Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Author AS Byatt Dies
Nov 17, 2023 12:09 PM CST
Booker Prize-Winning Author AS Byatt Dies
UK writer, 87, wrote 'Possession,' which was made into a movie starring Gwyneth Paltrow
- Author AS Byatt, whose books include the Booker Prize-winning novel
, has died at the age of 87. Byatt's publisher, Chatto & Windus, said Friday that the author died "peacefully at home surrounded by close family." Byatt wrote two dozen books, starting with her first novel,
Rushdie Makes Surprise
Appearance to Collect Award
Nov 15, 2023 10:10 AM CST
Rushdie Makes Surprise Appearance to Collect Award
Honor was kept under wraps until minutes before the author accepted it
- The latest honor for Salman Rushdie was a prize kept secret until minutes before he rose from his seat to accept it. On Tuesday night, the author received the first-ever Lifetime Disturbing the Peace Award, presented by the Vaclav Havel Center on Manhattan's Upper East Side. Only a handful...
Winner of Nobel Lit Prize: I've
'Cautiously' Prepped for This
Oct 5, 2023 7:04 AM CDT
Winner of Nobel Lit Prize: I've 'Cautiously' Prepped for This
Norwegian author Jon Fosse's works 'give voice to the unsayable'
- Jon Fosse, a master of spare Nordic writing in a sprawling body of work ranging from plays to novels and children's books, won the Nobel Prize in literature on Thursday for works that "give voice to the unsayable." Anders Olsson, chair of the Nobel Committee for Literature,...
Letter: 'I Am More
Valuable to Them
Alive Than Dead'
Sep 5, 2023 6:29 AM CDT
Hemingway Letter: 'I Am More Valuable to Them Alive Than Dead'
Author's note to his lawyer after 2 plane crashes talks about injuries, beef with Abercrombie & Fitch
- A letter that author Ernest Hemingway wrote to his attorney soon after he'd endured back-to-back plane crashes just sold for big bucks on the auction block. NPR reports the that four-page note, scrawled on stationery from a hotel in Venice, Italy, went for $237,055 via Nate D. Sanders...
Before He Wrote
, He Fled Homeland
Jul 12, 2023 8:00 AM CDT
Before He Wrote
, He Fled Homeland
Czech dissident and author Milan Kundera, who became a thorn in Communists' side, dies at 94
- Milan Kundera, the Czech author who was cast out of the Communist Party and became best known for penning
The Unbearable Lightness of Being
, has died. The 94-year-old passed away Tuesday in Paris "after a long illness," a spokeswoman for the Czech library that kept Kundera's personal...
From Garcia Marquez, a 'Final
Effort to Continue Creating'
May 8, 2023 11:00 AM CDT
From Garcia Marquez, a 'Final Effort to Continue Creating'
New novel from late author, based on unfinished manuscript, is coming our way in 2024
- Nobel Prize-winning author Gabriel Jose de la Concordia Garcia Marquez, better known as Gabriel Garcia Marquez, died in 2014. A 150-page, unfinished novel he left behind will be published next year, a decade after his death following a bout with pneumonia at 87, reports NPR . Per the
, the novel...
Here's What Just Made
Judy Blume Curse on Twitter
Apr 17, 2023 9:08 AM CDT
Here's What Just Made Judy Blume Curse on Twitter
After remarks on JK Rowling, author says it's 'total bull----' she doesn't stand with the trans community
- Judy Blume may be 85 years old, but she's not shy about throwing down on Twitter if she needs to. The Independent reports that the popular children's author—who has penned such classics as
Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret
—is responding to...
Crichton's Books Written as
'John Lange' See New Life
Feb 22, 2023 11:40 AM CST
Crichton's Books Written as 'John Lange' See New Life
Blackstone acquires rights to 8 early novels in 7-figure deal, will publish new editions
- The early writings of Michael Crichton look destined for the big screen following a seven-figure deal announced Tuesday. The late
author's estate sold the worldwide print, e-book, and audiobook rights to Crichton's first eight novels—unconnected pieces of fiction across various genres, written under the pseudonym...
She Was Set to
Read to Kids,
Jan 19, 2023 8:11 AM CST
She Was Set to Read to Kids, Got Derailed by Pottymouth
Texas school district cancels appearance by author Emma Straub over f-bomb-filled tweet
- On Emma Straub's website , a write-up about her newly released children's book,
Very Good Hats
, notes that the "joyous and inventive read-aloud will inspire kids to see ordinary objects in a whole new way." Straub, the daughter of horror writer Peter Straub and author of such...
In His Books'
Jan 9, 2023 6:10 AM CST
In His Books' Pages, the Working Class Came Alive
'Cloudsplitter,' 'Affliction' author Russell Banks is dead at 82
- Russell Banks, an award-winning fiction writer who rooted such novels as
The Sweet Hereafter
in the wintry, rural communities of his native Northeast and imagined the dreams and downfalls of everyone from modern blue-collar workers to the radical abolitionist John Brown in
, has died. He was 82....
Emily St. John Mandel Ran
Into Odd Snag After Divorce
Dec 26, 2022 7:43 AM CST
Emily St. John Mandel Ran Into Odd Snag After Divorce
Wikipedia still said she was married, and she couldn't change it herself
- On the Wikipedia page for Emily St. John Mandel—the bestselling Canadian author of
Sea of Tranquility
The Glass Hotel
, the last of which was adapted into an HBO Max miniseries—it's noted under the "personal life" section that she separated from executive recruiter Kevin...
Renowned Sports Writer
Collapses, Dies at World Cup
Dec 10, 2022 5:30 AM CST
Renowned Sports Writer Collapses, Dies at World Cup
Grant Wahl, one of the best-known US journalists in the soccer world, is dead at 48
- Grant Wahl, one of the most well-known soccer writers in the United States, died early Saturday in Qatar while covering the World Cup match between Argentina and the Netherlands. He was 48. US media seated near him said Wahl fell back in his seat in a section of Lusail Stadium...
Came From Him
Nov 18, 2022 11:30 AM CST
Bush's 9/11 Condolences Came From Him
Presidential speechwriter, 'Washington Post' columnist Michael Gerson dies at 58
- "This world He created is of moral design. Grief and tragedy and hatred are only for a time. Goodness, remembrance, and love have no end. And the Lord of life holds all who die and all who mourn." Those words spoken by then-President George W. Bush in the...
After Writing for
He Took a Job at Macy's
Oct 23, 2022 3:50 PM CDT
After Writing for
, He Took a Job at Macy's
Anthony Q. Farrell says he's working to improve diversity in TV writers rooms
- Anthony Q. Farrell's first TV writing job was a big one. He worked as a staff writer and story editor on
from 2008 to 2009 until he was laid off amid the recession. It was two years before he found another job in his field, but Farrell...
Tom Hanks, Novelist
Sep 27, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
Tom Hanks, Novelist
Actor's first one comes out next year
- Tom Hanks' next big venture has no hope of winning him an Oscar—unless it's adapted into a film. The 66-year-old actor is writing his first novel, one that's due out in May 2023, reports
. The book is called
The Making of Another Major Motion Picture Masterpiece,
Loss to Literature'
Sep 23, 2022 6:34 AM CDT
Death of Hilary Mantel 'an Enormous Loss to Literature'
British writer who wrote historical fiction about Thomas Cromwell suffered a stroke
- Hilary Mantel, the Booker Prize-winning author of the acclaimed
saga, has died. She was 70. Mantel died "suddenly yet peacefully," surrounded by close family and friends, publisher HarperCollins said Friday, per the AP . Her longtime literary agent, Bill Hamilton, confirmed to the
New York Times
2 Books Due Out From Pulitzer
Winner Cormac McCarthy
Mar 9, 2022 1:16 PM CST
2 Books Due Out From Pulitzer Winner Cormac McCarthy
'The Passenger' and 'Stella Maris' will be first fiction from McCarthy since 2006's 'The Road'
- Cormac McCarthy has two novels coming out this fall, his first fiction releases since the Pulitzer Prize-winning
in 2006. Publisher Alfred A. Knopf announced Tuesday that
, a long-rumored novel about "morality and science" and "the legacy of sin" that McCarthy reportedly began decades ago,...
Critics Slam Men
Who Won $1.2M
Oct 18, 2021 7:58 AM CDT
Critics Slam Men Who Won $1.2M Literary Prize: 'Scammers'
'Carmen Mola,' believed to have been a woman, is actually trio of middle-aged Spanish screenwriters
, a gruesome historical thriller about a serial killer in the 1830s, has won one of Spain's top literary prizes, and its author, Carmen Mola—a popular writer known for the "strong female protagonists" in her crime novels, per the
—was supposed to show...
Just Got Weird
Jul 9, 2021 10:31 AM CDT
Remember 'Cat Person'? The Backstory Just Got Weird
Alexis Nowicki says Kristen Roupenian based short story on her
- More than three years ago, at the peak of the #MeToo movement, a short story in the
went viral, earning Kristen Roupenian a book contract and movie deal . This week, however, a swerve: In an essay for Slate , Alexis Nowicki says the main female character in Roupenian's...
Restored Novel by Late Author
a 'Profound Critique of Racism'
May 13, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
Restored Novel by Late Author a 'Profound Critique of Racism'
Richard Wright's 'The Man Who Lived Underground' is already a bestseller
- More than 60 years after his death, Richard Wright is again a bestselling author, and very much in line with the present.
The Man Who Lived Underground
, a short novel written in the 1940s and never published in full until this spring, is the surreal but credible story of Fred...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
Police Raid Moscow Gay Bars After Anti-LGBTQ+ Ruling
Ecologists Want People to 'Adopt' These 'Water Monsters'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.