Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Court: Bronx Zoo
Is Not a Person
Jun 14, 2022 5:17 PM CDT
Court: Bronx Zoo Elephant 'Happy' Is Not a Person
2 judges on NY's top court disagreed with ruling on 'illegal confinement'
- Happy the elephant may be intelligent and deserving of compassion, but she cannot be considered a person being illegally confined to the Bronx Zoo, New York’s top court ruled Tuesday. The 5-2 decision by the state Court of Appeals comes in a closely watched case that tested the boundaries...
Some Elephants Are
Turning Into Plastic Polluters
May 31, 2022 4:22 PM CDT
Some Elephants Are Turning Into Plastic Polluters
Some consume plastic in dumps then excrete it in forests, study finds
- Much has been written about humans' consumption of microplastics . Ditto on the impacts of plastic waste on our oceans . Now comes a report on the plastics—items a heck of a lot bigger than microplastics—that elephants eat and how deep into otherwise unspoiled forests they end up depositing it....
To Study Elephants in Mourning,
Researchers Get Creative
May 18, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
To Study Elephants in Mourning, Researchers Get Creative
It's the first scientific documentation of the behavior in Asian elephants, thanks to YouTube
- Wildlife biologists used crowdsourced YouTube videos to compile the first scientific documentation of how Asian elephants react to death. It's not that they were afraid to go into the field to study them with their own eyes—the problem is that Asian elephants are jungle dwellers, which makes them...
Wandering Elephants Finally
Seem Headed Back Home
Aug 10, 2021 4:35 PM CDT
Wandering Elephants Finally Seem Headed Back Home
Herd fascinated the world with 300-mile trek north
- An elephant herd that fascinated locals and people around the world by making a yearlong journey into urbanized southwest China, raiding farms and even a retirement home for food, appears to be finally headed home. Local authorities have deployed trucks, workers, and drones to monitor the elephants, evacuated roads for...
Officials Scramble as
City Is Warned: The
Elephants Are Coming
Jun 2, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
Officials Scramble as City Is Warned: The Elephants Are Coming
Experts speculate inexperienced leader may have led herd 300 miles away from China nature reserve
- A herd of 15 wild elephants that walked 300 miles from a nature reserve in China's mountainous southwest were approaching the major city of Kunming on Wednesday as authorities rushed to try to keep them out of populated areas. The group was 16 animals, but the government says two...
by NRA's Chief
Apr 28, 2021 6:42 AM CDT
Video Emerges of 'Inept' Elephant Hunt by NRA's Chief
One critic calls shooting by Wayne LaPierre 'inept' and 'clumsy'
- A video shot for an NRA-sponsored TV series was hidden from the world for nearly eight years—until now. The footage, obtained by the
and the Trace , shows CEO Wayne LaPierre and his wife, Susan, shooting two savanna elephants in Botswana in September 2013. (The elephants have since...
Quest for Photo
With Zoo Elephant
Ends With Dad's Arrest
Mar 21, 2021 2:16 PM CDT
Quest for Photo With Zoo Elephant Ends With Dad's Arrest
Jose Manuel Navarrete faces child cruelty charges
- A father’s quest for a memorable photograph during a visit to the San Diego Zoo ended with his arrest. Jose Manuel Navarrete, 25, on Friday bypassed multiple barriers to enter a habitat for Asian and African elephants while carrying his 2-year-old daughter, the AP reports. “You hear this...
Off-Duty Rescue Worker
Saves Baby Elephant
Dec 22, 2020 6:17 PM CST
Off-Duty Rescue Worker Saves Baby Elephant
He revived it with 10 minutes of CPR
- Using CPR to try to revive a road accident victim is nothing new for Thai rescue worker Mana Srivate—but the victims aren't usually elephants. Mana, who has been a rescue worker for 26 years, was off duty Sunday night when he arrived at the accident scene while on...
'World's Loneliest Elephant'
Arrives Safely at New Home
Nov 30, 2020 1:10 PM CST
'World's Loneliest Elephant' Arrives Safely at New Home
'The flight was uneventful, which is all you can ask for when you transfer an elephant'
- The pachyderm dubbed the "world’s loneliest elephant" after languishing alone for years in a Pakistani zoo was greeted on his arrival in Cambodia on Monday by chanting Buddhist monks and then sent on his way to a wildlife sanctuary. Like other travelers during these times, Kaavan needed to...
Nov 27, 2020 9:05 AM CST
Here's Why Cher Just Rushed to Pakistan
Singer is there to celebrate departure of 'world's loneliest elephant' from Islamabad zoo
- Iconic singer and actress Cher is in Pakistan to celebrate the departure of Kaavan, dubbed the "world's loneliest elephant," who will soon leave a Pakistani zoo for better conditions after years of lobbying by animal rights groups and activists. Because of security concerns, Cher's schedule was...
'World's Loneliest Elephant'
Is Given a New Life
Sep 5, 2020 1:30 PM CDT
'World's Loneliest Elephant' Is Given a New Life
Kaavan has attracted the attention of celebrities and animal activists
- An elephant who has become a cause celebre for animal rights activists around the world will be allowed to leave his Pakistani zoo and transferred to better conditions, the animal welfare group helping with the case said Saturday. Dubbed the 'world's loneliest elephant' by his supporters, Kaavan has...
Will Be Given CBD Oil
Aug 26, 2020 1:10 PM CDT
Grieving Elephant Will Be Given CBD Oil
As the Warsaw Zoo seeks to learn whether it can lessen anxiety in animals
- It turns out 2020 hasn't just been hard for humans. The BBC reports on the case of an elephant in Poland who will be given CBD oil by zookeepers who are hoping to learn whether the oil could lessen anxiety in animals. They say that anxiety set in for...
Amid Pandemic, Thailand's
Elephants Face Starvation
Apr 1, 2020 1:55 AM CDT
Amid Pandemic, Thailand's Elephants Face Starvation
Owners say they can no longer afford to feed them
- In Thailand, elephants are at risk of becoming indirect victims of the coronavirus pandemic. With tourism at a standstill, the country's estimated 2,000 captive elephants are at risk of starvation, the AFP reports. Owners say they can't afford the hundreds of pounds of food an elephant needs...
6 Elephants Die in
Attempt to Save Calf
Oct 7, 2019 12:03 PM CDT
6 Elephants Die in Attempt to Save Calf
The baby elephant slipped over a waterfall, others followed
- A horrible story out of Thailand, where a baby elephant apparently slipped over a waterfall and six elephants ultimately died in the ensuing rescue attempt. Officials at the Khao Yai National Park say all the elephants that died Saturday fell from the "notorious" Haew Narok or "Hell's...
Elephants Join Search
for Missing 2-Year-Old
Dec 24, 2018 12:11 AM CST
Elephants Join Search for Missing 2-Year-Old
He vanished in Thailand a week ago
- Four elephants mounted by their mahouts have joined the search for a 2-year-old boy from Myanmar who has been missing in Thailand for a week, as hundreds of rescuers comb through a sugarcane field for traces of the missing child. Sului Piew, a son of migrant workers from Myanmar, went...
She Tried to Get a Photo of
the Elephant. It Killed Her
Sep 28, 2018 7:18 AM CDT
She Tried to Get a Photo of the Elephant. It Killed Her
Tourist loses her life in Zimbabwe's Mana Pools National Park
- A female tourist in Zimbabwe lost her life while trying to get a photo of an elephant. The BBC reports the German woman was among a group of vacationers who spotted a herd of elephants entering Mana Pools National Park on Wednesday. The unnamed 49-year-old was trampled by one of...
Botswana Prez: Poaching
Furor 'Nothing but Hysteria'
Sep 9, 2018 7:51 AM CDT
Botswana Prez: Poaching Furor 'Nothing but Hysteria'
Pushes back at critics after reports of an elephant 'poaching frenzy'
- Botswana's President Mokgweetsi Masisi says criticism of his government's anti-poaching policy is "nothing but hysteria," following reports of a "poaching frenzy" in a country with Africa's biggest elephant population. The remark came after some conservationists expressed concern that Botswana's wildlife department had been...
Circus Truck Crash Causes
Animal Welfare Outcry
Apr 3, 2018 4:57 AM CDT
Circus Truck Crash Causes Animal Welfare Outcry
Spain accident kills 1 elephant, injures 4
- Authorities in southern Spain say an elephant has died and four others are recovering from injuries after a circus truck tipped over on a major highway, provoking an outcry among animal rights defenders. The truck overturned on Monday on the highway linking Albacete with Murcia after overtaking another long vehicle,...
Trump Administration to Permit
Import of Elephant Body Parts
Mar 6, 2018 1:48 PM CST
Trump Administration to Permit Import of Elephant Body Parts
US Fish and Wildlife Service quietly made the announcement in March 1 letter
- The Trump administration has quietly decided once again to allow Americans to import the body parts of African elephants shot for sport, despite presidential tweets decrying the practice as a "horror show." President Trump personally intervened in November when the US Fish and Wildlife Service first said it...
Elephant Attacks, Kills Handler
Nov 28, 2017 7:15 AM CST
'Unpreventable Tragedy': Elephant Attacks, Kills Handler
Others say performing elephants' plight makes Thailand incident unsurprising
- In July, World Animal Protection issued a report on the "thousands of elephants exploited for tourism" in Asia, with Thailand listed as a "main concern." One of those elephants, a well-known performer in films and ads, may have rebelled against his own conditions Monday, crushing to death...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Before Trip, Petito Worried About Laundrie's 'Episodes'
At Least 6 Killed, 24 Hurt in Parade Mass Shooting
Cheney: 'Trump Can Never Be Near the Oval Office Again'
Teen's Sudden Mental Collapse Ended in a National Park
'Denmark Was Hit by a Cruel Attack on Sunday Night'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.