impossible'
Frank Meza, 70, disqualified for cheating
- It was a record-setting run—until it wasn't. Frank Meza, a 70-year-old who logged an impressive time of 2:53:10 at the Los Angeles Marathon in March, has been disqualified after cameras caught him violating a couple of rules, per the
Los Angeles Times
. As pointed out by...
Facing Impossible Odds,
'Brave Gabe' Forged On
Jun 12, 2019 11:36 AM CDT
Facing Impossible Odds, 'Brave Gabe' Forged On
Gabe Grunewald showed 'bottomless courage' in cancer battle
- She was an inspiration in the running community, as well as a friend to Chip Gaines and the best thing that ever happened to Justin Grunewald. Appropriately, then, it was the latter who announced the death of Gabriele "Gabe" Grunewald on Instagram on Tuesday. "I will never be...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Singer's Decision to Catch COVID on Purpose Kills Her
Removal of Roosevelt Statue Begins
Decrepit Zero-Bedroom Home Sells for 'Head-Scratcher' Price
Wife of Cryptocurrency CEO Maintains She Watched Him Die
Alec Baldwin Sued by Family of Fallen Marine
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.