Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Possible Motive Emerges
in Albuquerque Murders
Aug 10, 2022 6:24 PM CDT
Possible Motive Emerges in Albuquerque Murders
Muhammed Syed may have been angered by daughter's marriage to Shiite Muslim
- The suspect charged with killing two Muslim men in Albuquerque and suspected of killing two more was on his way to Texas when he was arrested, police say. According to a criminal complaint, 51-year-old Muhammed Syed was around halfway between Albuquerque and the state line when police stopped his car...
Police Name Suspect
in Albuquerque Killings
Aug 9, 2022 5:52 PM CDT
Police Name Suspect in Albuquerque Killings
Muhammed Syed charged with murders of 2 Muslim men
This story has been updated with new development
s. A man police in Albuquerque, New Mexico describe as the "primary suspect" in the killings of four Muslim men was charged with two murders Tuesday and authorities believe he will be charged with two more. The suspect was identified as Muhammed...
After Murder of 4 Muslims,
Albuquerque Cops Make an Ask
Aug 8, 2022 2:12 PM CDT
After Murder of 4 Muslims, Albuquerque Cops Make an Ask
Police ask public for help in finding 'vehicle of interest'
- Cops in Albuquerque, New Mexico, are asking the public to keep a lookout for a car they think may be tied to the murder of four Muslim men in the city over the past nine months. Per CBS News , police asked anyone in the area who's seen a dark...
4 Slayings of Muslim Men
Aug 7, 2022 9:03 PM CDT
City Investigates 4 Slayings of Muslim Men
All have been killed in ambush shootings, Albuquerque police say
- For the fourth time in nine months, a Muslim man has been found shot to death in Albuquerque. The man killed Friday night was in his mid-20s and from South Asia,
reports. Police, who discovered his body after receiving a report of a shooting, declined to say whether...
Road Sign Points
Jul 29, 2022 3:49 AM CDT
Road Sign Points Drivers Toward 'Albuqueque'
'I do not recall this happening before,' state spokesperson says
- It made drivers on Route 66 and Interstate 40 in New Mexico do double takes. A newly upgraded state Department of Transportation sign erected last week that pointed drivers toward Albuquerque misspelled the city's name, losing the "R," the AP reports. People called and emailed the department...
Statues to Albuquerque
Jul 12, 2022 4:03 PM CDT
Creator Donates Statues to Albuquerque
Walter White, Jesse Pinkman statues will be unveiled this month
- Later this month, the mayor of Albuquerque will attend the unveiling of statues of the two most famous fictional drug dealers in the city's history.
creator Vince Gilligan has donated life-size bronze statues of Walter White and Jesse Pinkman to the New Mexico city, which has seen...
Cops: Bicycle Rider Randomly
Stabbed 11 in Albuquerque
Feb 14, 2022 10:25 AM CST
Cops: Bicycle Rider Randomly Stabbed 11 in Albuquerque
Suspect arrested, and 2 people are in critical condition
- Police in Albuquerque arrested a man suspected of stabbing 11 people as he rode a bicycle around the city over the weekend, leaving two victims critically injured, authorities said. He was identified as 42-year-old Tobias Gutierrez and booked into jail overnight on charges of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon,...
21 Workers Stranded On Icy
Tramway on New Year's Eve
Jan 2, 2022 5:45 AM CST
21 Workers Stranded On Icy Tramway on New Year's Eve
They were trying to get home but were stuck overnight
- New Mexico search and rescue crews used ropes and helicopters Saturday to rescue 21 people who were stranded overnight in two tram cars after an iced-over cable caused the cars to get stuck high up in the Sandia Mountains overlooking Albuquerque, per the AP . Lt. Robert Arguellas a Bernalillo County...
Pilot in Deadly Balloon Crash
Had Cocaine, Pot in System
Sep 23, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
Pilot in Deadly Balloon Crash Had Cocaine, Pot in System
5 died after balloon hit power lines in New Mexico
: The hot air balloon pilot killed along with his four passengers in a crash in Albuquerque, NM, in June had drugs in his system, the Federal Aviation Administration says. A toxicology report released Wednesday says blood and urine samples taken from 62-year-old Nicholas Meleski show he had marijuana and...
School Slaying Suspect,
13, to Be Held Until Trial
Aug 18, 2021 5:37 PM CDT
School Slaying Suspect, 13, to Be Held Until Trial
The victim was protecting another student from bullying, police say
- A 13-year-old New Mexico boy accused of shooting and killing a classmate in Albuquerque will remain in custody pending trial. A Children's Court judge agreed with prosecutors during a virtual hearing Tuesday and ordered the boy to remain at the Bernalillo County Youth Services Center, the AP reports. The...
Arizona Fire Sends
Smoke to Albuquerque
Jun 9, 2021 7:05 PM CDT
Arizona Fire Sends Smoke to Albuquerque
New Mexico has its own blazes to worry about
- A wildfire in Arizona that had neighboring New Mexico breathing in smoke was one of several blazes scorching the drought-stricken Southwest, signaling what could be a devastating summer. Residents in New Mexico's largest city woke up Wednesday shrouded again in smoke from the Arizona fires, the AP reports. The...
for New Mexico
Jun 4, 2021 7:20 AM CDT
'Dongcopter' Comes for New Mexico Mayoral Candidate
Man facing several charges after allegedly punching the candidate, a sheriff
- A New Mexico sheriff hoping to become mayor of Albuquerque had his largest campaign event interrupted Tuesday by a drone dangling an adult toy. Bernalillo County Sheriff Manuel Gonzales was responding to a question from a woman in the audience of 70 at Revel Entertainment Center when a drone buzzed...
Trump Announces 'Surge'
of Federal Agents in Cities
Jul 22, 2020 4:19 PM CDT
Trump Announces 'Surge' of Federal Agents in Cities
Feds will be sent to Chicago, Albuquerque
- President Trump announced Wednesday that he will send federal agents into Chicago and Albuquerque to help combat rising crime, expanding the administration’s intervention in local enforcement as he runs for reelection under a "law-and-order" mantle. Trump painted Democrat-led cities as out of control and lashed out at the...
Teen Turns in Bag of Cash,
Gets Rewarded With Job Offer
May 8, 2020 8:48 AM CDT
Teen Turns in Bag of Cash, Gets Rewarded With Job Offer
Jose Nunez Rominez found $135K next to ATM
- Albuquerque teenager Jose Nunez Rominez wants to work in law enforcement—and his actions after finding a bag of cash near an ATM definitely didn't do his career prospects any harm. The 19-year-old community college student tells CNN that he went to the Wells Fargo machine Sunday morning to...
Oct 22, 2019 11:26 AM CDT
Woman Killed While Playing Pokemon Go
Cayla Campos, 21, fatally shot near New Mexico park after witnessing a robbery
- Every night, 21-year-old Cayla Campos and her boyfriend would head to a park in Albuquerque, NM, to play Pokemon Go. It was their routine. After all, Bianchetti Park was close to the couple's apartment in what a resident describes as "a nice, quiet family neighborhood," per KRQE...
After Bloody 'Vampire' Facial,
a Frightening Diagnosis
May 1, 2019 7:23 AM CDT
After Bloody 'Vampire' Facial, a Frightening Diagnosis
Health officials: 2 customers of NM day spa are HIV-positive after 'injection-related procedures'
- In September, a day spa in Albuquerque, NM, suddenly shuttered , along with an explainer from state health officials that they'd identified practices at the spa "that could potentially spread blood-borne infections." Now, the New Mexico Department of Health says two former customers of VIP Spa who received...
Netflix Has Big Plans for
Massive New Mexico Complex
Oct 9, 2018 12:41 AM CDT
Netflix Has Big Plans for Massive New Mexico Complex
Company has purchased its first production studio
- Netflix has chosen New Mexico as the site of a new US production hub and is in final negotiations to buy an existing multimillion-dollar studio complex on the edge of the state's largest city, government and corporate leaders announced Monday. It's the company's first purchase of such...
High School Shop Class
Gives Veterans a 'Dignified' End
Sep 19, 2018 9:45 AM CDT
High School Shop Class Gives Veterans a 'Dignified' End
Gino Perez's shop class has crafted 18 urns
- More than 40,000 veterans spend their nights homeless, per Department of Housing and Urban Development numbers. A high school shop class in New Mexico is making sure 18 such veterans' eternal rest is a dignified one. CNN profiles the wood and metal shop class led by Gino Perez at...
Body Found in Dirt Mound Feels
Like 'Deja Vu': Police Chief
Jul 4, 2018 3:22 PM CDT
Body Found in Dirt Mound Feels Like 'Deja Vu': Police Chief
Bones emerge a half-mile from graves of 11 female victims
- Nearly a decade ago, the remains of 11 women who disappeared in New Mexico in the early 2000s were found buried in shallow graves in what's become the state's largest unsolved serial killing. As macabre as it was, police immediately suspected more graves remained hidden, given the unsolved...
Inmate Deemed Dangerous
Tricks Jail, Escapes
Jun 11, 2018 9:03 AM CDT
Inmate Deemed Dangerous Tricks Jail, Escapes
Duwin Perez-Cordova allegedly takes another inmate's ID, hops on bus
- An inmate considered dangerous is on the loose in New Mexico after a surprisingly easy escape: Authorities say Duwin Perez-Cordova hopped on a bus at the Metropolitan Detention Center in Bernalillo and then was released in downtown Albuquerque. It appears that the 27-year-old, who was accused in a December shooting,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cancer That Kirstie Alley Battled Is Specified
Family of Woman Beheaded by Utah Park Gate Wants $140M
Trump Organization Found Guilty of Tax Fraud
2 Cosby Show Guest Actors Join Sexual Assault Lawsuit
Anne Heche's Final Autopsy Results Released
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.