Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Zuckerberg Just Expanded
His 'New Monarchy' in Hawaii
Dec 29, 2021 10:20 AM CST
Zuckerberg Just Expanded His 'New Monarchy' in Hawaii
He spends $17M to add 110 more acres to his estate
- Mark Zuckerberg just added even more property to his Hawaii compound, a site that's been embroiled in controversy since he began scooping up land there in 2014. The
reports the 37-year-old CEO of Facebook parent company Meta and his wife, Priscilla Chan, have dropped $17 million to tack...
Artist: 'Metaverse' Insta Handle
Blocked After FB Name Change
Dec 14, 2021 9:25 AM CST
Artist: 'Metaverse' Insta Handle Blocked After FB Name Change
Australia's Thea-Mai Baumann used the 'metaverse' handle, then suddenly got blocked
- For nearly a decade, Thea-Mai Baumann, once the owner of an augmented-reality company called Metaverse Makeovers, used the Instagram handle "metaverse" to showcase her creative work. Last month, however, the Australian artist says she suddenly wasn't able to access her Insta, and she suspects Facebook's recent rebranding...
Facebook to Delete
Faceprints of 1B Users
Nov 2, 2021 12:47 PM CDT
Facebook to Delete Faceprints of 1B Users
Company is shutting down its facial-recognition system
- Facebook said Tuesday it will shut down its face-recognition system and delete the faceprints of more than 1 billion people, per the AP . The move comes as the company has come under intense scrutiny for causing harm with its technology. “This change will represent one of the largest shifts...
Internet Delights in Mocking
Facebook's New Name
Oct 29, 2021 7:06 AM CDT
Internet Delights in Mocking Facebook's New Name
'Changing name to Meat,' Wendy's quips
- Facebook has been accused of driving people apart—but commentators were near-unified in mocking the company after CEO Mark Zuckerberg revealed its new virtual-reality focused name Thursday. There were countless jokes about the name Meta, as well as concerns about what Zuckerberg is planning for what he calls the "...
Oct 27, 2021 7:00 AM CDT
Former Zuckerberg Household Employees Sue
They allege racist, homophobic harassment by family's former head of security
- Two former household employees of Mark Zuckerberg and Priscilla Chan are now suing the Facebook founder and his wife. Both their former security operations assistant (Mia King, who is Black) and their former household operations manager (an unnamed John Doe who is gay and has a disability) filed lawsuits, alleging...
Zuckerberg Fires Back in
Announcing $9B Earnings
Oct 25, 2021 7:30 PM CDT
Zuckerberg Fires Back in Announcing $9B Earnings
Facebook CEO says younger users will become the priority
- Facebook delivered a third-quarter earnings report Monday that exceeded analysts' expectations, though revenue was off. The company reported, per MarketWatch :
. Facebook said quarterly earnings hit $9.19 billion for the quarter, or $3.22 a share; that figure was $2.71 a share a year ago.
Facebook May Not Be
Facebook Much Longer
Oct 20, 2021 9:25 AM CDT
Facebook May Not Be Facebook Much Longer
Per Verge report, Zuckerberg may announce name change next week for parent company
- If Facebook was trying to spin attention away from its recent woes by stirring up talk of its planned "metaverse" on Monday, Tuesday brought more of the same. This time, the whispers emerge from the Verge , which late last night cited a source claiming that CEO Mark Zuckerberg will...
Behold, Facebook Is
Building a 'Metaverse'
Oct 19, 2021 9:20 AM CDT
Behold, Facebook Is Building a 'Metaverse'
Company touts concept of a massive shared virtual world, but critics have some questions
- In his 1992 sci-fi novel,
, Neal Stephenson mentions a concept called the "Metaverse," a giant, shared virtual world combining augmented reality with virtual reality, where users appear as avatars and access this new world via special goggles. Facebook is now ready to bring that idea to...
Oct 6, 2021 7:21 AM CDT
Zuckerberg Finally Speaks Out on Facebook Whistleblower
CEO posts lengthy memo defending company against scathing claims by Frances Haugen
- Amid what's been a tumultuous week for Facebook , Mark Zuckerberg took some time out Tuesday from sailing to address allegations by a whistleblower that have rocked the social media platform. "Many of the claims don't make any sense," the 37-year-old CEO said in a company memo...
Its News Feed,
Sep 16, 2021 9:10 AM CDT
Facebook Tweaked Its News Feed, Saw 'Unhealthy Side Effects'
Internal docs show 2018 changes to enhance user engagement made things angrier, more polarizing
- Facebook execs likely aren't looking forward to the latest copies of the
Wall Street Journal
. Earlier this week, the paper published a damning story about Instagram on the platform's harmful effects on teen users (and how the parent company knew about it), as well as an article on...
Even Facebook CEO Must Pay
the Dog Tax When Posting
Jul 17, 2021 10:40 AM CDT
Even Facebook CEO Must Pay the Dog Tax When Posting
Mark Zuckerberg dropped into a dog group without posting a picture of his adorable puli sheepdog, Beast
- You have to take Facebook rules seriously. Even—especially—if you’re CEO and co-founder Mark Zuckerberg. That’s a truth members of the immensely popular Dogspotting Society Facebook group were quick to point out when Zuck himself dropped in with a guest post. The problem? The group rules firmly...
Authors Say Trump Era Drove
Zuckerberg, Sandberg Apart
Jul 8, 2021 12:38 PM CDT
Authors Say Trump Era Drove Zuckerberg, Sandberg Apart
Facebook's No. 1, No. 2 disagreed over policy on misinformation, new book says
- Over 13 years, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg and COO Sheryl Sandberg have built one of the world's most powerful companies—but their close working relationship did not survive Donald Trump's presidency, according to a
New York Times
report adapted from upcoming book
An Ugly Truth: Inside Facebook’s
July 4 Post
Was ... Interesting
Jul 5, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
Mark Zuckerberg's July 4 Post Was ... Interesting
Facebook CEO's somewhat bizarre Instagram video intrigued the internet
- Amid a sea of July 4 social media posts, Mark Zuckerberg's stood out. The Facebook CEO posted an Independence Day greeting Sunday on Instagram , and while his caption was simple and straightforward—"Happy July 4th!"—the video he put up alongside it has reached "meme-worthy"...
Zuckerberg No Longer
One of Glassdoor's Top CEOs
Jun 16, 2021 10:15 AM CDT
Zuckerberg No Longer One of Glassdoor's Top CEOs
He's off the Top 100 list for the first time since it debuted in 2013
- Since 2013, Mark Zuckerberg has been a staple on Glassdoor's annual ranking of the top 100 CEOs. No more. Bloomberg reports he was booted from the 2021 list due to a sinking approval rating among employees. Some 700 of Facebook's 60,000 employees were surveyed—they simply chose...
Pink Floyd Co-Founder Has
Harsh Words for Zuckerberg
Jun 15, 2021 6:41 AM CDT
Pink Floyd Co-Founder Has Harsh Words for Zuckerberg
Roger Waters calls Facebook CEO a 'little prick' after offer to use song
- Pink Floyd co-founder and bassist Roger Waters had a strong reaction to Facebook's request to use one of the band's songs in an ad promoting Instagram: "F--- you. No f---ing way." Waters went into detail about the offer during a Thursday event in honor of Julian...
Most FB Workers
for Perk That's
Made CEO 'Happier'
Jun 10, 2021 7:45 AM CDT
Most FB Workers Now Eligible for Perk That's Made CEO 'Happier'
Company to allow most employees option to work remotely
- Businesses across America are starting to more fully reopen and transition back to in-person operations, and Facebook is no exception. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that the social media giant will be opening the bulk of its US offices to half capacity in September, with a full opening set for...
New iPhone Feature Adds
to Zuckerberg-Cook Tension
Apr 27, 2021 4:39 PM CDT
New iPhone Feature Adds to Zuckerberg-Cook Tension
Users can choose to not allow tracking for ad purposes, striking at Facebook's model
- A new privacy feature released Monday reflects the widening gulf between Facebook and Apple—and their leaders. The feature makes iPhone owners choose whether to let apps like Facebook track them across other apps, a practice that's central to targeting users with tailored ad content. Should iPhone users reject...
See If Your Phone Number
Was in the Facebook Hack
Apr 6, 2021 8:06 AM CDT
See If Your Phone Number Was in the Facebook Hack
Zuckerberg's was. Find out with 2 easy-to-use tools
- There's an easy way to find out whether your phone number was leaked along with Mark Zuckerberg's over the weekend . Hacked data from more than half a million Facebook users was posted for free to a website frequented by hackers on Saturday, CNN reports. That included names, locations,...
Twitter Might Want
to Think This Through
Jan 9, 2021 5:10 PM CST
Twitter Might Want to Think This Through
Columnist writes the implications are many, surely, but unclear
- Twitter's decision to permanently bar President Trump is in opposition to a decades-long movement to banish media filters. It raises many questions, John Harris writes in Politico , and he poses the first one to Twitter itself: "Are you sure about this?" The implications of Twitter's move aren'...
SF Supervisors Want to
Rename Zuckerberg Hospital
Dec 17, 2020 10:45 AM CST
SF Supervisors Want to Rename Zuckerberg Hospital
They accuse Facebook of 'endangering public health' with COVID misinformation
- A $75 million donation to a hospital wasn't enough to earn Mark Zuckerberg a like from the San Francisco Board of Supervisors. The board voted 10-1 this week to condemn the naming of Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital after the Facebook founder, Business Insider reports. The hospital's full...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Centuries Ago, We Slept Much Differently
Schwarzenegger in Multi-Vehicle Accident
Mom's Remarks Over Face Masks Lead to Charges
Clarence Thomas' Wife the Focus of Critical New Profile
Passengers in NC Plane Landing Got a Wild Ride
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.