Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
She Was Set to
Read to Kids,
Jan 19, 2023 8:11 AM CST
She Was Set to Read to Kids, Got Derailed by Pottymouth
Texas school district cancels appearance by author Emma Straub over f-bomb-filled tweet
- On Emma Straub's website , a write-up about her newly released children's book,
Very Good Hats
, notes that the "joyous and inventive read-aloud will inspire kids to see ordinary objects in a whole new way." Straub, the daughter of horror writer Peter Straub and author of such...
In His Books'
Jan 9, 2023 6:10 AM CST
In His Books' Pages, the Working Class Came Alive
'Cloudsplitter,' 'Affliction' author Russell Banks is dead at 82
- Russell Banks, an award-winning fiction writer who rooted such novels as
The Sweet Hereafter
in the wintry, rural communities of his native Northeast and imagined the dreams and downfalls of everyone from modern blue-collar workers to the radical abolitionist John Brown in
, has died. He was 82....
Emily St. John Mandel Ran
Into Odd Snag After Divorce
Dec 26, 2022 7:43 AM CST
Emily St. John Mandel Ran Into Odd Snag After Divorce
Wikipedia still said she was married, and she couldn't change it herself
- On the Wikipedia page for Emily St. John Mandel—the bestselling Canadian author of
Sea of Tranquility
The Glass Hotel
, the last of which was adapted into an HBO Max miniseries—it's noted under the "personal life" section that she separated from executive recruiter Kevin...
Renowned Sports Writer
Collapses, Dies at World Cup
Dec 10, 2022 5:30 AM CST
Renowned Sports Writer Collapses, Dies at World Cup
Grant Wahl, one of the best-known US journalists in the soccer world, is dead at 48
- Grant Wahl, one of the most well-known soccer writers in the United States, died early Saturday in Qatar while covering the World Cup match between Argentina and the Netherlands. He was 48. US media seated near him said Wahl fell back in his seat in a section of Lusail Stadium...
Came From Him
Nov 18, 2022 11:30 AM CST
Bush's 9/11 Condolences Came From Him
Presidential speechwriter, 'Washington Post' columnist Michael Gerson dies at 58
- "This world He created is of moral design. Grief and tragedy and hatred are only for a time. Goodness, remembrance, and love have no end. And the Lord of life holds all who die and all who mourn." Those words spoken by then-President George W. Bush in the...
After Writing for
He Took a Job at Macy's
Oct 23, 2022 3:50 PM CDT
After Writing for
, He Took a Job at Macy's
Anthony Q. Farrell says he's working to improve diversity in TV writers rooms
- Anthony Q. Farrell's first TV writing job was a big one. He worked as a staff writer and story editor on
from 2008 to 2009 until he was laid off amid the recession. It was two years before he found another job in his field, but Farrell...
Tom Hanks, Novelist
Sep 27, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
Tom Hanks, Novelist
Actor's first one comes out next year
- Tom Hanks' next big venture has no hope of winning him an Oscar—unless it's adapted into a film. The 66-year-old actor is writing his first novel, one that's due out in May 2023, reports
. The book is called
The Making of Another Major Motion Picture Masterpiece,
Loss to Literature'
Sep 23, 2022 6:34 AM CDT
Death of Hilary Mantel 'an Enormous Loss to Literature'
British writer who wrote historical fiction about Thomas Cromwell suffered a stroke
- Hilary Mantel, the Booker Prize-winning author of the acclaimed
saga, has died. She was 70. Mantel died "suddenly yet peacefully," surrounded by close family and friends, publisher HarperCollins said Friday, per the AP . Her longtime literary agent, Bill Hamilton, confirmed to the
New York Times
2 Books Due Out From Pulitzer
Winner Cormac McCarthy
Mar 9, 2022 1:16 PM CST
2 Books Due Out From Pulitzer Winner Cormac McCarthy
'The Passenger' and 'Stella Maris' will be first fiction from McCarthy since 2006's 'The Road'
- Cormac McCarthy has two novels coming out this fall, his first fiction releases since the Pulitzer Prize-winning
in 2006. Publisher Alfred A. Knopf announced Tuesday that
, a long-rumored novel about "morality and science" and "the legacy of sin" that McCarthy reportedly began decades ago,...
Critics Slam Men
Who Won $1.2M
Oct 18, 2021 7:58 AM CDT
Critics Slam Men Who Won $1.2M Literary Prize: 'Scammers'
'Carmen Mola,' believed to have been a woman, is actually trio of middle-aged Spanish screenwriters
, a gruesome historical thriller about a serial killer in the 1830s, has won one of Spain's top literary prizes, and its author, Carmen Mola—a popular writer known for the "strong female protagonists" in her crime novels, per the
—was supposed to show...
Just Got Weird
Jul 9, 2021 10:31 AM CDT
Remember 'Cat Person'? The Backstory Just Got Weird
Alexis Nowicki says Kristen Roupenian based short story on her
- More than three years ago, at the peak of the #MeToo movement, a short story in the
went viral, earning Kristen Roupenian a book contract and movie deal . This week, however, a swerve: In an essay for Slate , Alexis Nowicki says the main female character in Roupenian's...
Restored Novel by Late Author
a 'Profound Critique of Racism'
May 13, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
Restored Novel by Late Author a 'Profound Critique of Racism'
Richard Wright's 'The Man Who Lived Underground' is already a bestseller
- More than 60 years after his death, Richard Wright is again a bestselling author, and very much in line with the present.
The Man Who Lived Underground
, a short novel written in the 1940s and never published in full until this spring, is the surreal but credible story of Fred...
She Began as a Librarian. Then
She Gave the World 'Ramona'
Mar 27, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
She Began as a Librarian. Then She Gave the World 'Ramona'
Children's author Beverly Cleary dies at 104
- Beverly Cleary, the celebrated children's author whose memories of her Oregon childhood were shared with millions through the likes of Ramona and Beezus Quimby and Henry Huggins, has died. She was 104. Cleary's publisher HarperCollins announced Friday that the author died Thursday in Carmel Valley, Calif., where she'...
Dead at 84
Mar 26, 2021 1:40 PM CDT
Writer Who Captured the 'American Experience' Dead at 84
Larry McMurtry won Pulitzer for 'Lonesome Dove,' Oscar for 'Brokeback Mountain' screenplay
- He was a novelist, screenwriter, and nonfiction author, known for several books that ended up adapted for the big screen. Larry McMurtry, described by the
Los Angeles Times
as "one of the most acclaimed writers of the American experience," died at the age of 84 on Thursday at...
Big-Name Writers Teaming Up
on a Pandemic Novel
Mar 18, 2021 4:07 PM CDT
Big-Name Writers Teaming Up on a Pandemic Novel
Including John Grisham and Margaret Atwood
- One of the first novels about the pandemic will be a collaborative effort, with Margaret Atwood, John Grisham, and Celeste Ng among the writers, per the AP . The Authors Guild Foundation announced Thursday that it had reached a deal with Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Books & Media to publish
Eric Jerome Dickey Dead at 59
Jan 6, 2021 9:05 AM CST
Bestselling Novelist Eric Jerome Dickey Dead at 59
He died from cancer on Sunday
- Eric Jerome Dickey, the bestselling novelist who blended crime, romance, and eroticism in
Waking With Enemies
; and dozens of other stories about contemporary Black life, has died at age 59. Dickey's publicist at Penguin Random House told the AP that the author died of cancer Sunday in...
Writers Slam Cotton Op-Ed:
It Puts Black Staff in Danger
Jun 4, 2020 7:51 AM CDT
Writers Slam Cotton Op-Ed: It Puts Black Staff in Danger
Arkansas senator wants US military to handle George Floyd protests
- In what Fox News calls an "open revolt,"
New York Times
staffers pushed back on their employer after the paper published a Wednesday op-ed by Sen. Tom Cotton titled "Send In the Troops." In his piece, the Arkansas senator argues for using the US military to...
Idea for Kids
May 26, 2020 10:23 AM CDT
JK Rowling's Idea for Kids in Lockdown Starts Today
She'll be releasing 'The Ickabog,' a 'political fairy tale,' in 34 free installments ahead of print edition
- JK Rowling is set to release her first children's book unrelated to the
series—and this time it's free.
, a fairy tale "about truth and the abuse of power" in an imaginary land, written "in fits and starts" between the
JK Rowling to
'Tell Me the
May 22, 2020 1:45 PM CDT
Fan Asks JK Rowling to 'Tell Me the Truth.' So She Did
Author reveals 'true birthplace' of her 'Harry Potter' books: a London apartment
- On Thursday, a
fan implored JK Rowling on Twitter to "tell me the truth"—and she did, with a reveal that may have surprised many readers. CNN notes that the initial tweet included a picture of the Elephant House, a coffeehouse in Edinburgh, Scotland, which has...
At Age 4, He
Knew He'd Write.
His Creation: a
Mar 31, 2020 9:02 AM CDT
At Age 4, He Knew He'd Write. His Creation: a Famous Witch
'Strega Nona' author Tomie dePaola dies at age 85 after complications, surgery following a bad fall
- Tomie dePaola, the prolific children's author and illustrator who delighted generations with tales of Strega Nona, the kindly and helpful old witch in Italy, died Monday at age 85 at the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon, NH, according to his literary agent. He was badly injured in a fall...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Five Fired Memphis Cops Are Charged With Murder
The Suspects in Calif. Shootings Are 'Particularly Stunning'
Popular Disney Ride Has Closed, and It's Getting 'Weird'
Screenshots Live Forever, as Santos Is Now Finding Out
Lawsuit: Woman, 97, Froze to Death in View of Facility's Security Cameras
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.