Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Town Decimated by Fire
Has New Obstacle to Rebuild
Nov 12, 2023 2:30 PM CST
Town Decimated by Fire Has New Obstacle to Rebuild
Homeowners in California town of Paradise find home insurance premiums have skyrocketed
- The soaring cost of home insurance has consumed the California town of Paradise, residents and officials say, just after the five-year anniversary of the Nov. 8, 2018, Camp Fire, the deadliest wildfire in California history. Residents have received annual premiums that are near or exceed $10,000—leaving many to...
Forests Are in Jeopardy
Oct 29, 2023 3:40 PM CDT
California's Famous Forests Are in Jeopardy
Management practices, more intense fires, a warming climate among the factors
- On a steep mountainside where walls of flames torched the forest on their way toward Lake Tahoe in 2021, blackened trees stand in silhouette against a gray sky. "If you can find a live tree, point to it," Hugh Safford, an environmental science and policy researcher at the...
In California, Crews
Battle Fire Tornadoes
Aug 1, 2023 12:17 PM CDT
In California, Crews Battle Fire Tornadoes
State's first big wildfire of the year erupted Friday, is still 0% contained
- After a slow start to the wildfire season, California is feeling the heat with its biggest blaze of the year. First spotted Friday in the New York Mountains area of the Mojave National Preserve in eastern San Bernardino County, the York Fire had burned thorough 77,000 acres as of...
Doubling Up as Firefighters
Jul 9, 2023 1:05 PM CDT
California Winemakers Doubling Up as Firefighters
'We play with pumps and hoses, too, except our hoses are full of wine'
- Wildfire season is approaching in California—and winemakers are prepared. After devastating fires in Northern California wine country in recent years, winemakers have rebuilt with fire-resistant materials and learned firefighting techniques, the BBC reports. Alan Viader at Viader Vineyard and Winery in Napa Valley became a qualified firefighter after the...
100-Plus Homes Were
Destroyed. Now, an Arrest
Jun 19, 2023 12:50 PM CDT
100-Plus Homes Were Destroyed. Now, an Arrest
Edward Wackerman, 71, is suspected of setting devastating blaze in Mariposa County, California
- An elderly man who lives near Yosemite National Park has been arrested after a forest fire there last year destroyed more than 125 homes. The AP reports that Edward Wackerman of Mariposa was taken into custody Friday, suspected of setting last summer's Oak Fire that burned nearly 20,000...
Another Insurer Stops Selling
California Homeowner Policies
Jun 2, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
Another Insurer Stops Selling California Homeowner Policies
Allstate has put new policies in the state on pause
- Another big insurance company has quietly stopped selling home insurance in California. Allstate, which in 2021 was the fourth-largest property and casualty insurance provider in the state, is no longer writing new homeowner, condo, or commercial insurance policies there, the
San Francisco Chronicle
reports. The company says the pause on...
Wildfire Rips Through Homes
Sep 3, 2022 2:50 PM CDT
Wildfire Rips Through Homes
About 100 structures are lost to California blaze that sent residents fleeing
- A wind-swept wildfire in rural Northern California tore through a neighborhood and destroyed about 100 homes and other buildings, fire officials said Saturday after at least two people were injured and thousands were forced to evacuate. The Mill Fire started shortly before 1pm Friday just north of Weed, a city...
Wildfire Wipes Out
Scenic California Hamlet
Aug 3, 2022 5:01 PM CDT
Wildfire Wipes Out Scenic California Hamlet
At least 4 Klamath River residents died in devastating McKinney Fire
- The scenic Northern California hamlet of Klamath River was home to about 200 people, a community center where they gathered, a corner store, and a post office. But the wildfire raging through the forested region near the Oregon state line jumped the river last weekend, killing four residents of the...
Jul 24, 2022 1:55 PM CDT
Crews Can't Contain Fire Near Yosemite
Blaze burns out of control in high heat, low humidity
: The wildfire raging near Yosemite National Park, which has become one of California's biggest of the year, remains out of control. And officials said the forecast for Sunday is not encouraging, the AP reports. "Today the weather is expected to remain hot with minimum humidity between 5...
California's Biggest Landowner
Closes Forests to Public
Jun 27, 2022 2:17 PM CDT
California's Biggest Landowner Closes Forests to Public
Sierra Pacific Industries cites wildfire risk
- Sierra Pacific Industries, the largest private landowner in America, says its forest lands in California will be closed to the public starting Friday. The company, which owns 2.33 million acres of land in California, Oregon, and Washington, normally allows the public to use land that isn't being actively...
Man Who Started Fire
That Killed Condors
Gets 24 Years
May 20, 2022 7:11 AM CDT
Man Who Started Fire That Killed Condors Gets 24 Years
2020 California fire nearly killed 14 firefighters
- A man who started a 2020 wildfire that killed 12 endangered California condors and seriously injured a firefighter has been sentenced to 24 years in state prison. Ivan Gomez, 31, was sentenced Wednesday by a Monterey County judge for setting the Big Sur Dolan fire while illegally growing marijuana in...
Big Sur Fire Shuts Highway 1
Jan 22, 2022 2:30 PM CST
Big Sur Fire Shuts Highway 1
Winds up to 70mph are expected in Southern California, as well
- A wind-driven wildfire broke out late Friday in the rugged mountains above Big Sur, forcing residents to evacuate their homes and authorities to shut down a stretch of Pacific Coast Highway. The fire started in a canyon and was pushed by 35mph winds to the sea, jumping the highway and...
Ruined a Winery's
Grapes. It Had a Plan
Dec 9, 2021 1:36 PM CST
California Wildfires Ruined a Winery's Grapes. It Had a Plan
Napa Valley's Pine Ridge Vineyards is now producing vodka made from the smoke-tainted fruit
- When life hands you lemons, make lemonade. When it hands you ruined grapes, make ... vodka? That's what Napa Valley's Pine Ridge Vineyards opted to do when its grape crops were sullied by smoke from last year's California wildfires, thanks in part to a partnership with an Almeda...
Father, Son Accused of
Starting Caldor Fire
Dec 9, 2021 1:48 AM CST
Father, Son Accused of Starting Caldor Fire
California wildfire burned for 67 days before it was contained
A father and son stand accused of reckless arson in the California wildfire that threatened the storied Lake Tahoe region, the
reports. After a monthslong investigation involving multiple search warrants, David Scott Smith, 66, and Travis Shane Smith, 32, were on Thursday taken into custody on a...
Thousands of Sequoias Must
Be Chopped Down
Oct 24, 2021 8:45 AM CDT
Thousands of Sequoias Must Be Chopped Down
Trees pose danger after California wildfires
- Thousands of California's famed giant sequoias are doomed in the wake of devastating wildfires that have swept the Sierra Nevada. Per ABC News , upwards of 10,000 of the trees, which can reach 275 feet and live for 3,000 years or more, must be culled for safety reasons....
Calif. Wildfires Deliver
a 'Heartbreaking' Loss
Oct 8, 2021 12:30 PM CDT
Calif. Wildfires Deliver a 'Heartbreaking' Loss
Hundreds of giant sequoias are believed to have burned
- Northern California wildfires may have killed hundreds of giant sequoias as they swept through groves of the majestic monarchs in the Sierra Nevada, an official said Wednesday. "It's heartbreaking," Christy Brigham, head of resources management and science for Sequoia and Kings Canyon national parks, told the AP...
Jury Awards Shannen Doherty
$6.3M to Rebuild Her House
Oct 5, 2021 12:09 PM CDT
Jury Awards Shannen Doherty $6.3M to Rebuild Her House
Actress had sued insurance company over settlement after wildfire
A Los Angeles jury has agreed that Shannen Doherty is owed more money by her insurer after her house was hit by a wildfire—to the tune of $6.3 million. The actress had sued, arguing that the house was so damaged that it needed to be rebuilt, while...
Woman Allegedly Sparked
Wildfire Trying to Boil Water
Sep 28, 2021 5:23 AM CDT
Woman Allegedly Sparked Wildfire Trying to Boil Water
Alexandra Souverneva hit with multiple charges in California
- The woman who was arrested after walking out of a Northern California wildfire near the fire line has now been charged with arson. Authorities say Alexandra Souverneva, 30, was trying to hike to Canada when, she told them, she found a puddle of water to drink but wanted to sterilize...
Woman Walks Out of Brush
Near Fire Line, Is Arrested
Sep 24, 2021 4:04 PM CDT
Woman Walks Out of Brush Near Fire Line, Is Arrested
Alexandra Souverneva accused of arson in Fawn Fire, which has forced evacuations of 4K
- A fire that erupted Wednesday in California's Shasta County has quickly spread to cover 5,500 acres , forcing thousands of people out of their homes. It's also prompted an arrest. Cal Fire and Shasta County Fire said employees spotted a white woman trespassing on property accessed through two...
Special Blankets Helped Save
World's Biggest Trees
Sep 21, 2021 11:14 AM CDT
Special Blankets Helped Save World's Biggest Trees
Recent controlled burns also kept sequoias safe in California
- The general is safe, for now. The reference is to the world's biggest tree, known as General Sherman, in California's Sequoia National Park, reports NPR . Encroaching wildfires had forest workers scrambling to protect the ancient trees last week, and their efforts appear to have paid off. Not only...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Redwoods Surprise Scientists With a Survival Tactic
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
GOP Race Sees Another Contender Drop Out
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.