Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Missionary Workers: Unknown
Person Paid Ransom to Free Us
Jan 6, 2022 6:06 AM CST
Missionary Workers: Unknown Person Paid Ransom to Free Us
Only 3 were initially released in deal meant to free all after gang reneged, CAM workers say
An unidentified person paid a ransom that freed three missionaries kidnapped by a gang in Haiti under an agreement that was supposed to have led to the release of all 15 remaining captives early last month, workers for the Ohio-based group confirm, per the AP . The person who made...
Missing Student Found
in Suspect's Coal Room
Dec 20, 2021 1:10 PM CST
Missing Student Found in Suspect's Coal Room
Police in Utah say Madelyn Allen was held against her will for several days
- Police in Utah say a man was taken into custody Saturday night after a student who had been missing since Monday was found in his basement coal room, naked and covered in coal. Candlelight vigils planned for Sunday at Snow College became "gatherings of gratitude" after police confirmed that...
in case you missed it
Dec 11, 2021 5:25 PM CST
After Father's 14-Year Search, Abducted Boy Is Found
Chinese couple had been looking for Sun Zhuo since he was taken in 2007
- The story of their quest for their missing son inspired a hit 2014 movie. Now, seven years later, a cinematic ending. CNN reports that a couple who've searched the ends of China for their boy since 2007 were reunited with him on Monday. Sun Zhuo, now 18, was taken...
Haitian Gang Frees 3 Abducted
Members of US Charity
Dec 6, 2021 10:00 AM CST
Haitian Gang Frees 3 Abducted Members of US Charity
But 12 from Christian Aid Ministries remain kidnapped
Three more missionaries from a US-based charity have been released by their kidnappers in Haiti, reports the
. That leaves 12 members of Christian Aid Ministries still in captivity. All 17 were kidnapped by the 400 Mawozo gang in October. Five children were among those taken, though no...
Cops: Man Killed Girlfriend
a Day After Her Ultrasound
Nov 23, 2021 10:15 AM CST
Cops: Man Killed Girlfriend a Day After Her Ultrasound
Kwanmaine Boyd reportedly said 'he did not want any more children'
- A Texas man is charged with killing his girlfriend one day after an ultrasound confirmed she was pregnant. Cavanna Smith, a 25-year-old teacher, was found to be about four and a half weeks pregnant at an Oct. 5 ultrasound appointment, which her sister, Brittany Wilson, attended. Smith was nervous and...
'Hero' Hotel Clerk Saves
Rape Victim, After a Nod
Nov 23, 2021 8:03 AM CST
'Hero' Hotel Clerk Saves Rape Victim, After a Nod
Cincinnati suspect Onjre Damon George then failed to jump out a window: cops
- A man accused of kidnapping and raping a woman tried to jump out a sixth-floor hotel room window while being questioned by Ohio police—only to bounce back. Police responded to a hotel in the Cincinnati suburb of Blue Ash on Sunday after a front desk attendant requested a welfare...
Ex-Cop Kidnapped His Young
Daughters. All Ended Up Dead
Nov 19, 2021 6:41 AM CST
Ex-Cop Kidnapped His Young Daughters. All Ended Up Dead
Tragic ending to Maryland case
- A former Baltimore County Police officer allegedly attacked his ex-wife and kidnapped his young daughters Sunday, and as authorities closed in on them, the case came to a tragic end. Robert Vicosa, his alleged accomplice Tia Bynum, and 6- and 7-year-olds Giana and Aaminah Vicosa were found dead Thursday afternoon,...
Teen: She Lied
Nov 13, 2021 7:30 AM CST
Prosecutor on 'Kidnapped' Teen: She Lied
17-year-old turned up bloody at French eatery after vanishing 24 hours earlier, claiming an abduction
She wasn't abducted after all. A 17-year-old who vanished during a run, then turned up bloody 24 hours later at an eatery in western France, claiming she'd been kidnapped by two men, has now admitted she made the whole thing up, reports the BBC . Local prosecutor Celine...
Gang Leader Threatens
to Kill Missionaries in Haiti
Oct 21, 2021 4:20 PM CDT
Gang Leader Threatens to Kill Missionaries in Haiti
Ohio group asks for prayers for kidnappers and victims
- The leader of the 400 Mawozo gang that police say is holding 17 members of a missionary group is seen in a video released Thursday saying he will kill them if he doesn't get what he’s demanding . The video posted on social media shows Wilson Joseph dressed in...
Kidnappers of Americans
in Haiti Make Their Demand
Oct 19, 2021 8:35 AM CDT
Kidnappers of Americans in Haiti Make Their Demand
The group called 400 Mawozo wants $17M, $1M for each person taken
- The Haitian group that kidnapped 16 American missionaries and another from Canada has named its price—it wants $17M, or $1 million for each person taken, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. Now the negotiating begins as more light is shed on what happened. Details:
All those kidnapped are Mennonites
Harrowing Message Reported
Kidnapping in Haiti
Oct 18, 2021 6:22 AM CDT
Harrowing Message Reported During Americans' Kidnapping in Haiti
'Pray for us!' said WhatsApp message during abduction of 17 missionaries in Haiti
- US officials are working with Haitian authorities to secure the release of 12 adults and five children with a US-based missionary group who were abducted over the weekend by a gang notorious for killings, kidnappings, and extortion. The group was snatched by the 400 Mawozo gang, which controls the Croix-des-Bouquets...
Haiti Gang Kidnaps 17 US
Missionaries, Including Kids
Oct 17, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
Haiti Gang Kidnaps 17 US Missionaries, Including Kids
The Christian group was on a bus headed to the airport
- A group of up to 17 US missionaries from a Christian group was kidnapped by a gang in Haiti while en route to the airport in Port-au-Prince. Per the
New York Times
, Haiti officials confirmed the kidnapping, with few details, after Ohio-based Christian Aid Ministries sent a voice message about...
Police: Case of Mistaken
Ride-Sharing Car Ended in Rape
Oct 5, 2021 12:29 PM CDT
Police: Case of Mistaken Ride-Sharing Car Ended in Rape
Suspect has been arrested in connection with May incident in Nashville
- More than four months after a woman says she was kidnapped in Nashville and raped by a man she wrongly thought was a ride-share driver, police say an arrest has been made. Randall Corey Johnson, of Lebanon, Tenn., has been charged in connection with the May 24 incident, reports the...
While Trying to
Reach US, Things
Took a Gruesome Turn
Oct 3, 2021 1:05 PM CDT
While Trying to Reach US, Things Took a Gruesome Turn
Smugglers handed David Sanabria and his daughter over to kidnappers
- In November 2020, Hurricanes Eta and Iota took everything from David Sanabria and his young daughter Ximena in their native Honduras. With the crops they relied on for survival destroyed, the 32-year-old worked out a plan with his brother Denis, who lived in Nashville. As Noticias Telemundo Investiga reporter Juan...
Life Will Mean Life for
Sarah Everard Killer
Sep 30, 2021 6:40 AM CDT
Life Will Mean Life for Sarah Everard Killer
Wayne Couzens given whole-life tariff
: Former Metropolitan Police officer Wayne Couzens has been given the longest sentence possible under British law for the murder of Sarah Everard. After a two-day hearing that involved harrowing details of Everard's final hours and devastating victim impact statements from her family, the 48-year-old was sentenced to a...
She's Been Missing Since 2020.
Now FBI Offers $10K For Info
Sep 19, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
She's Been Missing Since 2020. Now FBI Offers $10K For Info
Mary Johnson disappeared from the Tulalip Reservation in November
- The FBI is offering $10,000 for information that leads to the arrest of whoever is responsible for the disappearance of a Native American woman from Washington State. Per CNN , 40-year-old Mary Johnson was last seen on the Tulalip Reservation in late November. She was reportedly en route to a...
Girl Taken in 2007
Is Reunited With Mother
Sep 14, 2021 10:40 AM CDT
Girl Taken in 2007 Is Reunited With Mother
Police say Jacqueline Hernandez was brought to Mexico by her father
- The police department in Clermont, Fla., has taken the unusual step of releasing a photo of a mother hugging her daughter. But this was no ordinary hug. It shows Angelica Vences-Salgado embracing 19-year-old Jacqueline Hernandez in Laredo, Texas, near the border with Mexico, reports CBS News . The two hadn't...
Defendant in Plot
to Kidnap Governor
Aug 25, 2021 6:30 PM CDT
Defendant in Plot to Kidnap Governor Gets Prison
Judge goes light after prosecutors praise Ty Garbin's cooperation
- The only defendant to admit plotting to kidnap Michigan's governor last year was sentenced to prison on Wednesday. Ty Garbin, 25, was given a prison term of six years, three months in federal court in Grand Rapids, the
New York Times
reports. Prosecutors said Garbin was driven by anger...
Before His Death, Lawyer
Admits to Whopping Court Lie
in case you missed it
Aug 15, 2021 3:00 PM CDT
Before His Death, Lawyer Admits to Whopping Court Lie
2 men were exonerated in abduction of Seagram heir, but it appears they shouldn't have been
- It was a sensational case, and it appeared to be a slam dunk for prosecutors. Back in 1975, two men in Brooklyn were arrested and charged with kidnapping 21-year-old Samuel Bronfman, an heir to the Seagram Company fortune. The two suspects, Irish immigrants named Mel Lynch and Dominic Byrne, confessed,...
Millionaire's Plot to Kidnap Wife
Ends With 2 Drownings
in case you missed it
Aug 1, 2021 12:30 PM CDT
Millionaire's Plot to Kidnap Wife Ends With 2 Drownings
Pair of men hired to kidnap woman jumped into canal during police chase
- A Louisiana millionaire is facing up to 35 years in prison after plotting to kidnap his estranged wife at gunpoint. Lawrence Handley's plan did not go at all as he expected. After the two men he hired to kidnap his wife from the couples' south Lafayette home handcuffed her,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
FBI Searches Congressman's Home
Alec Baldwin Sued by Family of Fallen Marine
After Subway Push, Driver Stops With Inches to Spare
Report Incriminates Ex-Pope on Sex Abuse Cases
Tongans Celebrate 'Real Life Aquaman' Who Survived Tsunami
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.