Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
May 5, 2022 1:40 PM CDT
Israel: Putin Apologized Over Hitler Comment
Russia's foreign minister said Hitler had 'Jewish blood'
Israel says Vladimir Putin has apologized for his foreign minister's controversial remarks about Hitler, reports the BBC . Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett said Putin apologized during a phone call for the comments made by Sergey Lavrov that Hitler had "Jewish blood," like Ukraine's leader. Bennett...
Sue Over Thwarted
in the Gut'
Jan 21, 2022 8:54 AM CST
Jewish Couple Sue Over Thwarted Adoption: 'Punched in the Gut'
Tenn. husband and wife say Christian-based agency wouldn't help them due to their religion
- Two years ago, Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee signed a law giving religious adoption agencies the OK to refuse to place a child if doing so would buck its "written religious or moral convictions or policies," per the
Knoxville News Sentinel
. Now, the state is seeing its first lawsuit...
Jewish Man to
Death Is Antisemitic
Oct 13, 2021 3:24 PM CDT
Court: Judge Who Sentenced Jewish Man to Death Is Antisemitic
'Texas 7' member Randy Halprin may now get a new trial
- Randy Halprin was six days from execution when an appeals court granted a stay in 2019. Two years later, the 44-year-old is destined for a new trial after a Texas judge determined his 2003 death sentence for capital murder, delivered by former Dallas County District Judge Vickers Cunningham, was the...
Man Tries to Repay Village
That Hid His Family in WWII
Jan 30, 2021 5:05 PM CST
Man Tries to Repay Village That Hid His Family in WWII
Le Chambon-sur-Lignon, France, protected about 2,500 Jewish refugees
- Eric Schwam, his parents and grandmother arrived in Le Chambon-sur-Lignon, a small French village known for providing refuge since the 17th century— when it helped Huguenots escaping religious persecution—in 1943. A pastor and his wife had urged villagers to protect Jewish refugees from Nazi occupiers, as well as their...
Jul 28, 2020 8:47 AM CDT
Senate Contender Blasts Opponent's 'Anti-Semitic Trope'
Georgia GOP Sen. David Perdue says pic of Dem Jon Ossoff accidentally distorted his nose
- Election campaigning in Georgia took an ugly turn this week as the Democratic challenger to a sitting Republican senator accused the latter of running an anti-Semitic ad against him. The
reports that the campaign of GOP Sen. David Perdue nixed a Facebook ad that had been running since July...
on the Virus. It
Didn't Land Well
Apr 29, 2020 9:25 AM CDT
NYC Mayor Issued Warning on the Virus. It Didn't Land Well
Bill de Blasio accused of 'inviting anti-Semitism' after specifically cautioning 'the Jewish community'
- New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio was met with outrage Tuesday in urging communities to abide by social distancing guidelines in place due to the coronavirus pandemic. In a series of tweets, de Blasio said he'd personally dispersed a crowd of hundreds gathered to mourn a Hasidic rabbi...
Are Trying to
Infect 2 Groups
Mar 23, 2020 9:20 AM CDT
FBI: Extremists Are Trying to Infect 2 Groups With Virus
Alert says white supremacists, neo-Nazis are being encouraged to target Jews, cops
- While the world is hunkered down amid the coronavirus pandemic , the Jewish community and cops have an extra concern piled on: extremist groups out to do them harm by "trying to weaponize" the virus, as
puts it. Per an intelligence alert sent Thursday from the FBI's...
in 'Contagion of Hate'
Feb 23, 2020 4:00 PM CST
JCCs Threatened in 'Contagion of Hate'
New York state grapples with latest example of anti-Semitism
- New York state is reeling Sunday after bomb threats were made against 18 Jewish community centers,
reports. Over 100 people were evacuated from Albany's JCC as police officers swept the building with K-9 teams, but found no bomb. Michael Kopy, the state's director of emergency management,...
of 5 at NY
Dec 29, 2019 10:07 AM CST
Suspect Held in Stabbings of 5 at NY Hanukkah Celebration
Man apparently stormed Hanukkah celebration an hour north of NYC
- A suspect is in custody after a man attacked a Hanukkah celebration at a rabbi’s home north of New York City late Saturday, stabbing and wounding five people before fleeing in a vehicle, police said. Grafton E. Thomas, 37, of Greenwood Lake, will face five counts of attempted murder,...
Giuliani to Reporter: 'I'm More
of a Jew' Than George Soros
Dec 24, 2019 6:56 AM CST
Giuliani to Reporter: 'I'm More of a Jew' Than George Soros
President's lawyer also calls Hungarian-born philanthropist 'a horrible human being'
- Landing an interview with the president's lawyer over drinks results in quite the chat as Olivia Nuzzi can now attest, as her conversation with Rudy Giuliani for
magazine got controversial even before they got to their destination. During the car ride to NYC's Mark Hotel, Giuliani...
Diary of 'Polish
Anne Frank' Emerges
After 70 Years in Vault
Sep 13, 2019 1:56 PM CDT
Diary of 'Polish Anne Frank' Emerges After 70 Years in Vault
Heartbreaking journal from Jewish teen Renia Spiegel will be published on Sept. 24
- When Renia Spiegel was 15, she started keeping a diary. Now, 70 years later, the journal from the girl some call the "Polish Anne Frank" is set to be published. Per NBC News ,
Renia's Diary: a Holocaust Journal
will be out Sept. 24 after decades stashed in a...
Trump Unloads on Jews
Who Vote Democrat
Aug 20, 2019 5:26 PM CDT
Trump Unloads on Jews Who Vote Democrat
The president says it might be a case of 'disloyalty'
- Showing a fresh willingness to play politics along religious and racial lines, President Donald Trump said Tuesday that American Jewish people who vote for Democrats show "either a total lack of knowledge or great disloyalty." Trump's claim triggered a quick uproar from critics who said the president...
German Jews Warned Against
Wearing Skullcaps in Public
May 26, 2019 1:00 PM CDT
German Jews Warned Against Wearing Skullcaps in Public
Israel's president says he is shocked
- The German government's top official against anti-Semitism says he wouldn't advise Jews to wear skullcaps in parts of the country, the AP reports. Felix Klein was quoted in an interview with the Funke newspaper group published Saturday as saying that "my opinion has unfortunately changed compared with...
'Jackie Robinson' Is Dead
May 18, 2019 11:10 AM CDT
Jewish-American Fiction's 'Jackie Robinson' Is Dead
Herman Wouk was known for his lengthy historical novels
- Herman Wouk, who regaled millions with his bestselling novels about World War II and the Holocaust, died on Friday at his California home. He was 103, NPR reports. The author of sweeping historical novels like
The Winds of War
War and Remembrance
—as well as the Pulitzer-Prize winning
Gunman Kills 1, Wounds 3
in Passover Shooting
Apr 27, 2019 3:35 PM CDT
Gunman Kills 1, Wounds 3 in Passover Shooting
A suspect was detained near the crime scene
- A gunman opened fire in a California synagogue Saturday and took a woman's life in what authorities are calling a hate crime, the
New York Times
reports. The attacker—described as white, 19, and using an AR-style gun—also wounded three others, including the rabbi, who was shot in...
He Was High
and Mad. His
Mar 25, 2019 7:50 AM CDT
He Was High and Mad. His Crime: Toppling Jewish Headstones
Alzado Harris sentenced to probation for 2017 incident in University City, Missouri
- When Alzado Harris went to the Chesed Shel Emeth Cemetery in University City, Mo., in February 2017, he was inebriated, high on pot, and peeved at a friend. That's what led to his next act, he confessed to police, per the
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
: knocking over more than 100...
2 Separate Massacres,
2 Acts of Kindness
Out of Pittsburgh
Mar 18, 2019 9:25 AM CDT
2 Separate Massacres, 2 Acts of Kindness Out of Pittsburgh
Jewish group fundraises for NZ mosque victims after Muslims did the same for Tree of Life victims
- When the Tree of Life synagogue shooting took place last October, killing 11, Muslims in the Pittsburgh area rallied to raise hundreds of thousands of dollars for the victims and their families. Now, in the wake of the massacre at two Muslim mosques in New Zealand that has taken the...
Family: We Were Booted Off
Flight Because We're Jewish
Jan 25, 2019 8:21 AM CST
Family: We Were Booted Off Flight Because We're Jewish
American Airlines cites a different reason: body odor
- A family booted off an American Airlines flight while heading home from vacation says it was due to their religion, while the airline cites a completely different reason: an unpleasant scent. Per an American Airlines statement to Local 10 on Wednesday, Yossi Adler, wife Jennie Adler, and their toddler daughter...
Jewish Sect Kidnapped
New York Children: Report
Dec 29, 2018 12:15 PM CST
Jewish Sect Kidnapped New York Children: Report
Prosecutors charge 4 in late-night abduction
- Extremist sect, meet the FBI. Prosecutors have charged four men allegedly involved in kidnapping two New York state children in order to haul them down to an ultra-Orthodox Jewish group in Guatemala, the
reports. Seems Nachman Helbrans, 36, Mayer Rosner, 42, Jacob Rosner, 20—all of Guatemala—coordinated...
United in Fight Against
Trump, They're Now
Fighting Each Other
Dec 24, 2018 8:47 AM CST
United in Fight Against Trump, They're Now Fighting Each Other
Behind-the-scenes controversy for Women's March, with accusations of anti-Semitism, white supremacy
- It was one of the biggest marches in US history , and now there's a big controversy brewing behind the scenes. Held on Jan. 21, 2017, the day after President Trump's inauguration, the Women's March drew millions and spurred women nationwide to get into politics, rallying behind Dems...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Suspected 'Mass Fentanyl Poisoning Event' Kills 9 in Florida
How Parade Shooting Suspect Managed to Buy 5 Guns
Scathing Obit: 'It Will Be Challenging to Miss Lawrence'
Boys 'Shouldn't Have Been Able to Physically Do What They Did'
Amazon Prime Rolls Out a Big 'Thank You' to Customers
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.