food poisoning

Stories 1 - 20 |  Next >>

Meal Delivery Service Figures Out What Sickened Hundreds

It was tara flour that led to GI, liver problems

(Newser) - Hundreds of people got sick after eating a lentil-based meal from vegan meal delivery service Daily Harvest, and the company says it has now figured out the culprit: tara flour. The ingredient, made from the seeds of the tara tree that grows in South America and used as a plant-based...

CDC Links Ice Cream Brand to Deadly Listeria Outbreak

The CDC's investigation is ongoing, but one brand in particular caught their attention

(Newser) - The CDC has linked a deadly listeria outbreak to an ice cream company in Florida. Per the Wall Street Journal, the outbreak has killed one person and sickened at least 22 others. It dates back to early 2021; however, 16 of the cases occurred this year, including 10 since March....

Food Poisoning Can Cost You Far More Than You Think

ProPublica looks at some of the lingering impacts

(Newser) - "You think, 'Oh, foodborne illness is just a bellyache,' but it is quite costly." The loved ones of Lovey Jean Carter learned that the hard way. After the Texas woman was buried in Austin in November 2019, some 84 people moved on to a reception at...

Man Whose Meal Killed 1: I'm a Better Chef Now
Chef Sentenced to 4 Months
for 'Rushed' Shepherd's Pie
in case you missed it

Chef Sentenced to 4 Months for 'Rushed' Shepherd's Pie

John Croucher's 2018 meal served to church congregation sickened dozens, killed one

(Newser) - John Croucher served up a shepherd's pie in 2018 that ended up giving 32 people food poisoning, including one woman who died. Now, the former head chef at a UK country pub has been sentenced to four months in prison, with a year's suspension, after conceding that he'...

Imelda Marcos Threw a Party. It Did Not Go Well

261 people are hospitalized with suspected food poisoning

(Newser) - The 90th birthday celebration for former Philippines first lady Imelda Marcos wasn't much of a party for more than 260 people hospitalized with suspected food poisoning. Rice, boiled eggs, and chicken Adobo was prepared for 2,500 well-wishers at a sports complex in Manila on Wednesday before dozens reported...

Woman Falls Ill, Dies After Eating at Michelin-Starred Restaurant

RiFF in Valencia, Spain, closed as authorities investigate

(Newser) - A 46-year-old woman fell ill and died after dining at a Michelin-starred restaurant in Spain, the Guardian reports. Health authorities have confirmed 29 cases of food poisoning in diners who ate at RiFF in Valencia between Feb. 13 and 16; the unnamed woman ate there with her family Saturday evening...

11 Get Sick, Die at Religious Ceremony

They were celebrating a new temple in India

(Newser) - Police on Saturday arrested three people after at least 11 died of suspected food poisoning following a ceremony to celebrate the construction of a new Hindu temple in southern India, the AP reports. Police officer Musharraf says that more than 130 sick people were recovering from poisoning in various hospitals...

USDA Recall: 91K Pounds of Jennie-O Ground Turkey

Meat may be tied to 35-state salmonella outbreak

(Newser) - If you're planning on scarfing down turkey on Thanksgiving, you may want to stick with the traditional full bird instead of the ground variety. KHOU reports Jennie-O has recalled more than 91,000 pounds of raw ground turkey shipped to stores around the US, and the USDA notes it'...

'Healthy' Couple's Death Gets a Little Clearer
'Healthy' Couple's Death
Gets a Little Clearer
the rundown

'Healthy' Couple's Death Gets a Little Clearer

John and Susan Cooper suddenly got sick and died at Egyptian hotel

(Newser) - A British couple that died unexpectedly at an Egyptian hotel may have fallen victim to severe food poisoning, the Sun reports. To recap: John Cooper and his wife Susan Cooper, both in their 60s and described as "fit and healthy," died Tuesday while vacationing at the Steigenberger Aqua...

Flood of New Illness Reports Hit Chipotle

But hey, there's free guacamole Tuesday!

(Newser) - Food safety concerns are once again plaguing Chipotle: Consumer complaints filed on IWasPoisoned.com —a website that tracks possible food poisoning cases and helped reveal a 2015 E. coli outbreak at Chipotle locations—suggest close to 200 people have fallen ill after eating at a Ohio restaurant, per Business...

What It's Like to Be Nearly Killed by E. Coli

Maggie Menditto recalls her life-threatening experience with the bacterial infection

(Newser) - When Maggie Menditto first came down with troubling symptoms including abdominal cramps and "blood coming out of new and terrifying places," doctors thought she had colitis. She was placed on antibiotics in the hospital, but soon she was throwing up every hour and an infectious disease doctor diagnosed...

Dozens of Teens Touring DC End Up Hospitalized

Illness (possibly food poisoning) seems to have originated in NYC

(Newser) - A spring break trip to the East Coast turned icky for a group of 48 teens and three adults Sunday night when the entire tour group was taken to hospitals in Washington, DC, with possible food poisoning. The group, which fire officials say may be from London, first started having...

Saudi Media Accuses Qatar of Poisoning Iraqi Refugees

Hundreds hit by food poisoning at Iraq camp for the displaced

(Newser) - Food poisoning at a camp for displaced residents of Mosul has made more than 700 people sick, with hundreds hospitalized, Iraqi officials said Tuesday. The incident at the Hassan Sham U2 camp, about 13 miles east of Mosul, has become part of the ongoing dispute between Saudi Arabia and Qatar....

Mom Paralyzed After Eating Gas Station Nacho Cheese

She's one of 9 cases in California outbreak

(Newser) - Lavinia Kelly went from being a busy, happy mother of three to a partially paralyzed hospital patient after putting nacho cheese on her Doritos at a gas station, family members say. The Sacramento resident, who turned 33 on Wednesday, is one of at least five confirmed cases of botulism involving...

3 Dead After Community Thanksgiving Meal

But it's unclear whether the dinner is to blame

(Newser) - Three people died and another five were hospitalized after a community Thanksgiving dinner in Antioch, Calif., but health authorities can't say for sure whether the meal is to blame. One other leading theory: All eight lived at the same nursing facility and might have consumed something there that made...

Family Can't Escape Vicious Food-Poisoning Cycle

Turkish family also poisoned their guests

(Newser) - You can forgive friends of the Erdal family if they skip the next dinner invitation. After four members of the family in northern Turkey suffered food poisoning severe enough to land them in a hospital for a week, they decided to throw a "gratitude dinner" to celebrate their recovery....

Don't Wash Your Spinach? You May Not Want to Read This

Even if you do wash, bad news for you

(Newser) - If you don't wash the pre-washed spinach you buy from the store, you may want to stop reading. Actually, even if you do wash your spinach, you still may want to stop here. According to new findings by food safety researchers out of the University of California, Riverside , bacteria...

Drug-Resistant Diarrhea Bug Spreads in US

Shigella strain resists common treatment of Cipro

(Newser) - Travelers from overseas have brought back an unwelcome present for us all: a particularly rough stomach bug that is now spreading across the US. Bonus: This strain of Shigella is resistant to the go-to antibiotic in such cases, ciprofloxacin, or Cipro. A CDC report says the agency has tracked 243...

3 Foods That the Experts Won't Touch

And other food-safety tips to keep your July 4th rolling

(Newser) - Nothing can put a damper on your July 4th barbecue like rain—except maybe food safety experts, some of whom give USA Today pointers on how to avoid celebrations that end with you running for the bathroom. Doug Powell of the aptly-named barfblog.com starts with a few foods he...

Food Safety Conference Hit by ... Food Poisoning

Maryland officials investigating outbreak at summit

(Newser) - Irony alert: Maryland health officials suspect that food poisoning sickened more than 100 attendees of a national conference about, yes, food safety, reports Reuters . Representatives of the FDA, the CDC, and food giants such as McDonald's and ConAgra attended the April 8-10 summit at the Baltimore Convention Center, and...

Stories 1 - 20 |  Next >>
We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.