Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Hotel' Will Really
Make You Think
Jun 28, 2022 6:08 PM CDT
This 'Zero-Star Hotel' Will Really Make You Think
That's the goal, anyway, of art installation by twin brothers erected next to Swiss gas station
- Some people think best in the shower. Others may find they do their best ruminating while lying in bed in the middle of the street next to a gas station. The latter is what Frank and Patrik Riklin are banking on, anyway, with a concept they hope will spur people...
'Pretty Strange' Demand for
Fugitives' Motel Room
May 24, 2022 2:20 PM CDT
'Pretty Strange' Demand for Fugitives' Motel Room
There's a waiting list for room in Ind. motel where Casey White, corrections officer Vicky White stayed
- Escaped Alabama fugitive Casey White and the late Vicky White, the corrections officer who went on the run with him, holed up in an Indiana motel room for nearly a week before authorities finally tracked them down earlier this month. Now, that refuge in the Hoosier State has become a...
Man Who Created the World's
Biggest Hotel Chain Has Died
Feb 16, 2021 10:55 AM CST
Man Who Created the World's Biggest Hotel Chain Has Died
Marriott's Arne Sorenson is dead at 62 from pancreatic cancer
- Marriott CEO Arne Sorenson, whose claim to fame was creating the world's biggest hotel chain, has died at age 62 from pancreatic cancer, reports Reuters . Sorenson, who was the first person from outside the Marriott family to run the company, engineered the $13 billion purchase of Starwood Hotels and...
2 Black Kids Played in a Hotel
Pool. The Cops Were Called
Jul 1, 2020 9:25 AM CDT
2 Black Kids Played in a Hotel Pool. The Cops Were Called
Employee at NC Hampton Inn fired after summoning police regarding 'trespassing' guests
- An employee at a Hampton Inn in North Carolina has been fired after calling the cops on Black guests who were using the pool. Two police officers responded to a trespassing complaint at the Williamston location on Friday after the employee, an unidentified white woman, reported finding two children unattended...
Major Hotel Chains Giving
Rooms to Medical Workers
Apr 13, 2020 9:50 AM CDT
Major Hotel Chains Giving Rooms to Medical Workers
Hilton, Marriott among them
- It's a little easier now for overworked health care workers to find a place to rest without endangering their own families. The Hilton and Marriott hotel chains are both donating rooms for doctors, nurses, paramedics, EMTs, and the like, reports
. The chains are working with groups that...
3 Months After
Bodies Still There
Jan 23, 2020 10:20 AM CST
3 Months After New Orleans Hotel Collapse, Bodies Still There
A tarp covering one recently blew away, exposing his remains
- The Hard Rock Hotel under construction in New Orleans collapsed on Oct. 12, 2019. It's been more than three months since the disaster, which killed three workers—and two of their bodies are still in the destroyed building. The city has said the site is too unstable and dangerous...
Versailles Is About
to Get Its First Hotel
Oct 17, 2019 12:46 PM CDT
Versailles Is About to Get Its First Hotel
Le Grand Controle will have 14 rooms, indoor swimming pool, and Alain Ducasse eatery
- Let them eat cake, or at least order room service. For visitors who don't feel like traipsing back to their accommodations in Paris after visiting the Palace of Versailles, Curbed offers the following news: A luxury hotel is being built on the estate's premises, overlooking the gardens outside...
Oct 14, 2019 10:15 AM CDT
Suit: Waiter Poured Liquid Nitrogen in Woman's Drink
Stacey Wagers says after friend admired 'cool smoke' from nearby table, her water got tainted
- A Florida woman who celebrated her birthday at an upscale hotel restaurant is now suing after she says a waiter poured liquid nitrogen into her drink, severely and permanently injuring her. WFTS has posted the lawsuit , which alleges that during the Nov. 11, 2018, celebratory dinner Stacey Wagers was enjoying...
Congress to Examine
'Most Hated Fee in Travel'
Sep 28, 2019 10:00 AM CDT
Congress to Examine 'Most Hated Fee in Travel'
Maybe you've encountered them: resort fees
- The hotel industry may have to open up about its pricing if a new bill turns into law, the
San Francisco Chronicle
reports. The Hotel Advertising Transparency Act of 2019—introduced by Rep. Jeff Fortenberry, R-Neb, and Eddie Bernice Johnson, D-Texas—would make it illegal for hotels and other accommodation...
Dead at 91
Sep 21, 2019 6:00 AM CDT
Hotel Magnate Barron Hilton Dead at 91
Paris Hilton on grandather's death: 'He was a legend'
- Barron Hilton started out parking cars at his father's hotels and ended up running the whole chain, as well as owning an NFL team. "He was a Legend, a visionary, brilliant, handsome, kind and lived a life full of accomplishment and adventure," granddaughter Paris Hilton posted online...
No More Mini Toiletries at
This Hotel Chain by 2020
Aug 28, 2019 6:35 PM CDT
No More Mini Toiletries at This Hotel Chain by 2020
Marriott is banning them
- It could be lights out for tiny toiletries. Marriott International, the world's largest hotel chain, said Wednesday it will eliminate small plastic bottles of shampoo, conditioner, and bath gel from its hotel rooms worldwide by December 2020, the AP reports. They'll be replaced with larger bottles or wall-mounted...
in Hotel Tub
in case you missed it
Aug 17, 2019 2:15 PM CDT
Entomologist: Keep Your Luggage in Hotel Tub
To avoid bedbugs
- Forget about throwing your suitcase into your hotel room's closet—and don't even think about throwing it onto your bed to unpack it. That's what an insect expert tells the Apartment Therapy blog , and the reason may make you cringe: It's to avoid bringing home any...
5.6K Hotels to Take
'Next Logical Step'
Jul 30, 2019 10:50 AM CDT
5.6K Hotels to Take 'Next Logical Step' for Environment
InterContinental Hotels Group will phase out mini-toiletries in single-use plastic bottles
- The owner of Holiday Inn and Crowne Plaza hotels vowed in October to stop using plastic straws by the end of 2019. Now it's on to "the next logical step," per the
New York Times
. InterContinental Hotels Group has become the first global hotel brand to say...
Hotels Get Caught in
Jul 21, 2019 4:45 PM CDT
Hotels Get Caught in Immigration Crossfire
Several say they will no longer house migrants
- There's a new target in the clash over immigration: hotels. Advocacy groups and unions are pressuring Marriott, MGM, and others not to house migrants who have been arrested by Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers, the AP reports. For decades, the US government has occasionally detained migrants in hotels, and...
Report: Marriott Wants 'Piece
of the Pie' From Airbnb
Apr 29, 2019 8:33 AM CDT
Report: Marriott Wants 'Piece of the Pie' From Airbnb
Hotel giant reportedly getting into the home rental business in the US
- With about 5 million listings, Airbnb is the biggest platform for home rentals in the world. It may soon be getting some stiff competition with deep pockets, however: Sources tell the
Wall Street Journal
that Marriott will next month be launching the first phase of its own US home-sharing business,...
He Went to
Motel 6 to Wrap
His Kids' Gifts.
Then ICE Came
Apr 5, 2019 11:03 AM CDT
He Went to Motel 6 to Wrap His Kids' Gifts. Then ICE Came
Just one story cited by Washington state AG in announcing $12M settlement hotel chain will pay
- If you or any family members stayed at a Motel 6 in the state of Washington between Feb. 1, 2015, and Sept. 17, 2017, you may want to check out the latest statement from the attorney general there. Per NPR , Bob Ferguson announced that Motel 6 will pay $12 million...
Bellagio Heist Goes South,
Suspect Is Shot
Mar 16, 2019 8:40 AM CDT
Bellagio Heist Goes South, Suspect Is Shot
Vegas police officer also injured but has already been treated and released from hospital
- "I'm in the poker room and we've been locked in for an hour, not even bathroom, no joke!" That was just one of the tweets that allegedly emerged from inside the Bellagio casino and hotel during an attempted heist in Las Vegas Friday night. Las Vegas...
Unpaid Worker Wreaks
Revenge on Newly Built Hotel
Jan 22, 2019 9:45 AM CST
Unpaid Worker Wreaks Revenge on Newly Built Hotel
Man who smashed into UK Travelodge with backhoe was allegedly owed $775 in wages
- The finishing touches were just being put on the new Travelodge hotel in Liverpool when "some idiot in a mini digger decided to drive through the middle of the building." That's the gist of a story out of the UK, where police are now on the hunt...
Clue in Marriott Breach:
'Patience' of the Hackers
Dec 6, 2018 8:36 AM CST
Clue in Marriott Breach: 'Patience' of the Hackers
Sources say signs point to breach being an intel-gathering operation for Chinese government
- Up to 500 million customers may have had their personal info compromised in a huge Marriott data breach , and investigators are now coming across clues as to who may be behind the hack. Sources tell Reuters that digital fingerprints—i.e., previously used "hacking tools, techniques, and procedures"—...
Massive Data Breach
Nov 30, 2018 7:26 AM CST
Marriott Reveals Massive Data Breach
Information on 500M Starwood customers is exposed
- Bad news for anyone who has stayed at a Starwood brand hotel, which includes big names like Westin and Sheraton, in the last few years: Hackers may have your data, including credit card information. Marriott said Friday that up to 500 million customers under its Starwood Hotel umbrella have been...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Brittney Griner Freed by Russia, but at a 'Heavy Price'
Man Who Stood Up Wife at Airport Found 10 Years Later
All Nantucket Beaches Are Now Topless Beaches
Restaurant Axed Reservation After Staff Looked Up Group
Palace 'Might Be Relieved' by Harry & Meghan Series
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.