Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
New York County Bans
From Public Places
Mar 26, 2019 7:01 PM CDT
New York County Bans Unvaccinated Kids From Public Places
Rockland County declares emergency
- Measles cases are spiking in the US , and one area is taking a big stand: New York's Rockland County has declared a state of emergency over an outbreak that has seen 153 cases since October, and is banning unvaccinated minors from public places. Anyone under 18 who has not...
More Measles, CDC Says
Mar 26, 2019 7:06 AM CDT
Anti-Vax Repercussions: More Measles, CDC Says
US has 314 cases documented so far this year, not far behind the 372 cases in all of 2018
- Last year, there were 372 cases of measles reported in the US, the second-highest number in more than 20 years—which is why this year's numbers just through the first three months have health officials concerned. The CDC notes that between Jan. 1 and March 21, 314 measles cases...
Parents Fight 'Irrational' Rule on
Measles, Judge Pushes Back
Mar 14, 2019 8:17 AM CDT
Parents Fight 'Irrational' Rule on Measles, Judge Pushes Back
NY officials say 'exclusion order' stops spread of disease; judge agrees
- No measles cases have been confirmed at the Green Meadow Waldorf School—and health officials in Rockland County, NY, where there's been an "unprecedented" outbreak, want to keep it that way. A federal judge agreed Tuesday, denying a request by parents of more than three dozen unvaccinated kids...
Man Busted for
to Squeeze In
Mar 7, 2019 6:42 AM CST
Man Busted for Breaking Quarantine to Squeeze In a Workout
Wisconsin's Jeffery Murawski allegedly was 'going crazy' during measles mandate
- Possible contagious disease be damned—some people just can't miss shoulder day. NBC News reports on charges filed last month against Wisconsin man Jeffery Murawski, who'd been quarantined for measles in his Brookfield home last year but allegedly broke that quarantine to go to Gold's Gym. ABC...
This Country Was Done With
Measles. Then the Boy Arrived
in case you missed it
Mar 2, 2019 2:45 PM CST
This Country Was Done With Measles. Then the Boy Arrived
5-year-old French tourist in the country has the disease
- A French family arrived in Costa Rica last Monday and put an end to Costa Rica's measles-free status: No citizen there has contracted the disease since 2006, and the last time a foreigner brought it to the country was in 2014. The
reports that a 5-year-old boy was...
Busy Airport, ER
Mar 1, 2019 11:09 AM CST
Measles Patient Passed Through Busy Airport, ER
If you were in Chicago's Midway Airport on Feb. 22, you might want to read this
- A person who visited a Chicago airport and hospital last week had the measles, the Illinois Department of Public Health says—meaning those who were in the same locations at the same time could possibly be infected. The
reports that the unidentified Illinois resident came in to Midway...
Family's Trip to Vietnam
Leaves Unpleasant Souvenir
in case you missed it
Feb 23, 2019 9:30 AM CST
Family's Trip to Vietnam Leaves Unpleasant Souvenir
Canadian dad of 3 boys showing measles symptoms said they weren't vaccinated
- A Canadian father now realizes that a long-held belief isn't true, but that hasn't stopped his three sons from ending up in the middle of a measles outbreak in Vancouver. Emmanuel Bilodeau tells the CBC that when his children were born more than a decade ago, he and...
Facebook Considers Change
as Measles Cases Spread
Feb 15, 2019 4:53 PM CST
Facebook Considers Change as Measles Cases Spread
Anti-vaccination content could be toned down
- With cases of the measles spreading in Washington state, Facebook says it will try to reduce the spread of misinformation about health, especially vaccinations, on its platform. Facebook tells
it is looking into making anti-vaccination content less visible and has "taken steps" to reduce false health news...
White House Official's Wife
Takes Flak for Measles Posts
Feb 14, 2019 3:45 AM CST
White House Official's Wife Takes Flak for Measles Posts
'Bring back our #ChildhoodDiseases,' Darla Shine tweets
- The wife of a top White House aide is taking flak for a series of anti-vaccination—and pro-measles—posts on social media. Darla Shine, wife of White House communications chief Bill Shine, started tweeting in response to a CNN segment on the measles outbreak in Washington and Oregon, calling it...
In Anti-Vax 'Hotspot,'
Measles Outbreak Spreads
Jan 30, 2019 12:19 AM CST
In Anti-Vax 'Hotspot,' Measles Outbreak Spreads
Oregon, Washington now have 35 cases
- A measles outbreak near Portland has now sickened 35 people in Oregon and Washington, with 11 more cases suspected. Thirty-one of the patients had not been vaccinated against measles, and the status of four others who were infected is not known. One child has been hospitalized. Washington state's Clark...
19 Sick in This State's
Jan 19, 2019 9:15 AM CST
19 Sick in This State's Measles Outbreak
Public health emergency declared in Clark County, Wash.
- A public health emergency was declared Friday in Washington state's Clark County, and it's due to a measles outbreak. Per CNN , a Clark County Public Health release notes that, since Jan. 1, the department has IDed 19 confirmed cases of the highly contagious disease, as well as seven...
More 'Sick' Planes Are in the
News. This Time It's Measles
Sep 7, 2018 1:30 PM CDT
More 'Sick' Planes Are in the News. This Time It's Measles
Passengers on 4 Southwest flights in Texas warned they may have been exposed to disease
- First Emirates , then American , and now Southwest. All three airlines this week have had passengers or crew stricken by illness, and the latest episode involves the measles. NBC DFW reports that Southwest Airlines is working with the CDC to get in touch with passengers who were on four Southwest flights...
Anti-Vaxxer Nurse Fired for
Post About Measles Patient
Aug 29, 2018 8:14 AM CDT
Anti-Vaxxer Nurse Fired for Post About Measles Patient
It included 'protected health information,' says Texas Children's Hospital
- A Texas Children's Hospital nurse is out of a job after posting about a toddler who tested positive for measles on an anti-vaccination Facebook page. Identifying herself as a "nonvaxxer" on a since-removed page called Proud Parents of Unvaccinated Children-Texas, the woman wrote Friday that she'd seen...
Dozens Dead in
EU in 'Astounding'
Aug 21, 2018 8:17 AM CDT
Dozens Dead in EU in 'Astounding' Measles Outbreak
There's been an uptick in US, too
- Some not-great news out of the World Health Organization regarding one of the most contagious viruses around. Per the BBC , a record number of measles patients has been recorded in the European Union, with last year's nearly 24,000 cases being surpassed by this year's 41,000 figure....
Vaccine Workers' Mistakes
Kill 15 Kids in South Sudan
Jun 2, 2017 10:54 AM CDT
Vaccine Workers' Mistakes Kill 15 Kids in South Sudan
Measles campaign didn't follow hygiene protocol
- Health workers vaccinating children in South Sudan against measles last month used the same syringe for all the children without sterilizing it and did not properly refrigerate the vaccine during storage, leading to the deaths of at least 15 children. Of the 300 or so children vaccinated between May 2-5...
Why Minnesota's Measles
Outbreak Could Get Even Worse
May 5, 2017 1:35 PM CDT
Why Minnesota's Measles Outbreak Could Get Even Worse
Somali-Americans avoiding vaccines due to unfounded fears of autism
- The Minnesota Department of Health has identified 34 cases so far in a measles outbreak, with a University of Minnesota infectious disease expert worried it's leading to a "gas-and-match situation" that will result in more cases and possibly even deaths, NPR reports. What health officials are worried may...
Refusal to Vaccinate
Tied to Resurgence
of Measles, Pertussis
Mar 15, 2016 6:05 PM CDT
Refusal to Vaccinate Tied to Resurgence of Measles, Pertussis
More than half of recent measles cases appeared in unvaccinated people: study
- Wondering what's behind recent outbreaks of measles and whooping cough in the US? Perhaps not surprisingly, a new study published in JAMA finds that people who don't vaccinate—for non-medical reasons—contribute to the problem, Reuters reports. Since measles was declared eliminated in the US in 2000, there...
Figure Out What
Nov 25, 2015 7:50 AM CST
MIT Scientists Figure Out What Happens When We Sneeze
They map out how mucus and saliva break into droplets
- A sneeze is not just a sneeze. It is a "high-propulsion" cloud of mucus and saliva that spreads across entire rooms, even reaching ceilings and the ventilation ducts found there, in a matter of minutes. MIT researchers first gained attention last year with these findings, reports CBS Boston , and...
US Has First
in 12 Years
Jul 2, 2015 2:55 PM CDT
US Has First Measles Death in 12 Years
Washington woman succumbed to pneumonia caused by measles: health officials
- A woman in Washington state who fell ill earlier this year and died is now said to have died from pneumonia caused by measles—making it what health officials say is the first measles death in the country since 2003, the
reports. The cause of death of the...
SF Commuter May Have
Exposed Thousands to Measles
Feb 12, 2015 1:30 AM CST
SF Commuter May Have Exposed Thousands to Measles
Infected rider used BART for 3 days
- A person infected with measles used San Francisco's Bay Area Rapid Transit system for three days last week, and health officials say the risk of commuters contracting the disease is low—but the number of people potentially exposed is very high. Officials say the infected person, a LinkedIn employee,...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
After Fatally Forgetting His Son in Car, Dad Kills Self
As Testimony Ends, Cheney's Closing Called 'Stunning'
Video: Bison Attacks Family in Yellowstone
Investigators: Face Scratches a Clue to ER Actress's Death
'This Is the Smoking Gun,' Legal Analyst Says
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.