Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Best, Worst Cities to Retire
Sep 5, 2023 4:08 PM CDT
Best, Worst Cities to Retire
The Sunshine State is well represented in the top 10, while the Golden State dominates the bottom
- Those lucky enough to be looking to retire might also be looking for the best places in which to do so—and maybe save a coin or two by relocating to a new location. WalletHub notes that the average age of American retirement has stretched from 60 in 1995 to...
Here Are the Best Cities in
America for a Staycation
Jun 11, 2023 1:40 PM CDT
Here Are the Best Cities in America for a Staycation
Honolulu tops WalletHub's list
- Want to save your wallet this summer and hover closer to home for some R&R? Those contemplating a "staycation" might want to check out WalletHub's latest rankings , which lists which US cities are best for such homebound holidays. The site looked at more than 180 of the...
Ran Into Anything But
May 30, 2023 11:20 AM CDT
Carnival's Sunshine Ran Into Anything But
Cruise ship on its way back to Charleston, SC, was battered by high seas
- If you've ever taken a cruise and enjoyed buffets, deck-top pools, night-time entertainment, quaint ports-of-call, and sunshine, well, don't talk to the passengers aboard the Carnival Sunshine who were returning from the Bahamas to Charleston, South Carolina, this weekend. The ship, which can carry upward of 4,000...
Here Are the
10 Best, Worst
US Cities to
Start a Career
May 16, 2023 12:55 PM CDT
Here Are the 10 Best, Worst US Cities to Start a Career
Atlanta takes the top spot on WalletHub's list, while the Big Apple comes in last
- Not sure where to kick off that career you've dreamed about for years? Whether you're a new grad or kick-starting a second job path for yourself, some cities have better resources than others for making such moves. WalletHub looked at more than 180 of the nation's largest...
This State Looks Tempting
Sep 7, 2021 9:10 AM CDT
Nearing Retirement? This State Looks Tempting
4 Fla. cities, including Orlando, make WalletHub's top 10 list for the best places to retire
- Whether you're decades away from retirement or right around the corner, where you head after you clock out for the last time may already be percolating. WalletHub looked at more than 180 of America's cities, analyzing metrics in four main categories: affordability (cost of living, taxpayer friendliness, and...
Custody Battle Turns Deadly
Nov 10, 2020 7:44 AM CST
Ex-Ballerina's Bitter Custody Battle Turns Deadly
Ashley Benefield, 28, is accused of murdering estranged husband Doug Benefield, 58
- A former professional dancer is accused of fatally shooting her estranged husband after she claimed a domestic violence incident forced her to act in self-defense. A release from the Manatee County Sheriff's Office says the incident took place Sept. 27 in Central Park, Fla., where Ashley Benefield, 28—who...
Jewelry Named for Victims
of Police Brutality Is Yanked
Sep 11, 2020 12:35 PM CDT
Jewelry Named for Victims of Police Brutality Is Yanked
Controversial collection made of shattered glass from BLM protest pulled from Charleston museum
- A bolo tie named for Eric Garner . "The Elijah" and "The Breonna," necklaces costing several hundred dollars in honor of Elijah McClain and Breonna Taylor . A $45 pair of earrings bearing Trayvon Martin 's name. These are some of the items the
lists as part...
Sep 8, 2020 10:10 AM CDT
Looking to Retire? These US Cities Beckon
Nearly half of the top 10 are in one state
- Unless you plan on living indefinitely on a cruise ship when you retire (not a bad idea, but maybe a little impractical for most of us), you may be looking ahead to where it would make the most sense to settle in for your golden years. Toward that end, WalletHub...
Dog Gets an Unexpected
Road Trip to Florida
Jul 27, 2020 11:25 AM CDT
Dog Gets an Unexpected Road Trip to Florida
Belle jumped out of car in South Carolina, was picked up by Floridians
- A pet dog that jumped out of a car window on a South Carolina highway has been found two weeks later, nearly 600 miles away in Miami, per the AP . The dog named Belle escaped from the moving car near Charleston on July 15, according to Tim Whitfield, whose 90-year-old...
Statue of a
Jun 24, 2020 11:45 AM CDT
Overnight Crew Begins Sawing Statue of a Former VP
Charleston's statue of John C. Calhoun will be relocated
- A former vice president is about to fall. Early Wednesday, a crew began removing a statue of John C. Calhoun, a defender of slavery who served as the seventh US vice president from 1825 to 1832, from its pedestal in Charleston, SC, following a Tuesday city council vote. The council...
May 31, 2020 7:34 AM CDT
Protesters Target Confederate Statues
Multiple cities see graffiti attacks
- Protesters took to the streets of cities across America for a fourth night of rallying against the death of George Floyd, and the AP reports that Confederate monuments in Virginia, the Carolinas, and Mississippi were targeted. One at the University of Mississippi was spray-painted with the words "spiritual genocide,...
10 Top US Cities
May 20, 2020 9:25 AM CDT
10 Top US Cities for Staycations
Being stuck close to home during the pandemic doesn't mean you can't take a break from it all
- Even, or maybe especially, amid a pandemic, thoughts of vacation are bubbling up—and the idea of a "staycation" is looking more likely for most of us. WalletHub decided to figure out which US cities are the most appealing for those remaining close to home, looking at more than...
Her Boss' Job,
Has Her Badge Pulled
Feb 28, 2020 10:46 AM CST
She Wants Her Boss' Job, Has Her Badge Pulled
She Wants Her Boss' Job, Had Her Badge Pulled
- A deputy of South Carolina's largest sheriff's office has been stripped of her badge, uniform, and guns after expressing a desire to run for her boss' job. Al Cannon, 73, has been sheriff of Charleston County since 1988 and intends to remain in the job after the November...
A Cop Was Idling in a Parking
Lot. A Surprise Driver Pulled Up
Sep 25, 2019 11:10 AM CDT
A Cop Was Idling in a Parking Lot. A Surprise Driver Pulled Up
11-year-old was reportedly lost after driving 200 miles to live with Snapchat stranger
- Police say an 11-year-old boy drove himself across South Carolina intending to live with an unknown male he'd met on Snapchat. The plan came to a quick close as the boy, who'd driven 200 miles from his home in Simpsonville, pulled up alongside Charleston Officer Christopher Braun in...
America's 10 Best
Cities for 'Staycations'
May 30, 2019 12:42 PM CDT
America's 10 Best Cities for 'Staycations'
Honolulu is No. 1
- Looking to start your vacation as soon as you clock your last hour at work? WalletHub looks at the best cities for "staycations," looking at more than three dozen metrics in the "Recreation," "Food and Entertainment," and "Rest and Relaxation" categories. Virginia Beach,...
Wants to Fire His
Sep 19, 2017 12:05 PM CDT
Dylann Roof Wants to Fire His 'Biological Enemies': His Lawyers
His current lawyers are Jewish and Indian
- Dylann Roof, the convicted white supremacist murderer of nine black churchgoers in Charleston, SC, wants to dismiss and replace his legal team because they are his "political and biological enemies," he says in a handwritten letter filed with the 4th US Circuit Court of Appeals Monday. Roof, who'...
Fired Dishwasher Kills Chef at
Charleston Restaurant: Cops
Aug 24, 2017 4:21 PM CDT
Fired Dishwasher Kills Chef at Charleston Restaurant: Cops
Hostage situation is now over
- A fired dishwasher shot and killed a chef and held one person hostage for about three hours before he was shot by police at a crowded restaurant in a tourist-heavy area of downtown Charleston, South Carolina, on Thursday, authorities and one of the restaurant's owners said. The hostages were...
Dylann Roof Pleads Guilty
to State Murder Charges
Apr 10, 2017 2:24 PM CDT
Dylann Roof Pleads Guilty to State Murder Charges
He'll now await execution in federal case
- Convicted Charleston church shooter Dylann Roof has been given nine life sentences for the 2015 massacre at Emanuel AME Church in exchange for his guilty plea in state court, the AP reports. The plea entered Monday by the self-avowed white supremacist marks the end of his court cases and signals...
GPS Reveals Chilling
2nd Stop by Dylann Roof
Feb 22, 2017 4:03 AM CST
GPS Reveals Chilling 2nd Stop by Dylann Roof
GPS data reveals he went to second church
- GPS information from Dylann Roof's car reveals a chilling detail: He stopped at a second South Carolina church after his massacre, reports ABC affiliate WCIV . When he left Emanuel AME Church in Charleston, Roof got back on the interstate and took an exit that brought him to Branch AME...
Daughter Asked: 'Is
Daddy Going to Die?'
Jan 5, 2017 1:32 PM CST
Charleston Survivor's Daughter Asked: 'Is Daddy Going to Die?'
Jennifer Pinckney cradled 6-year-old under desk as Dylann Roof killed her husband
- "There's nothing wrong with me psychologically," Dylann Roof told a jury Wednesday . It was a statement Jennifer Pinckney had heard before. The wife of Rev. Clementa Pinckney had been in her husband's study at Emanuel AME Church in Charleston with their 6-year-old daughter, Malana, on June...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
No Shutdown: Congress' Surprise Deal Is Approved
Incurable Disease Is Plaguing Young Workers
He Took a Legendary Cookie Recipe to His Grave. Maybe
Police Shove Officials in Election Document Raid
Overturned Truck With Toxic Cargo Causes 'Multiple' Deaths
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.