Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Calls for Help
Oct 3, 2022 11:43 AM CDT
After Late-Night Fatal Crash, an iPhone Calls for Help
Police haven't determined what caused accident in Lincoln, Nebraska
- A passenger's cellphone automatically alerted responders after a car hit a tree early Sunday in a Nebraska crash that killed all six of the vehicle's young occupants, authorities said. Five men in the Honda Accord died at the scene of the crash around 2:15am in Lincoln, about...
This Is the Happiest
State in America
Sep 20, 2022 11:26 AM CDT
This Is the Happiest State in America
Hawaii tops WalletHub's list; West Virginia lands at the bottom
- Happiness is said to be a state of mind—but what state you're in could affect that state. WalletHub wanted to find out where people in the US are at their most content, especially in the wake of the worst of the pandemic and amid new stressors like inflation....
In Nebraska, Canal Water
Mysteriously Goes Missing
Aug 26, 2022 1:09 PM CDT
In Nebraska, Canal Water Mysteriously Goes Missing
Someone opened a dam on an irrigation channel one night this month
- Authorities in Nebraska are trying to determine who released 16 million gallons of water by opening a dam on an irrigation channel one night this month—and why. The puzzling water release from the Cambridge Canal reduced the flow to some 18,000 acres of crops and jeopardized expensive irrigation...
Officials: Brain-Eating Amoeba
Likely Killed Nebraska Boy
Aug 19, 2022 4:20 AM CDT
Officials: Brain-Eating Amoeba Likely Killed Nebraska Boy
Warming waters may be helping parasite spread in Midwest
- A child likely died from a rare infection caused by a brain-eating amoeba after swimming in an eastern Nebraska river, health officials said. It's the second such probable death in the Midwest this summer and one that raises the question of whether climate change is playing a role. The...
Meta Wants to
'Correct Record' in
Aug 11, 2022 5:20 PM CDT
Meta Wants to 'Correct Record' in Abortion Case
Company says warrant for Facebook messages didn't mention abortion
- There was an angry backlash against Facebook this week after it emerged that it had turned over private messages that led to a felony abortion-related charge against a Nebraska mother—but its parent company says reporting on the case was "plain wrong." In a statement, Meta said it...
Nebraska Mom, Daughter
Charged After Teen's Abortion
Aug 10, 2022 2:00 AM CDT
Nebraska Mom, Daughter Charged After Teen's Abortion
Prosecutors say mom helped her daughter end pregnancy
- A Nebraska woman has been charged with helping her teenage daughter end her pregnancy at about 24 weeks after investigators uncovered Facebook messages in which the two discussed using medication to induce an abortion and plans to burn the fetus afterward, the AP reports. The prosecutor handling the case said...
Arrest Made After
4 Found Dead
in 2 Burning Homes
Aug 5, 2022 1:15 PM CDT
Arrest Made After 4 Found Dead in 2 Burning Homes
Quadruple homicide has stunned small Nebraska town of Laurel
- Police in Nebraska say an arrest has been made in the deaths of four people who were found dead in two burning homes in a small town. After receiving a 911 call around 3am Thursday about an explosion and fire in Laurel, a town of around 1,000 people in...
The Business Climate
Is Tops in This State
Jul 15, 2022 11:37 AM CDT
The Business Climate Is Tops in This State
North Carolina comes out on top in CNBC survey of best, worst US states for business
- Looking to close a deal? Conducting business and staying competitive can prove a challenging endeavor, but in some states, the business world is booming. CNBC has released its 15th annual "America's Top States for Business" survey to help point movers and shakers in the right direction. It scores...
State Party Split Over
Trump Ousts Leader
Jul 10, 2022 4:10 PM CDT
State Party Split Over Trump Ousts Leader
Chairman is voted out over complaints state party favored primary candidate
- A divided Republican Party in Nebraska, unable to agree on the party's direction or former President Trump, will try to mend with new leadership. Delegates to the state convention voted to remove Chairman Dan Welch on Saturday, the
reports, and most of the party's other leaders,...
They Heard 'Buzzing' in Wall.
Out Came 6K Bees
Jun 22, 2022 11:27 AM CDT
They Heard 'Buzzing' in Wall. Out Came 6K Bees
Omaha couple chose to safely relocate the pollinators
- Thomas and Marylu Gouttierre knew they had a problem when they put their ears to the walls of their home and heard buzzing. It wasn't the kind to come from a furnace on the fritz, but rather the buzz of thousands of bees. About 6,000 bees were recently...
2 States Fear
the Other Has
Designs on River
Jun 12, 2022 4:05 PM CDT
2 States Fear the Other Has Designs on River
Nebraska and Colorado have shared the South Platte's water for 99 years
- Since 1923, Nebraska and Colorado have shared the water of the South Platte River in harmony. Now both states are worried that the other is trying to get the jump on the river water, the
Wall Street Journal
reports, in a split that could end up in court. It began...
Upon Fugitive's Arrest, 'the
Only Thing to Do Was Smile'
in case you missed it
Jun 12, 2022 8:28 AM CDT
Upon Fugitive's Arrest, 'the Only Thing to Do Was Smile'
'Atavist' examines the wild life of Howard Farley Jr., former Nebraska drug king
- The life of Howard Farley has been irresistible fodder for writers since Farley's dramatic 2020 arrest in Florida at age 66. Dramatic because everybody in Florida—including his Vietnamese wife—knew Farley as "Tim Brown." Friends and neighbors didn't know that Farley assumed his "Brown"...
2 Dead, 19 Hurt in
Crash on 'Cruise Night'
May 30, 2022 9:58 AM CDT
2 Dead, 19 Hurt in Crash on 'Cruise Night'
Cars hit crowd in Lincoln, Nebraska
- A crash in Nebraska's capital left two dead and 19 others hospitalized, including many pedestrians, authorities said. The two people who were killed had been inside one of the cars involved in the Sunday night crash, the Lincoln Police Department tweeted early Monday morning. Police said the victims were...
He's the No. 1 Josh
in America. Again
May 23, 2022 9:19 AM CDT
He's the No. 1 Josh in America. Again
Jokey battle of the Joshes turns into charity event for 2nd straight year
- A couple of hundred people grabbed their pool noodles and headed to a Nebraska park again this weekend to battle over the right to the name Josh, per the AP . The event started as an online joke when Josh Swain from Tucson, Ariz., sent out a tweet challenging anyone who...
in Race Goes Viral
May 12, 2022 1:32 PM CDT
7-Year-Old's Victory in Race Goes Viral
Talaya Crawford ran out of her shoe, retrieved it, then resumed running
- Talaya Crawford may be the daughter of champion boxer Terence "Bud" Crawford, but she established herself as an athlete in her own right Saturday during a 200-meter track race in Nebraska. The 7-year-old finished first in the pack—but it was what happened at the start of the race...
Trump Dealt One Win,
One 'High-Profile Loss'
May 11, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
Trump Dealt One Win, One 'High-Profile Loss'
Charles Herbster loses bid for Nebraska governor, while Alex Mooney wins in WVa's 2nd District
- Former President Trump took a hit in Nebraska on Tuesday. Voters in the state's Republican gubernatorial primary chose University of Nebraska regent Jim Pillen over State Sen. Brett Lindstrom and Charles Herbster, a Trump-backed businessman and rancher who faced allegations of sexual misconduct from eight women, including state Republican...
2 Races Are
May 10, 2022 11:23 AM CDT
In Tuesday Primaries, 2 Races Are Trump Tests
Former president backing Alex Mooney in West Virginia and Charles Herbster in Nebraska
- It's another primary day in America, and much of the attention is again focused on a man whose name is not on any ballot—Donald Trump. Candidates backed by the former president—notably Ohio Senate hopeful JD Vance —did well in last week's primaries in Ohio and...
for Sheriff Was
in a Hurry to
Get to Parade
May 8, 2022 2:25 PM CDT
Candidate for Sheriff Was in a Hurry to Get to Parade
George Merithew was clocked going 107, police say
- A candidate for sheriff in eastern Nebraska was ticketed for speeding after he was spotted driving over 100 mph. An Omaha police report says George Merithew was going 107mph in a 65mph zone along Interstate 80 in Omaha on Saturday morning, the AP reports. He was on his way to...
Mar 29, 2022 7:22 AM CDT
Neb. Lawmaker Apologizes for Believing 'Ugly Rumor'
State Sen. Bruce Bostelman believed claim schools were putting out litter boxes for 'furry' students
- School custodians probably wouldn't want to add "empty litter boxes" to their daily to-do list, and luckily they don't have to—because students using litter boxes in school is not an actual thing. One Nebraska lawmaker is finally acknowledging that, and offering a public apology, after spreading...
Says He'll Resign
Mar 26, 2022 5:00 PM CDT
Convicted Congressman Says He'll Resign
GOP's Ken Fortenberry was found guilty of lying to federal officials
: Republican Rep. Jeff Fortenberry announced Saturday that he's resigning from Congress, two days after his conviction in federal court. "Due to the difficulties of my current circumstances, I can no longer serve you effectively," he said in a statement, KETV reports. The nine-term Nebraska congressman's...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Brittney Griner Freed by Russia, but at a 'Heavy Price'
Man Who Stood Up Wife at Airport Found 10 Years Later
Restaurant Axed Reservation After Staff Looked Up Group
Palace 'Might Be Relieved' by Harry & Meghan Series
Release May Be a Reward for Viktor Bout Keeping 'His Cool'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.