Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Australian Open Reverses
Course, Allows Peng T-Shirts
Jan 25, 2022 6:38 AM CST
Australian Open Reverses Course, Allows Peng T-Shirts
Spectators had been asked to remove their shirts, worn in support of Chinese player
T-shirts with the image of Chinese tennis player Peng Shuai will be allowed at the Australian Open after all. The tournament has reversed its policy forbidding spectators to wear such shirts—typically asking "Where is Peng Shuai?"—after much criticism, most notably from tennis legend Martina Navratilova,...
I Have Cancer
My Late Sister Had
Jan 15, 2022 7:00 AM CST
Chris Evert: I Have Cancer My Late Sister Had
Tennis Hall of Famer, in early stages of ovarian cancer, has started chemo
- While much of the attention in the tennis world has recently been focused on the upcoming Australian Open, especially Novak Djokovic's attempts to get into the country to play there, a message from legend Chris Evert on Friday evening shifted things to more sobering ground. "I wanted to...
WTA Just Suspended
All Tournaments in China
Dec 1, 2021 5:28 PM CST
WTA Just Suspended All Tournaments in China
Chairman doubts Peng Shuai is being allowed to speak freely
- The Women's Tennis Association says it is unconvinced by China's efforts to show Peng Shuai is speaking freely, so it is suspending all tournaments in China with immediate effect. In a statement released Tuesday, WTA Chairman Steve Simon said he had "serious doubts" that Peng, who accused...
Peng Shuai Reappears At
Youth Tennis Event
Nov 21, 2021 5:45 AM CST
Peng Shuai Reappears At Youth Tennis Event
Chinese tennis star vanished after accusing Communist official of sexual assault
- Missing tennis star Peng Shuai reappeared in public Sunday at a youth tournament in Beijing, according to photos released by the organizer, as the ruling Communist Party tried to quell fears abroad while suppressing information in China about Peng after she accused a senior leader of sexual assault. The post...
Serena Williams: 'We Must
Not Stay Silent' on Peng Shuai
Nov 19, 2021 7:00 AM CST
Serena Williams: 'We Must Not Stay Silent' on Peng Shuai
WTA chairman weighs pulling organization out of China
- US tennis legend Serena Williams has joined the chorus of calls demanding to know #WhereIsPengShuai. "This must be investigated and we must not stay silent," Williams tweeted Thursday, adding she was "devastated and shocked" by the situation with the Chinese tennis player. "I hope she is...
WTA Chief: Email Only Raises
Concerns About Tennis Star
Nov 18, 2021 4:59 AM CST
WTA Chief: Email Only Raises Concerns About Tennis Star
He doesn't believe email in Chinese state media is really from Peng Shuai
- Tennis officials say they have serious doubts about an email purporting to be from Peng Shuai, the top Chinese player who has been out of sight since she accused a former government official of sexual assault earlier this month. The email shared by state-controlled English-language broadcaster China Global Television Network...
'I'm In Shock'
Nov 17, 2021 8:26 AM CST
Naomi Osaka on Missing Tennis Star: 'I'm In Shock'
Tennis world demands answers about Peng Shuai after she made sexual assault allegations
- Earlier this month, a pro women's tennis star in China lobbed sexual assault allegations on social media against an ex-government bigwig there. That post was quickly scrubbed, and since then, no one's heard publicly from Peng Shuai, leading to no shortage of concern. Among the voices demanding answers...
Tennis Stars Describe
'Never Ending' Abuse
Sep 7, 2021 7:31 AM CDT
Tennis Stars Describe 'Never Ending' Abuse
Americans Shelby Rogers, Sloane Stephens speak out
- It's not just Naomi Osaka who's making clear the various pressures placed on athletes at the US Open : American Shelby Rogers on Monday said she was preparing to receive "nine million death threats" on social media following her fourth-round loss to Britain's Emma Raducanu. Rogers was...
Isn't Sure When
Sep 4, 2021 5:30 PM CDT
Tearful Osaka Isn't Sure When She'll Play Tennis Again
Saying she's dealing with issues, star plans a break after US Open upset
- Tennis star Naomi Osaka isn't sure what to do. "When I win, I don't feel happy. I feel more like a relief. And then when I lose, I feel very sad," she said after losing at the US Open on Friday night. "I don't...
Naomi Osaka Loses Cool
—and US Open Title
Sep 4, 2021 7:15 AM CDT
Naomi Osaka Loses Cool —and US Open Title
Defending champ lost to an 18-year-old ranked 73rd
- Naomi Osaka smacked her racket against Arthur Ashe Stadium’s court. Moments later, she chucked her equipment, sending it bouncing and skidding halfway to the net. Then came a full-on spike near the baseline, per the AP . Osaka’s game was off. Her composure was gone. By the end,...
Miss Play but
Top Money List
Aug 30, 2021 7:55 PM CDT
Osaka, Serena Miss Play but Top Money List
Endorsements help put tennis stars well ahead of other female athletes in income
- Young tennis players on their way up might want to also keep their eye on the endorsements. Naomi Osaka and Serena Williams haven't won many tournaments lately—nine between them since February—partly because they've skipped some or missed them because of injuries. But they still top the...
Jul 19, 2021 1:33 AM CDT
Coco Gauff's Positive COVID Test Means No Olympics
It's not clear whether tennis star, 17, is vaccinated
- Teen tennis phenom Cori "Coco" Gauff will have to sit out the Tokyo Olympics after testing positive for COVID-19. Gauff, 17, said in a statement posted to Twitter on Sunday that she is "so disappointed." "It has always been a dream of mine to represent the...
Mattel's Naomi Osaka Barbie
Sells Out in Hours
Jul 13, 2021 9:55 AM CDT
Mattel's Naomi Osaka Barbie Sells Out in Hours
Tennis star has a doll in her likeness
- Tennis star Naomi Osaka was one of 20 or so "Sheros"—read: female heroes—gifted a Barbie doll in their own likeness in 2019 . The public was apparently eager for a Barbie of the world's highest-paid female athlete, too, as a new doll of Osaka sold out...
Got to Change
Jul 8, 2021 5:05 PM CDT
Naomi Osaka: Things Have Got to Change
She suggests sick days for tennis players, press conference reforms
- "In any other line of work, you would be forgiven for taking a personal day here and there." Not so in the highest ranks of tennis, as Naomi Osaka writes following her controversial exit at the French Open. In a
essay, the Japanese-born star dealing with social...
Teen Ranked 338
Decides to Enjoy Run
Jul 3, 2021 5:15 PM CDT
Teen Ranked 338 Decides to Enjoy Run
Emma Raducanu reaches Round of 16 in her Wimbledon debut
- On Friday, Emma Raducanu asked if she could sit for a moment at Wimbledon's empty No. 1 Court, where she was scheduled to play the next day. The British 18-year-old wanted to get a feel for the venue and for her place in the tournament, the
Jun 27, 2021 9:35 AM CDT
Serena Williams Won't Play in Tokyo
Tennis star doesn't elaborate on reasons but had expressed concern about leaving her daughter behind
- Serena Williams, who's already won four gold medals, said Sunday she's not going to Tokyo for the Summer Olympics. "I'm actually not on the Olympic list, not that I'm aware of," she said to reporters Sunday at Wimbledon in London. "If so, then...
Osaka Gives Tennis,
Journalists an Opportunity
Jun 18, 2021 5:05 PM CDT
Osaka Gives Tennis, Journalists an Opportunity
Star's stance could cause a reckoning, analysts say
- By announcing she'll skip Wimbledon after already withdrawing from the French Open—even as tennis officials say they're working on the issues she raised—Naomi Osaka is making a couple of things clear. She's serious about putting her mental health first, whether the tennis bosses like it...
Late Coach's Words
in Mind While
Jun 12, 2021 2:05 PM CDT
Krejcikova Keeps Late Coach's Words in Mind While Winning French
New champion was unseeded in the tournament
- Thinking of her late coach the whole time, Barbora Krejcikova went from unseeded to Grand Slam champion at the French Open. Krejcikova beat 31st-seeded Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova 6-1, 2-6, 6-4 in the final at Roland Garros on Saturday to win the title in just her fifth major tournament as a singles...
Arrested at French Open
Jun 4, 2021 10:53 AM CDT
Russian Player Arrested at French Open
Yana Sizikova accused of match-fixing at last year's tournament
- The French Open has moved from one controversy to another with a Russian player now accused of match-fixing. Thursday got progressively worse for Yana Sizikova, who lost her opening round doubles match with fellow Russian Ekaterina Alexandrova in Paris, then was arrested and had her hotel room searched, French newspaper...
After Osaka's Surprise
Withdrawal, a Lively Debate
Jun 1, 2021 8:21 AM CDT
After Osaka's Surprise Withdrawal, a Lively Debate
Serena Williams, Martina Navratilova, others rally to support tennis star's mental health
- Naomi Osaka's decision to withdraw from the French Open rather than face mandatory media interviews has become one of the most talked-about stories in sports, with folks speaking out on behalf of the world's second-ranked women's tennis player, who admitted to battling depression and social anxiety, and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Secrets of Playboy 's Hugh Hefner Allegations Are Graphic
'Stealth Omicron' Has Arrived in the US
After 6 Years in Jail for Staying Mum on Gold, a New Roadblock
Man Fired, Charged After Rant in Smoothie Store
In This City, a US First on Gun Ownership
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.