Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Jul 1, 2019 8:47 AM CDT
'Head-Turning' 2nd Quarter for Buttigieg: $24.8M
Indiana mayor is first Democratic candidate to announce this quarter's haul
- If anyone had doubts that Pete Buttigieg is a serious contender for president, those doubts may dissipate after a look at the latest fundraising numbers. After bringing in a notable $7 million in his first three months of the race, Buttigieg's campaign announced Monday that they raised $24.8...
He Raised $7M
in 3 Months.
Jun 17, 2019 11:50 AM CDT
He Raised $7M in 3 Months. Now $7M More, in Just One
Presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg takes in massively impressive haul in April
- Pete Buttigieg seemingly came out of nowhere when he entered the 2020 race, and Politico points to a new development as evidence of his "explosive rise" since. When the mayor from South Bend, Ind., first jumped into the presidential fray, he raised $7 million during his first three months...
Apr 9, 2019 7:41 AM CDT
After Parents Disowned Her,
Fans Raise $90K
Jess Guilbeaux is going back to school, thanks to help from strangers who saw her on 'Queer Eye'
- When a GoFundMe was set up for Jess Guilbeaux, the goal of $100,000 for the 23-year-old— whose story of being disowned by her adoptive parents after they discovered she was gay appeared on Netflix's third season of
—seemed far off. Now that crowdfunding initiative has reached...
She Was Disowned for
Being Gay. Then the
Guys Stepped In
Mar 20, 2019 10:25 AM CDT
She Was Disowned for Being Gay. Then the
Guys Stepped In
Netflix episode featuring Jess Guilbeaux has proved to be an 'ugly cry' one
- Netflix recently started streaming the third season of
, and one episode in particular is causing people to "ugly cry." NBC News reports on "Black Girl Magic," the fifth episode, which puts 23-year-old Jess Guilbeaux in the spotlight. Guilbeaux, a waitress in Lawrence, Kan., was...
Team Should Be Celebrating
Feb 20, 2019 11:28 AM CST
Sanders' Fundraising Team Should Be Celebrating
Campaign raised a whopping $5.9M in 24 hours
- Front-runner, indeed . Just 24 hours after officially kicking off his campaign for president, Bernie Sanders has lined his pockets with $5.9 million raised from more than 225,000 donors, according to the Vermont senator's campaign. The
New York Times
reports the tally is "not unexpected" but...
Got Trolled on
Twitter. His Troll
Is Now 'Humbled'
Jan 25, 2019 1:02 PM CST
Patton Oswalt Got Trolled on Twitter. His Troll Is Now 'Humbled'
Comedian directed fans to donate money to sick man's GoFundMe
- A Twitter troll went after Patton Oswalt—and the comedian managed to turn it into one of the most uplifting stories of the week. It started Wednesday, when Oswalt made fun of President Trump on Twitter , which provoked snarky reactions from 64-year-old Michael Beatty, including saying he was happy Oswalt'...
He Asked a
Student to Leave.
Nov 6, 2018 11:44 AM CST
He Asked a Student to Leave. Then Fists Started Flying
GoFundMe for Marston Riley raises $75K after he got into fight with teen
- A high school music teacher in California was arrested Friday and charged with child abuse after he got into a physical fight with a 14-year-old student who verbally provoked him in class.
has cellphone video of the incident at Maywood Academy High School, where 64-year-old Marston Riley can...
Muslims Quickly Raise
Money for Synagogue Victims
Oct 29, 2018 10:15 AM CDT
Muslims Quickly Raise Money for Synagogue Victims
The total has surpassed $100K
- In the immediate aftermath of the synagogue shooting in Pittsburgh, two Muslim nonprofit groups set out to raise $25,000 for victims on the crowdfunding site LaunchGood . They passed that goal within six hours, reports the
Times of Israel
. In fact, as of Monday morning, the groups CelebrateMercy and MPower...
Anti-Collins Groups: As She
Spoke, the Cash Poured In
Oct 6, 2018 6:30 AM CDT
Anti-Collins Groups: As She Spoke, the Cash Poured In
Activists say they now have more than $3M to offer to the Maine senator's 2020 opponent
- She was deemed the Democrats' "last big hope" to derail the confirmation of Brett Kavanaugh as Supreme Court justice. But as it became clear Friday during Susan Collins' 45-minute-long speech on the Senate floor that Maine's GOP senator was going to greenlight Kavanaugh, money started flowing in to...
Trump Has a Gift for
Jul 26, 2018 5:45 PM CDT
Trump Has a Gift for House Republicans
The president releases funds from his campaign coffers
- House Republican candidates, check your campaign accounts: A nice donation may be headed your way. President Trump himself has let his re-election campaign share funds with 100 GOP candidates in House and Senate races—not a ton, but still thousands per lucky contender, Politico reports. And the Republican National Committee...
After Parkland, NRA
Donations Poured In
Apr 24, 2018 12:12 PM CDT
After Parkland, NRA Donations Poured In
Group's political arm broke 15-year fundraising record in March
- The NRA's political arm had its biggest fundraising month in 15 years in the aftermath of the February school shooting in Parkland, Fla. The NRA's Political Victory Fund in March pulled in $2.4 million, all but $500,000 coming in increments of less than $200, reports the...
She Made It to College. He Was
Determined to Help Her Stay
Nov 2, 2017 12:30 PM CDT
She Made It to College. He Was Determined to Help Her Stay
Teacher helps former student raise funds to stay in school
- Kevonna Stevens graduated as valedictorian of her class and became the first of her family to head to college, thanks in part to teacher Jason Boll, who helped her apply. Now Boll is stepping up for Stevens again, in an even bigger way. The 18-year-old told the Pittsburgh teacher in...
Dad Devastated by School
Lunch Shaming Takes Action
Aug 29, 2017 8:53 AM CDT
Dad Devastated by School Lunch Shaming Takes Action
Jeffrey Lew wants to pay off lunch debt for every student in Washington state
- Jeffrey Lew never wants a child to be shamed on the school cafeteria line again. That's why the Seattle dad of three has been hard at work fundraising, with one goal in mind: to pay down the school lunch debt of every student in the state of Washington. Today....
A Doctor's Visit, a Shocking
Find: She Had No Vagina
Aug 18, 2017 2:16 PM CDT
A Doctor's Visit, a Shocking Find: She Had No Vagina
Kaylee Moats is fundraising for a surgical remedy for genetic disorder
is reporting on the fundraising efforts of an Arizona woman "raising money so she can have sex," though it's more complex than the headline might imply. That woman is 22-year-old Kaylee Moats, who tells Barcroft TV that when she was 18, her 12-year-old sister...
Trump Business Billed Son's
Charity for Use of Course
Jun 7, 2017 10:47 AM CDT
Trump Business Billed Son's Charity for Use of Course
'Forbes': Trump Organization got $1.2M out of children's cancer fundraiser
- It's an unusually busy week for President Trump on the political front, but an investigative story by
that casts his family's charity work in a bad light is percolating as well. The upshot of the piece by Dan Alexander is that the Trump Organization made money off...
Man Starts GoFundMe Page to
Buy $15K Engagement Ring
Apr 5, 2017 5:00 PM CDT
Man Starts GoFundMe Page to Buy $15K Engagement Ring
The internet is apparently having none of it
- Beyonce famously said: "If you liked it, then you should have put a ring on it." Few people know that famous line was directed not at a man, but at his friends and family. Or at least that's the lesson William Oliver apparently took away. The 30-year-old...
Emmett Till Memorial Sign
Marred by 'So Much Hatred'
Oct 24, 2016 12:06 AM CDT
Emmett Till Memorial Sign Marred by 'So Much Hatred'
But fundraiser hits goal to replace Mississippi marker riddled by bullets
- A bullet-riddled sign marking the spot where the tortured and mutilated body of 14-year-old Emmett Till was found in Mississippi's Tallahatchie River 61 years ago will be replaced thanks to the generosity of donors. An Emmett Till Interpretive Center fundraising challenge surpassed its $15,000 goal Sunday evening, the...
Dems Raise $13K to Reopen
Firebombed GOP Office
Oct 17, 2016 5:03 AM CDT
Dems Raise $13K to Reopen Firebombed GOP Office
They blew past fundraising goal in hours
- Democrats disgusted by the firebombing of a GOP office in Orange County, NC, set up a GoFundMe page to help reopen it and blew past their $10,000 goal within hours Sunday. "Thank you all for showing that Americans are thirsty for civility and decency, and that we love...
Cash: $1.29M, to
Jun 21, 2016 6:35 AM CDT
Trump Campaign's Cash: $1.29M, to Hillary's $42M
Clinton outraised him 9 to 1 in May
- Donald Trump's campaign is so low on cash it wouldn't be considered a high roller at one of his casinos, according to financial disclosures released late Monday. The Trump campaign began June with just $1.29 million in cash, compared to $42 million for Hillary Clinton's well-heeled...
Teen Bullied as
'Fat Whale' Now
Mar 16, 2016 11:23 AM CDT
Teen Bullied as 'Fat Whale' Now Raising Cash for Whales
'I can take someone's hate and use it to spread love': 16-year-old Dee McMillan
- When Dannie "Dee" McMillan first started noticing odd looks and snickers in the hallways of her Texas high school, she wasn't sure what was going on, the
New York Daily News
reports. But the 16-year-old's friends soon started sending her screenshots of a Twitter page that horrified...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Anne Heche 'Wasn't Doing Real Well' at Crash Scene
30-Year-Old Cold Case Closed With Surprise Discovery
Pete Rose on Sex Misconduct Claims: '55 Years Ago, Babe'
Liz Cheney Reveals Her Thoughts on DeSantis
Outbreak Strands 80K Tourists
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.