Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Details Emerge About
Teen Shooter in Texas
May 25, 2022 12:22 PM CDT
Details Emerge About Teen Shooter in Texas
Salvador Rolando Ramos is described as a troubled teen fascinated with guns
- In the wake of Tuesday's mass shooting in Uvalde, Texas , details are emerging about the gunman, identified as 18-year-old Salvador Rolando Ramos. While Newser is focusing its coverage on the victims and other aspects of the aftermath, this file encompasses what's currently known about Ramos. Some of the...
Gunman in Body Armor
Kills 10 in Supermarket
May 14, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
Gunman in Body Armor Kills 10 in Supermarket
FBI investigates attack as a hate crime
- A gunman wearing body armor and a military helmet opened fire with a high-powered rifle at a packed Buffalo supermarket on Saturday, killing 10 people and wounding three others. Police took a man into custody, the
reports. He was not identified. "It's like walking onto a...
Hero Pastor Tackles,
Nov 8, 2021 6:00 PM CST
Hero Pastor Tackles, Disarms Gunman
Suspect waved firearm at Nashville congregation
- A pastor in Nashville, Tennessee, says he was acting as God's instrument when he tackled and disarmed a man who had been waving a gun at his congregation. Police say the heroic actions of pastor Ezekiel Ndikumana and other members of the Nashville Light Mission Pentecostal Church "saved...
Tennessee Shooter Was
a 3rd-Party Vendor
Sep 25, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
Tennessee Shooter Was a 3rd-Party Vendor
Police ID Kroger gunman as 29-year-old Uk Thang
- More pieces are coming together after Thursday's mass shooting at a Tennessee Kroger, including the identity of the gunman. Collierville Police Chief Dale Lane says authorities are "getting a clearer picture of what occurred," including on 29-year-old Uk Thang, whom they've IDed as the shooter, per...
A Father-Son Outing
Turns Deadly, Randomly
Jul 7, 2020 2:47 PM CDT
A Father-Son Outing Turns Deadly, Randomly
California doctor Ari Gershman was shot dead by a 'random gunman'
- A California doctor was shot dead on Friday while off-roading in a new four-wheel drive Jeep with his 15-year-old son—who fled the gunman and survived a more than 30-hour ordeal in the Tahoe National Forest. Ari Gershman, a 45-year-old pulmonary doctor from Danville, was shot by a "random...
At Least 10 Are Dead in
Canadian Mass Shooting
Apr 19, 2020 3:00 PM CDT
At Least 10 Are Dead in Canadian Mass Shooting
The suspect was arrested and later pronounced dead
- A 51-year-old man went on a shooting rampage and killed at least 10 people in the Canadian province of Nova Scotia on Sunday, officials said. The suspect was arrested at a gas station and police later announced that he had died, the AP reports. The man was identified by police...
Texas Church Shooting
Was Over in 6 Seconds
Dec 30, 2019 12:26 PM CST
Texas Church Shooting Was Over in 6 Seconds
2 members of the church's security team took out the gunman
- The gunman who shot and killed two people at a Texas church on Sunday as services were being broadcast live was stopped in just six seconds, according to Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick. "Two of the parishioners who were volunteers of the [West Freeway Church of Christ's] security...
They Were Honoring
Judaism's Holiest Day
When Gunman Arrived
Oct 9, 2019 11:48 AM CDT
They Were Honoring Judaism's Holiest Day When Gunman Arrived
2 killed near synagogue in German city of Halle
- A suspect is in custody, but one or more others are believed to have fled, after a fatal shooting that appeared to target a German synagogue on Judaism's holiest day. Gunmen tried to enter the synagogue in the east-central city of Halle, where 70 to 80 worshipers had gathered...
Dayton Gunman's Parents:
We're Sorry for Obituary
Aug 15, 2019 7:52 AM CDT
Dayton Gunman's Parents: We're Sorry for Obituary
Death notice describing shooter as 'funny' and 'articulate' has been taken down
- It's natural to want to say flattering things about loved ones in their death notices. But the family of Connor Betts, the gunman who killed nine in Dayton, Ohio, earlier this month, is now apologizing for what they say was an "insensitive" obituary for him. The BBC reports...
Aug 12, 2019 2:50 PM CDT
Suspected Mosque Shooter Allegedly Killed Stepsister
Philip Manshaus was seen bruised and smirking in court
- A Norwegian man suspected of killing his stepsister and then storming an Oslo-area mosque with guns appeared in court Monday with a smirk on his bruised face. Security experts believe Philip Manshaus is the latest example of an extremist who was radicalized by far-right conspiracy theories spread online, particularly the...
Police Identify Armed Man
Arrested at Walmart
Aug 9, 2019 12:30 PM CDT
Police Identify Armed Man Arrested at Walmart
It's still not clear what charges Dmitriy Andreychenko will face
- We now know the identity of the man who set off a scare at a Missouri Walmart by walking in with a tactical rifle. But little else—including his motive and any possible charges—remain unclear. On Friday, police identified the man as 20-year-old Dmitriy Andreychenko, reports the AP . He...
A Highway Crash, Then
a Deadly Shooting
Aug 9, 2019 12:06 PM CDT
A Highway Crash, Then a Deadly Shooting
Suspect, accomplice are still at large in Houston in deaths of 2
- A man believed to have killed two people in a brazen highway shooting in Houston on Thursday remains at large, along with an accomplice. Police said Friday that no arrests had been made following the shooting, in which an AR-15 rifle may have been used, per the
Dayton Gunman Left Bar
45 Minutes Before Sister
Aug 7, 2019 10:25 AM CDT
Dayton Gunman Left Bar 45 Minutes Before Sister
CNN has the security camera footage
- Less than two hours before killing nine people in Dayton, Ohio, 24-year-old Connor Betts went out to a bar. Video footage from Blind Bob's bar shows Betts entering around 11:09pm Saturday, CNN reports, noting the camera clock is 11 minutes fast. Betts, who'd also been at the...
Cops Thought They
Killed Garlic Fest
Aug 3, 2019 7:30 AM CDT
Cops Thought They Killed Garlic Fest Gunman. Coroner Says Otherwise
Santino William Legan took his own life, medical examiner finds
- The gunman who killed three young people at the Gilroy Garlic Festival in Northern California on Sunday wasn't killed by police, as originally reported. That from the Santa Clara County medical examiner, who now says that 19-year-old Santino William Legan killed himself, the
Los Angeles Times
reports. Legan died...
What Really Happened
During Gay Pride Panic
Jun 9, 2019 4:05 PM CDT
What Really Happened During Gay Pride Panic
Police say a man threatened someone with a BB gun
- A man threatened another person with a BB gun during an LGBTQ pride parade in the nation's capital and set off a panic that sent hundreds of people, who mistakenly believed gunshots were fired, running in fear, police said Sunday, per the AP . Aftabjit Singh, 38, was arrested on...
7 Families Sue
Nov 29, 2018 9:35 AM CST
7 Families Sue Suspected School Shooter's Parents
They didn't do enough to keep guns away from Dimitrios Pagourtzis: suit
- Sabika Sheikh's parents saw it as an opportunity. Sending their daughter to the US as an exchange student from Pakistan could give her a leg up in a later career in business or diplomacy , Abdul Aziz and Farah Naz thought. Three weeks before she was to complete her school...
University Has Interesting Idea
for Defense Against Shooters
Nov 28, 2018 11:58 AM CST
University Has Interesting Idea for Defense Against Shooters
School hands out hockey pucks to students for self-defense
- Michigan's Oakland University came up with an unlikely idea for self-defense against an active shooter: hockey pucks. While training faculty members back in March on what to do should a gunman come into their classroom, Police Chief Mark Gordon advised them to be ready to throw something at the...
Argument in the Parking Lot,
a Gunshot, Then 30 More
Nov 21, 2018 12:16 PM CST
Argument in the Parking Lot, a Gunshot, Then 30 More
Witnesses, police detail what happened in Chicago Mercy Hospital shooting
- Moments before her ex-fiance fatally shot her in the parking lot of the hospital where she worked, a Chicago doctor called 911 to report that she had spotted the man and feared for her life. As investigators tried to piece together the events that ended with the deaths of the...
Armed Dad Takes Out Masked
Gunman at McDonald's
Oct 30, 2018 7:56 AM CDT
Armed Dad Takes Out Masked Gunman at McDonald's
Worker at Ala. McDonald's describes incident in which pistol-toting customer took out gunman
- A man with a firearm may have stopped a burglary, or perhaps something worse, at an Alabama McDonald's. The man, who hasn't been named, was leaving the fast-food eatery in Birmingham with his two sons at around 10:45pm Saturday, report Fox News and AL.com . WBRC notes...
'Despicable Act' in Toronto:
Gunman Shoots 14, Killing 2
Jul 23, 2018 6:24 AM CDT
'Despicable Act' in Toronto: Gunman Shoots 14, Killing 2
The unidentified gunman is also dead
- Terror struck the Greektown neighborhood of Toronto on Sunday, when a gunman walking the street shot 14 people, killing two . The
Globe & Mail
reports the unidentified 29-year-old gunman struck along Danforth Avenue, where he fired at both pedestrians and restaurant patrons with a handgun around 10pm. He died in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Gunman Sent Message: 'Going to Shoot Elementary School'
'She Is Gone,' Texas Man Sobbed Into Phone
Details Emerge About Teen Shooter in Texas
Beto O'Rourke Interrupts Abbott's Press Conference
Senator's Angry, Heartbroken Speech on Texas School Shooting Goes Viral
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.