Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Meal Delivery Service
Figures Out What
Jul 20, 2022 1:06 AM CDT
Meal Delivery Service Figures Out What Sickened Hundreds
It was tara flour that led to GI, liver problems
- Hundreds of people got sick after eating a lentil-based meal from vegan meal delivery service Daily Harvest, and the company says it has now figured out the culprit: tara flour. The ingredient, made from the seeds of the tara tree that grows in South America and used as a plant-based...
CDC Links Ice Cream Brand
to Deadly Listeria Outbreak
Jul 5, 2022 4:45 PM CDT
CDC Links Ice Cream Brand to Deadly Listeria Outbreak
The CDC's investigation is ongoing, but one brand in particular caught their attention
- The CDC has linked a deadly listeria outbreak to an ice cream company in Florida. Per the
Wall Street Journal,
the outbreak has killed one person and sickened at least 22 others. It dates back to early 2021; however, 16 of the cases occurred this year, including 10 since March....
Food Poisoning Can Cost
You Far More Than You Think
Jan 23, 2022 7:15 AM CST
Food Poisoning Can Cost You Far More Than You Think
ProPublica looks at some of the lingering impacts
- "You think, 'Oh, foodborne illness is just a bellyache,' but it is quite costly." The loved ones of Lovey Jean Carter learned that the hard way. After the Texas woman was buried in Austin in November 2019, some 84 people moved on to a reception at...
Chef Sentenced to 4 Months
for 'Rushed' Shepherd's Pie
in case you missed it
Dec 5, 2021 3:20 PM CST
Chef Sentenced to 4 Months for 'Rushed' Shepherd's Pie
John Croucher's 2018 meal served to church congregation sickened dozens, killed one
- John Croucher served up a shepherd's pie in 2018 that ended up giving 32 people food poisoning, including one woman who died. Now, the former head chef at a UK country pub has been sentenced to four months in prison, with a year's suspension, after conceding that he'...
Imelda Marcos Threw a Party.
It Did Not Go Well
Jul 3, 2019 7:21 AM CDT
Imelda Marcos Threw a Party. It Did Not Go Well
261 people are hospitalized with suspected food poisoning
- The 90th birthday celebration for former Philippines first lady Imelda Marcos wasn't much of a party for more than 260 people hospitalized with suspected food poisoning. Rice, boiled eggs, and chicken Adobo was prepared for 2,500 well-wishers at a sports complex in Manila on Wednesday before dozens reported...
Woman Falls Ill, Dies
After Eating at
Feb 22, 2019 12:33 AM CST
Woman Falls Ill, Dies After Eating at Michelin-Starred Restaurant
RiFF in Valencia, Spain, closed as authorities investigate
- A 46-year-old woman fell ill and died after dining at a Michelin-starred restaurant in Spain, the
reports. Health authorities have confirmed 29 cases of food poisoning in diners who ate at RiFF in Valencia between Feb. 13 and 16; the unnamed woman ate there with her family Saturday evening...
11 Get Sick, Die
at Religious Ceremony
Dec 15, 2018 10:14 AM CST
11 Get Sick, Die at Religious Ceremony
They were celebrating a new temple in India
- Police on Saturday arrested three people after at least 11 died of suspected food poisoning following a ceremony to celebrate the construction of a new Hindu temple in southern India, the AP reports. Police officer Musharraf says that more than 130 sick people were recovering from poisoning in various hospitals...
USDA Recall: 91K Pounds of
Jennie-O Ground Turkey
Nov 16, 2018 11:00 AM CST
USDA Recall: 91K Pounds of Jennie-O Ground Turkey
Meat may be tied to 35-state salmonella outbreak
- If you're planning on scarfing down turkey on Thanksgiving, you may want to stick with the traditional full bird instead of the ground variety. KHOU reports Jennie-O has recalled more than 91,000 pounds of raw ground turkey shipped to stores around the US, and the USDA notes it'...
'Healthy' Couple's Death
Gets a Little Clearer
Aug 25, 2018 10:35 AM CDT
'Healthy' Couple's Death Gets a Little Clearer
John and Susan Cooper suddenly got sick and died at Egyptian hotel
- A British couple that died unexpectedly at an Egyptian hotel may have fallen victim to severe food poisoning, the
reports. To recap: John Cooper and his wife Susan Cooper, both in their 60s and described as "fit and healthy," died Tuesday while vacationing at the Steigenberger Aqua...
Flood of New Illness
Reports Hit Chipotle
Jul 31, 2018 10:45 AM CDT
Flood of New Illness Reports Hit Chipotle
But hey, there's free guacamole Tuesday!
- Food safety concerns are once again plaguing Chipotle: Consumer complaints filed on IWasPoisoned.com —a website that tracks possible food poisoning cases and helped reveal a 2015 E. coli outbreak at Chipotle locations—suggest close to 200 people have fallen ill after eating at a Ohio restaurant, per Business...
What It's Like to Be
Nearly Killed by E. Coli
Apr 25, 2018 5:37 PM CDT
What It's Like to Be Nearly Killed by E. Coli
Maggie Menditto recalls her life-threatening experience with the bacterial infection
- When Maggie Menditto first came down with troubling symptoms including abdominal cramps and "blood coming out of new and terrifying places," doctors thought she had colitis. She was placed on antibiotics in the hospital, but soon she was throwing up every hour and an infectious disease doctor diagnosed...
Dozens of Teens
Touring DC End
Apr 2, 2018 10:45 AM CDT
Dozens of Teens Touring DC End Up Hospitalized
Illness (possibly food poisoning) seems to have originated in NYC
- A spring break trip to the East Coast turned icky for a group of 48 teens and three adults Sunday night when the entire tour group was taken to hospitals in Washington, DC, with possible food poisoning. The group, which fire officials say may be from London, first started having...
Saudi Media Accuses Qatar
of Poisoning Iraqi Refugees
Jun 13, 2017 4:16 PM CDT
Saudi Media Accuses Qatar of Poisoning Iraqi Refugees
Hundreds hit by food poisoning at Iraq camp for the displaced
- Food poisoning at a camp for displaced residents of Mosul has made more than 700 people sick, with hundreds hospitalized, Iraqi officials said Tuesday. The incident at the Hassan Sham U2 camp, about 13 miles east of Mosul, has become part of the ongoing dispute between Saudi Arabia and Qatar....
May 18, 2017 6:57 AM CDT
Mom Paralyzed After Eating Gas Station Nacho Cheese
She's one of 9 cases in California outbreak
- Lavinia Kelly went from being a busy, happy mother of three to a partially paralyzed hospital patient after putting nacho cheese on her Doritos at a gas station, family members say. The Sacramento resident, who turned 33 on Wednesday, is one of at least five confirmed cases of botulism involving...
3 Dead After Community
Nov 29, 2016 7:36 AM CST
3 Dead After Community Thanksgiving Meal
But it's unclear whether the dinner is to blame
- Three people died and another five were hospitalized after a community Thanksgiving dinner in Antioch, Calif., but health authorities can't say for sure whether the meal is to blame. One other leading theory: All eight lived at the same nursing facility and might have consumed something there that made...
Family Can't Escape Vicious
Aug 26, 2016 8:34 AM CDT
Family Can't Escape Vicious Food-Poisoning Cycle
Turkish family also poisoned their guests
- You can forgive friends of the Erdal family if they skip the next dinner invitation. After four members of the family in northern Turkey suffered food poisoning severe enough to land them in a hospital for a week, they decided to throw a "gratitude dinner" to celebrate their recovery....
You May Not Want
to Read This
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Aug 23, 2015 6:44 AM CDT
Don't Wash Your Spinach? You May Not Want to Read This
Even if you do wash, bad news for you
- If you don't wash the pre-washed spinach you buy from the store, you may want to stop reading. Actually, even if you do wash your spinach, you still may want to stop here. According to new findings by food safety researchers out of the University of California, Riverside , bacteria...
Drug-Resistant Diarrhea Bug Spreads in US
Apr 3, 2015 12:56 PM CDT
Drug-Resistant Diarrhea Bug Spreads in US
Shigella strain resists common treatment of Cipro
- Travelers from overseas have brought back an unwelcome present for us all: a particularly rough stomach bug that is now spreading across the US. Bonus: This strain of Shigella is resistant to the go-to antibiotic in such cases, ciprofloxacin, or Cipro. A CDC report says the agency has tracked 243...
3 Foods That the
Experts Won't Touch
Jul 4, 2014 2:25 PM CDT
3 Foods That the Experts Won't Touch
And other food-safety tips to keep your July 4th rolling
- Nothing can put a damper on your July 4th barbecue like rain—except maybe food safety experts, some of whom give
pointers on how to avoid celebrations that end with you running for the bathroom. Doug Powell of the aptly-named barfblog.com starts with a few foods he...
Food Safety Conference
Hit by ... Food Poisoning
Apr 30, 2014 4:32 PM CDT
Food Safety Conference Hit by ... Food Poisoning
Maryland officials investigating outbreak at summit
- Irony alert: Maryland health officials suspect that food poisoning sickened more than 100 attendees of a national conference about, yes, food safety, reports Reuters . Representatives of the FDA, the CDC, and food giants such as McDonald's and ConAgra attended the April 8-10 summit at the Baltimore Convention Center, and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Oscars Reviewing Rules After Controversial Nomination
Dallas Zoo Adds Another Mystery to the List
Woman Allegedly Killed Lookalike She Found on Instagram
TikTok Trend Leads to More Bad News for Kia, Hyundai Owners
With Laverne, Cindy Williams Skipped Through Milwaukee
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.